Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-05-2018, 07:06 AM   #101
FrankWest

Default Re: marvel mystery oil

MMO contains Naphtha. It was an old watchmakers cleaner for watch and clock movements.. The same action of Naphtha along with fine machine oil in MMO dissolves buildup and lubricates too. Great product.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:55 AM   #102
Art Newland

I recently purchased an 8BA for my 49 F1. The fellow bought it with intentions to replace a six cylinder in a 46 coupe. He didn't realize it wasn't going to be a straight across swap and other things would have to change to get the V8 in there. So for the last 6-7 years he would start it up on the test stand to show his buddies. For me it would miss and pop and snap and I could hear a valve snap shut after being stuck open. A few drops of MMO down the carb and a good shot in the fuel tank had it smoothed out in about 30 seconds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-BwooaXbqs
Old 06-05-2018, 07:33 PM   #103
Corley

The biggest mystery to me is why anyone would pay $7.00 a quart for some thin oil with solvent in it. But that's just my CAMO side talking. (CAMO means Cheap A__ Model A Owner)
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:09 AM   #104
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corley View Post
The biggest mystery to me is why anyone would pay $7.00 a quart for some thin oil with solvent in it. But that's just my CAMO side talking. (CAMO means Cheap A__ Model A Owner)
Naphtha is no longer CHEAP..I was surprised that last time I purchased it.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:10 AM   #105
Art Newland

Hey Corley, have you ever been sorry you went cheap? 8^)
Old 06-06-2018, 10:12 AM   #106
Clem Clement

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I use low cost ATF from the dolla store. Just found a jug of Power steering fluid. the goes in next
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:44 AM   #107
Corley

Talking Re: marvel mystery oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
Hey Corley, have you ever been sorry you went cheap? 8^)

YES, but not too often.

We've all got oil stories I guess. I've got a '99 Vette, and on a long trip it came due for an oil change, so I pulled into one of those quick change places. They didn't have the Mobil One (Full synthetic recommended by Chevrolet, and I've always used in it), so I let them put in some Amsoil full synthetic. After about 100 miles, it developed a tic-tic valve lifter issue. When I got home, (about 2000 miles later and still tic tic-ing), I replaced the Amsoil with Mobil One, and in about 100 miles, the tic tic went away and hasn't been back since.
It probably had nothing to do with the oil used, but it COULD have, so most people would probably claim Mobil One is better than Amsoil. Personally, I doubt that, and attribute it to coinkydink.

Now I bet if only I had added a $7 quart of MMO, (which by the way, I've been told is excellent for sewing machines and warts), I'm sure all my problems would have dissolved into lovely bliss. Since I did not do that, owning to my CAMO nature, we'll never know for sure. ;~)
Old 06-06-2018, 11:31 AM   #108
FrankWest

Funny stuff..
Maybe mind over matter??
Still I think Thinner oil is good sometimes because it wets the parts better than heavy oil.
A solvent like Napthta could unstick valves and other motor parts just like it unsticks clock and watch movements...I have witnessed it work there on old stuck movements.
I wonder how much Naphtha an engine could take.,m it does evaporate.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:48 AM   #109
Corley

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWest View Post
Funny stuff..
Maybe mind over matter??
Still I think Thinner oil is good sometimes because it wets the parts better than heavy oil.
A solvent like Napthta could unstick valves and other motor parts just like it unsticks clock and watch movements...I have witnessed it work there on old stuck movements.
I wonder how much Naphtha an engine could take.,m it does evaporate.
Just thinking here, (something I don't do too often), but does Naphtha (sp) actually evaporate out of MMO? Would, perhaps, the molicules of the Naphtha be surrounded by the oils molicules and stay in suspention? Otherwise, if one left the lid off of a bottle of MMO, wouldn't about 25% of it just evaporate? (Or would the bottle just overflow with dead flys, attracted to the nice smell? Oh no, MMO might be hazzardous to my health, if it kills flys! Never drink the Koolaid folks! Personally, I wouldn't even sniff the stuff!)

So, about that thinner oil. Most manufacturers now day recommend thinner oils in engines. Most seem to recommend something like 5w - 20w. Therefore, my brain says thinner might be good. But, my brain also tells me that might be why they sell thinner oil, and I should probably not try to create it with some witches brew. (A little mineral oil, a little mineral spirits, some lard, a sprinkle of other crap, oh wait, that is what the NTSB found MMO contains, so maybe I CAN home brew it!). I think I'll just buy thinner oil ready to go instead of the brew my own route by adding MMO to heavier oil. But I suppose that's just me being CAMO.

