Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-09-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
sonny

Default Engine steady rods

I hear talk of these engine steady rods,I don't have them. Should I? I have a 32 BB 1.5 ton dually. 4 cyl.
sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:52 AM   #2
JonC

Default Re: Engine steady rods

I believe the purpose for the rods are to keep the motor and trans from moving fore and aft. This prevents the fan from hitting the radiator. I did not have the rods in my 36 when I first got it but put a set in. Someone else can tell you if you really need them but I thought if they were installed when new they had a purpose.
JonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
Seth Swoboda

I don't beileve a 4 cylinder B engine will have "engine steady" rods. Only the V8's.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:05 AM   #4
NealinCA

B cars had them, but I don't know about trucks.
NealinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:42 AM   #5
ora masters

Smile Re: Engine steady rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealinCA View Post
B cars had them, but I don't know about trucks.
yes B trucks have them mine does
ora masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
Joe KCMO

Are necessary, because of the torque tube attached to the transmision. When the engine torques it causes the clutch to chatter ( clutch becomes cocked against pressure plate). Therefore the term anti-chatter rods. In my case, I could not drive the car in reverse up an incline without them.
Joe KCMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:36 PM   #7
sonny

I was told by a friend that the cars and pickups used them but the BB's did not. If I was supposed to have them, where do they go and where would I get them? This truck is 157" w/b 1.5 ton dually. Thanks.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:31 PM   #8
rotorwrench

The big trucks that have dual fore & aft mounted rear springs should not need them since the forward push of the rear axle it transfered to the springs as on the later open drive vehicles. All the transverse rear spring types with a torque tube would do better with them than not.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #9
DavidG

No engine steady rods are listed for BB trucks in the '32 parts catalogues (the ones published in 1932) and that's borne out by the Ford Archives photo below. All 106" wheelbase chassis (passenger and commercial) did have the rods, be they fours or V-8s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image Expert Photos 725.jpg (34.3 KB, 99 views)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:28 PM   #10
37ford4dr

just above the starter you can see the rod that goes to the frame. on my 37 4dr sedan there is one on each side

37ford4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:52 PM   #11
40fordpu

Check the old posts on the issue. I did a lot of research on the topic because of my 8ba and 59ab. I actually had bought some brackets from someone on here to install my 8ba on my 40 pickup. If I remember correctly they are needed only because of the drive shaft/torque tube. There are even forums that talk about fabricating the bars from all thread stock. Good luck.
40fordpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:06 PM   #12
Zaemo
BANNED

Even after reading your book, David, I am still unclear if the 4 and 8 cyl rods are different. What I gathered was that the diameter of the rod changed but the length was the same. Is that true?
I need to get a pair on my 32 but have yet to figure out how to attach them to a late Merc flathead.

Z
32-34 Roadster Windshield Cones

Original 32 Straight Rear Spreader Bar

Zaemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:31 PM   #13
John R

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
No engine steady rods are listed for BB trucks in the '32 parts catalogues (the ones published in 1932) and that's borne out by the Ford Archives photo below. All 106" wheelbase chassis (passenger and commercial) did have the rods, be they fours or V-8s.
Steady rods are not needed for the BB trucks because the torque tube provides forward thrust through the crossmember at the front of the tube. The rear springs are double shackled, so they don't provide any fore-aft thrust.
John R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:20 PM   #14
sonny

Thanks for all the info. Been into street rods all my life and kinda lost my need for speed. Bought this 32bb and keeping it stock. Just want a nice driver that I don't have to detail every time it leaves the yard.Had a 36 5window with 365 fueler s/b, 400 turbo etc. Had a 35 tudor with a 392 Hemi. Had a 48 Anglia, set up for s/b but never completed. Used to race my chevy's and Mopars in the 60's until Uncle Sam came a calling.Just last year sold my 29 tudor, chopped 302 etc. This is just more relaxing. Thanks again.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #15
Joe KCMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaemo View Post
Even after reading your book, David, I am still unclear if the 4 and 8 cyl rods are different. What I gathered was that the diameter of the rod changed but the length was the same. Is that true?
I need to get a pair on my 32 but have yet to figure out how to attach them to a late Merc flathead.

Z
If your engine is similar to an 8BA I have the solution for attaching rods to the engine. The solution is two s shaped brackets. They bolt on to the side of the bell housing. After being bolted on, they provided a mounting hole for the rods which the later v8's do not have. I have the pattern I could send you.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:53 PM   #16
Strick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaemo View Post

Z
Z - cool avatar. can't wait to see it in person. check out av8paul's old post in the classified....

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ht=steady+rods
Strick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:20 PM   #17
gearhead1952

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe KCMO View Post
If your engine is similar to an 8BA I have the solution for attaching rods to the engine. The solution is two s shaped brackets. They bolt on to the side of the bell housing. After being bolted on, they provided a mounting hole for the rods which the later v8's do not have. I have the pattern I could send you.
I would be interested in seeing your solution and maybe a pic and/or pattern. Thanks

Are the steady rods reproduced by anyone? I'd like to find a nice pair.

Last edited by gearhead1952; 11-10-2011 at 11:39 PM.
gearhead1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:46 PM   #18
DavidG

Zaemo,

It is a bit confusing, but you are unlikely to encounter the very early version of the early '32 large diameter V-8 rods so ignoring those, the typical '32 four cylinder rods are longer in overall length than the typical '32 V-8 rods. This difference is only in overall length. They are the same length from where they attach to the center cross member to the shoulder on the rod (see photo). The four-cylinder rods can be cut off on the threaded end and re-threaded to exactly duplicate the original V-8.

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Book photos 152-a.jpg (24.3 KB, 80 views)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:09 AM   #19
Joe KCMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead1952 View Post
I would be interested in seeing your solution and maybe a pic and/or pattern. Thanks

Are the steady rods reproduced by anyone? I'd like to find a nice pair.

I made my own rods for a 39 ford. Frame end Welded a washer at the end of a steel rod and threaded the end that would go thru the engine. Not very difficult.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:23 AM   #20
Joe KCMO

[QUOTE=gearhead1952;304524]I would be interested in seeing your solution and maybe a pic and/or pattern. Thanks

Gearhead52,

Here is what I am using. Instructions written on pattern. One bolts on each side of the bell housing. Puts a chatter rod mounting hole on a 8BA where there used to be a whole on 48 and down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chatter Rod Adaptor.jpg (12.4 KB, 112 views)