Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-18-2019, 07:51 PM   #1
flash9376

Default Starter issue

Okay, so I've been having an issue with my starter that has me stumped. I've read through the forums and can't find anything that addresses my specific issue so I thought I'd just ask. SO here it is:

Simply, my starter won't turn over the engine. I have a new battery and a new starter. The starter turns when its off the car and hooked straight to the battery. When it's on the car, I get nothing, somethings it makes a noise like its trying to spin, some times nothing. I has tried it with the switch on, nothing, I've taken the switch off, nothing, I've taken the battery cables off and used a pair of jumper cables to go from the battery right to the starter, nothing. I did test it on the car with a 12 volt battery and the starter struggled a great deal to turn the engine. Took the plugs out, same issue. Took the starter off the car and tested it again and it works fine. I'm thinking there's a bad ground or something is shorting somewhere, but even with nothing connected, no wired, etc, just jumper cables from the battery to the starter, its struggles a great deal or doesn't work at all.

The lights are not hooked up, I get a spark when I hand-crank it, the starter just won't turn the engine, but works fine off the car. New starter, new battery, I'm out of ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
flash9376 is offline   Reply With Quote