Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-13-2014, 10:38 AM   #1
kcav8or

Default Model A Exhaust/Muffler Options

What are some good options for exhaust and muffler replacement on a '31 Model A? I see that Snyder's has a reproduction part for around $200, but I'm not necessarily interested in an exact replacement if there are other options that work as well for much less. A reproduction is nice, but this isn't a show car. What have others done?
kcav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:00 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Model A Exhaust/Muffler Options

I bought the stainless dented seconds at a lower price. The small dent doesn't matter much as it isn't seen and being stainless it should last for my lifetime.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:02 PM   #3
kcav8or

Where did you get it?
Old 01-13-2014, 12:07 PM   #4
Brother Hesekiel

Here you go:

http://www.amuffler.com/content/hiperform.htm

Brother Hesekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:25 PM   #5
Purdy Swoft

If you've got the old muffler and exhaust pipe, Take it to a shop with a pipe bender and have them copy the head pipe and tail pipe. You can buy a straight through glass pack muffler at a fairly low price and either weld or clamp the made up head and tail pipes to the glass pack muffler. The straight through muffler will have less back pressure whiuch should give a little extra power. The glass pack muffler, though straight through with less back pressure will be quiter but won't sound quite the same as a tapered style model A muffler. This is the least expensive way to go. I bought up a few of the old repro mufflers before they went off the market. The old repros were way TOO restrictive. I removed the end cones and completely gutted the repro muffler. The gutted repro was only slightly louder but still had the model A ring as far as I was conserned. The gutted repro gave a noticeable improvement over an unmodified repro. I've had people that really should know better try and tell me that gutting the repro muffler would make no improvement. The gutted repro muffler doesn't have the mandril bent pipes that the over two hundred dollar muffler has but still has way less backpressure than the old unmodified repro, that most of us have used at one time or another, if they owned model A's long enough. I learned as a teenager that less backpressure increases power whether the pipes are mandril bent or otherwise.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:32 PM   #6
montanafordman

I know its a lot of money, but the Aries muffler will fit better, and sound better than anything else you will find and likely have more power. If you drop the money and get the Aries muffler you won't regret it. I went with the plain steel as henry built it.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:15 PM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcav8or View Post
Where did you get it?
They used to show up on ebay about 10 or 15 years ago, but I haven't seen them for a long time. I got it for about half price, but you might have to pop for the new full price one these days.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:14 PM   #8
MikeK

Yes, bite the bullet and get an Aries made to Ford print muffler. Cheapest direct from their website. After some undesirable experiences with the stainless version, I'd opt for the painted steel. If you do go stainless, you need a special rear clamp. Al in NY has the best solution for that, made from a rubber strap type standard parts store exhaust pipe hangar, bent as shown in this thread: LINK
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:30 PM   #9
kcav8or

What about this package?

http://macsautoparts.com/model-a-for...0II4G61000122/
Old 01-13-2014, 04:35 PM   #10
Bob/Kansas City

[QUOTE=Purdy Swoft;802669]If you've got the old muffler and exhaust pipe, Take it to a shop with a pipe bender and have them copy the head pipe and tail pipe. You can buy a straight through glass pack muffler at a fairly low price and either weld or clamp the made up head and tail pipes to the glass pack muffler. The straight through muffler will have less back pressure whiuch should give a little extra power. The glass pack muffler, though straight through with less back pressure will be quiter but won't sound quite the same as a tapered style model A muffler. QUOTE]

That's a great idea but I can't quite imagine what an A would sound like with a glass pack? Was it anything like the traditional model A sound?
Bob/Kansas City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:16 PM   #11
Purdy Swoft

Actually the glass pack was quieter and not traditional sound. It did serve the purpose at a low cost. If the head and tail pipes are still good they may could be used. The good thing about having new pipes bent is that you can use larger diameter pipe for better flow and fit at the manifold. The best for most is bite the bullet and buy the new muffler.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:26 PM   #12
kcav8or

So how much does the typical muffler shop charge to do the custom bending and glass pack combo? And what should you look for to determine whether the manifold is salvageable?
Old 01-13-2014, 06:38 PM   #13
Purdy Swoft

Its been several years since I had pipes bent but it wasn't that expensive.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:29 PM   #14
41plym

Aries makes a great product at a reasonable price. I don't think you will leave a muffler shop any cheaper or better.
41plym

Last edited by 41plym; 01-13-2014 at 07:30 PM. Reason: spelling
41plym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:40 PM   #15
Mitch//pa
BANNED

does the paint on the aries muffy's hold up ?
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:27 PM   #16
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
does the paint on the aries muffy's hold up ?

Yes and no.

The black does turn somewhat grey over time. The hotter areas turn lighter color. However, the paint does not come off.

The stainless and painted steel Aries mufflers sound different. The stainless has a slight "ring" to it while the steel is a little quieter.

With the Tudor idling at 250 RPM, you couldn't even tell it was running when standing behind it after going with the Aries steel muffler. Very nice to not have to yell at passengers in order to converse while at highway speed.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:33 PM   #17
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
Yes and no.

The black does turn somewhat grey over time. The hotter areas turn lighter color. However, the paint does not come off.

The stainless and painted steel Aries mufflers sound different. The stainless has a slight "ring" to it while the steel is a little quieter.

With the Tudor idling at 250 RPM, you couldn't even tell it was running when standing behind it after going with the Aries steel muffler. Very nice to not have to yell at passengers in order to converse while at highway speed.
thanks P.S.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:57 PM   #18
Afordman31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcav8or View Post
So how much does the typical muffler shop charge to do the custom bending and glass pack combo? And what should you look for to determine whether the manifold is salvageable?
I had the front pipe made using a stock Model a muffler for a pattern. The front pipe cost me $30 for material and having it bent. I also used a cherry bomb muffler with no tailpipe. The shop said if I wanted a tailpipe they could copy my Model a muffler and make me one. I opted for just the front pipe as it is on a speedster I am putting together. Had this made last summer. Afordman31
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130607_115022_962.jpg (67.8 KB, 267 views)
Afordman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:56 PM   #19
BILL WILLIAMSON

On Minerva, I ran a straight tube, way back, a 12" glasspack, a smooth curved pipe to a NASCAR lookin' tip, peeking out under the rear of the running board. Sounded superb & DIDN'T sound typical Model A. Cost was $150.
Bill W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MINERVA CC.jpg (97.2 KB, 128 views)
Old 01-14-2014, 01:29 AM   #20
silversink

what do they sound like with straight exhaust? I'm thinking on that route until I save enough to get a real one