But wait! Who said thin oil is good in an old model A engine anyway? Hum, I'm not so sure with the older technology (that's a big word I use now and the, I'm not sure what it means, but it impressed some folks a lot). Anyway, model As seem to be better suited to a bit thicker oil, something around 20w - 30w, with their greater tolerances. That's just what I thought just now anyway... You go ahead and think on it too though, two brains are sometimes better than one, right?

PS. Just remembered, I saw some greasy looking stuff on the road from a dead possum, that seemed pretty slippery. Please just ignore all the above, I'm now cojitating on grinding up banana peals to make a new motor oil additive, after all, banana peals are pretty slippery. (At $7 a bottle, I might get rich and move up to restoring Chevies instead of Fords! ) Need a catchy name for it, maybe "Nanna Piss", or something like that. Now that brings up another problem, is "piss" a dirty word or not? It was when I was little, but now days,,,,,,,

Last edited by Corley; 06-07-2018 at 08:56 AM.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:57 PM   #110
DHZIEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corley View Post
Just thinking here, (something I don't do too often), but does Naphtha (sp) actually evaporate out of MMO? Would, perhaps, the molicules of the Naphtha be surrounded by the oils molicules and stay in suspention? Otherwise, if one left the lid off of a bottle of MMO, wouldn't about 25% of it just evaporate? (Or would the bottle just overflow with dead flys, attracted to the nice smell? Oh no, MMO might be hazzardous to my health, if it kills flys! Never drink the Koolaid folks! Personally, I wouldn't even sniff the stuff!)

So, about that thinner oil. Most manufacturers now day recommend thinner oils in engines. Most seem to recommend something like 5w - 20w. Therefore, my brain says thinner might be good. But, my brain also tells me that might be why they sell thinner oil, and I should probably not try to create it with some witches brew. (A little mineral oil, a little mineral spirits, some lard, a sprinkle of other crap, oh wait, that is what the NTSB found MMO contains, so maybe I CAN home brew it!). I think I'll just buy thinner oil ready to go instead of the brew my own route by adding MMO to heavier oil. But I suppose that's just me being CAMO.

But wait! Who said thin oil is good in an old model A engine anyway? Hum, I'm not so sure with the older technology (that's a big word I use now and the, I'm not sure what it means, but it impressed some folks a lot). Anyway, model As seem to be better suited to a bit thicker oil, something around 20w - 30w, with their greater tolerances. That's just what I thought just now anyway... You go ahead and think on it too though, two brains are sometimes better than one, right?

PS. Just remembered, I saw some greasy looking stuff on the road from a dead possum, that seemed pretty slippery. Please just ignore all the above, I'm now cojitating on grinding up banana peals to make a new motor oil additive, after all, banana peals are pretty slippery. (At $7 a bottle, I might get rich and move up to restoring Chevies instead of Fords! ) Need a catchy name for it, maybe "Nanna Piss", or something like that. Now that brings up another problem, is "piss" a dirty word or not? It was when I was little, but now days,,,,,,,

Lotta people like it! I have never seen the need to use it! And the ole model A runs fine!
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:42 PM   #111
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHZIEMAN View Post
Lotta people like it! I have never seen the need to use it! And the ole model A runs fine!
Just try it once in your gas. You might be surprised. It will not do any damage.
WHN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 03:10 PM   #112
Bob-A

Thumbs up Re: marvel mystery oil

I add MMO to the gas of my '31 A (& '29 Chevy) and never have to worry about vapor lock . Funny thing: I'm constantly checking my Zenith carb on my "A" for gas leaks. And the only thing I find underneath the carb, when checking, is a light film of MMO...?!?

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:08 PM   #113
DHZIEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-A View Post
I add MMO to the gas of my '31 A (& '29 Chevy) and never have to worry about vapor lock . Funny thing: I'm constantly checking my Zenith carb on my "A" for gas leaks. And the only thing I find underneath the carb, when checking, is a light film of MMO...?!?

Bob-A
Bob;

I will keep it in mind as a suggestion. At present, too many other things on this old girl are drawing my attention. Regards.........
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:08 PM   #114
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
Just try it once in your gas. You might be surprised. It will not do any damage.

I agree, and I think my Model A does run and sound better since I started using it. Today's gas doesn't have the lubricity of the good gas of the 60's and 70's, so adding a bit of oil is a good thing. It should also help keep the gas tank from rusting.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:42 PM   #115
oldforder

I put MMO in the gas in all my old cars and my OPE. But it didn't keep the A from vapor locking last week when it was really hot. Of course I also had an in line filter on it also. Yes it was a fuel problem, and not electrical, as I took off the line, and no fuel came to the carb, but it came out of the sediment bowl. I have now removed the filter, and covered the line, and no more problem. I have never had a car vapor lock before . Yes it is non alcohol gas. And yes I will continue to use MMO.
oldforder is offline   Reply With Quote