Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-21-2018, 06:05 PM   #1
flash9376

Default Play in shifter.

I have a 30 Tudor that I have restored a few years ago and like to tinker around with. There has always been a lot of play in the shifter, it doesn't pop out of gear or anything but it's really wobbly and it's always bugged me. Before i start pulling things apart, I was wondering g if any one knew what is causing this? Is something worn or is the spring lost its tension or what. Any input would beappreciated. Thanks.
flash9376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:09 PM   #2
Synchro909

Default Re: Play in shifter.

Compared to modern cars, the Model A gear stick is very long. That being so, you should expect there to appear to be a lot of play at the top. Have you done a comparison with other Model As? If it ain’t broke, don’t diddle with it.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:23 PM   #3
Charlie Stephens

Comment deleted, I was thinking of the later shift tower.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 06-21-2018 at 07:38 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:19 PM   #4
Terry, NJ

Mine was so loose it would occassionlly almost go into two gears at once. I fixed it but it ain't easy. The easy way is to buy a rebuilt shift tower (Snyder's Pg A 135, $130) All it takes is money! However they can be rebuilt. It ain't easy! Get it off the trans ( The easy part!) Now study it, how it works, Take picture! There are ball detents to hold the shifter shafts in place, replace them and the springs! The squarish ball on the end of the shift lever should be round. It must be welded and reshaped. I forged mine after welding, but first you have to get the thing apart. That spring can be a SOB to get in and out. It requires special tool. Also available from the dealers. I made mine but I realize not everyone wants to do that. You'll also need a micrometer when shaping the ball. (and it's supposed be round, not squared off as yours probably is. There are more details to this job so if you choose to do it yourself, Keep in touch with progress reports and we'll give you guidance as you go!
Terry

Last edited by Terry, NJ; 06-21-2018 at 08:26 PM.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:34 AM   #5
marty in Ohio

As Terry says, the ball on the end of the shifter may be worn. I had that problem this week as I was having trouble getting into second gear. On mine the round ball had turned into a cube. A friend welded and ground the stick so that it was like new. The ball is supposed to be 1/2 inch in diameter. The hard part is releasing the spring. We used a homemade tool to do the spring. Two hours and so swearing, but now good as new.
Marty
marty in Ohio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:33 AM   #6
FordTudor1931

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
It is also possible that the forks are worn. The shifter ball fits into a notch in the forks and that notch can be worn.

I just pulled the tower on my 31 Tudor apart and while the ball was nice and round and .49 inches in diameter, one fork had a notch that was almost 7/8" in the opening allowing for some serious shifter movement. Since you can't buy shifter forks anymore, I had a welder reduce the opening down to .5". Didn't think it was that easy, but it took him a few minutes and he charged me all of $10.

The fix did the trick and I didn't have to remove the shifter spring...!
FordTudor1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:40 AM   #7
Terry, NJ

FWIW, I like to weld and pound the ball into shape. Forging toughens metal. If I had some Casenit or Brownell's I would give it a good case hardening. I would grind it to shape first and then case harden it. I believe it is supposed to be .500 (Fore and aft)the sides can be .490. and the dimension must be held in both the 2nd and 3rd (1st and Rev.) position without any bind. A file is useful here.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:51 AM   #8
PRG999

So , with the work involved to restore a shifter, if you don't have the knowledge or the tools is synders rebuilt shifters the way to go?
PRG999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:08 AM   #9
marty in Ohio

PRG999,
In my opinion, Snyders is always an excellent choice. They've never steered me wrong. But remember they must have your rebuildable core before they can ship a rebuilt tower out to you.
Marty
marty in Ohio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:45 AM   #10
chap52

i just watched a couple of good videos on You Tube on "rebuilding the Model A shift Tower"
Using two different spring removal tools;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPDxo8z5V1M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4ZsjS-qlW0
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:09 PM   #11
WHN

I would question the condition of shift tower.

Replaced ours many years ago. Shifts fine, with no question of what gear you are going into. Not loose at all.

It does sometimes take spending of some money to keep these guys going correctly.
WHN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:26 PM   #12
FordTudor1931

PRG999, if you need a new shifter, Snyder's would do the trick. Rebuilding the transmission tower isn't difficult, except for the shifter spring. If you know how to handle that you are home free, without getting a rebuilt tower from the supplier.
FordTudor1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:40 PM   #13
Terry, NJ

We're getting some good info out to some people who need it Hope it helps!
Terry

Last edited by Terry, NJ; 06-23-2018 at 07:59 PM.