Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-29-2019, 02:00 AM   #1
Lawrie

Default cast iron pistons

I just stripped a model A engine,it had cast iron pistons ,
I,m sure Ford would not have used them, it was std bore
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:41 AM   #2
ryanheacox

Default Re: cast iron pistons

Period aftermarket?

Read an article in Hemmings about cars that were built just before production stopped for WWII coming with cast iron pistons because of aluminum shortages. I think the cars in the article were a Buick and a Plymouth, both 1942 models.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:23 AM   #3
john charlton

It was most likely used as an industrial engine to run on kerosine or parafine (in England) A special inlet manifold was used where the exaust gas was routed to heat the inlet tract to aid vapourisation.The engine would be started on gasoline and when hot enough switched over to kerosine rather like a Fordson tractor . The cast iron pistons held their heat better to allow combustion of the lower grade fuel . I have had several engines like this out a saw mill etc etc .mostly B engines .

John in cold snow on the way Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 05:01 PM   #4
Joe K

You don't say if your engine is the standard 200 cubic inch Model A engine or if its the "reduced bore" engine used in England because of the arcane tax laws. The engines can be told from the external view. Check out images at https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ll+bore+engine

If the reduced bore engine, it might have been fitted with Model T pistons. Someone more familiar with the two Model A engine variants AND the Model T engine could verify this thought.

Ford didn't waste a thing. And doubtless Ford storage was filled with cast iron Model T pistons.

Vince Falter (www.fordgarage.com) has an extensive write-up on engine numbering and the prefixes that might (but not always) accompany a "small bore" (14.9hp) engine. http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/ABenginenumbers.htm

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 01-30-2019 at 05:06 PM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:44 PM   #5
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
You don't say if your engine is the standard 200 cubic inch Model A engine or if its the "reduced bore" engine used in England because of the arcane tax laws. The engines can be told from the external view. Check out images at https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ll+bore+engine

If the reduced bore engine, it might have been fitted with Model T pistons. Someone more familiar with the two Model A engine variants AND the Model T engine could verify this thought.

Ford didn't waste a thing. And doubtless Ford storage was filled with cast iron Model T pistons.

Vince Falter (www.fordgarage.com) has an extensive write-up on engine numbering and the prefixes that might (but not always) accompany a "small bore" (14.9hp) engine. http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/ABenginenumbers.htm

Joe K
I know Lawrie and if it was a small bore engine, he would have said so. I have never heard of one of those engines being in this country. I'd take it as beoing an standard A engine.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:14 PM   #6
Kurt in NJ

I remember looking on 30s era pep boys, western auto etc that there was a great variety of parts, aftermarket cylinder heads, many other parts, the cast iron pistons cost less than alum ones,perhaps made on model T tooling
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:24 PM   #7
Dodge

Good thought Joe K, but the Model T Pistons wouldn't have fit for several reasons.
The Model T wrist pins are held in with a pinch bolt and are .750 the Model A Pistons
Had a circlip and the wrist pins are 1.00.
The compression height was also different for the two pistons.
I like the idea of the motor being an industrial motor and possibly running on kerosine
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:07 AM   #8
J Franklin

Cast iron pistons were produced to fit many makes of cars so they may just be replacements for whatever reason.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:27 AM   #9
Lawrie

had another look at them, no circlips holding the pin in,looks like it may have one in the middle of the pin.
they are std bore
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:58 AM   #10
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrie View Post
had another look at them, no circlips holding the pin in,looks like it may have one in the middle of the pin.
they are std bore
Lawrie
I'm glad you put the size question to bed (Std size) and someone else ruled out the Model T piston.

Um. The original Model A pistons HAD a single circlip in the middle. Removal is a challenge (especially for 20 something first time disassemblers familiar only with the modern "outside two circlip" style of piston pin.) Disassembly requires a piece of brass drift and a BFH (20 year old) or a minimum 12 ton press, pilot & soft pine as support (now 63 years old and knows a better way - one of life's pleasures.)

Assembly is a challenge too requiring a "pilot pin" to spread the single circlip built into original rod-ends (between the small end two bronze bushings) and allowing entrance of the full body pin. Most if not all restorers opt for the greater convenience (and more precise fit) of modern pins with two circlips.

I might expect you to find the pistons marked with some standard oversize. If not the only reasonable conclusion I can think would be Ford used "local sources" in your case Australia, in assembling completed engines.

Another variation I've seen is the use of "piston skirt expanders" which are metal contraptions inserted into the skirt of the piston and by which the piston body is made larger. These expanders used with oversize rings are held by the pin itself and are unmistakable if seen - and indicate an engine which has been worn to the point of rebuilding.

This last just something to look for.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 01-31-2019 at 10:05 AM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 02:07 PM   #11
john charlton

The 3" bore AF engine was never an industrial engine there never was a need as the 3 7/8" bore A engine was far better suited . AA trucks and vans (small and large) were exempt from the "horse power tax" only passenger cars were liable . Ford set 14.9 HP just under the 15 HP which took you up into the next punitive tax level . This tax regime was to curb cheap high quality American imports ,Irskine,Essex Chevrolet Plymouth etc etc .Half the vehicles between the two world wars in the UK and Ireland were Ford T and TT the tax system was designed to protect fully British car makers against Ford competition . The AF engine was a failure as the cars were way underpowered and Fords sales plumetted hence the Ford 8 HP designed by Eugene Gregorie in Detroit.The Dagenham B engine was very tough and not prone to cracks in the valve chamber area as the Detroit engine . The industrial engines had a special preheat manifold,magneto and Woodward governor so were mostly hand crank start I would guess

John in cold Suffolk County England .

John in very cold Suffolk County England

Last edited by john charlton; 01-31-2019 at 02:20 PM.
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote