Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-05-2018, 09:23 AM   #21
TerryO

Default Re: Membership dropping, interest too???

I'm blessed that my son likes my old cars so I don't have to worry about my cars future and I have 3 grandchildren and another due next May and 4 Model A's to go to my grandchildren. The oldest (3yrs old) from all indications may be a car guy ( he is partial to my tudor) but I don't know about the younger ones. Maybe I will be lucky and they all will appreciate their Model A.

TerryO
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:34 AM   #22
1928Mik

I only have one friend who is interested in cars. None of my schoolmates or close friends are interested. I'm 65, but luckily my son is into vehicles and is taking interest in my A. I have noticed several local guys who were into cars but they succumbed and are now are driving a Prius or Kias and are no longer in the hobby. It's the sign of the times. Younger people are not into collectibles of any kind, they are only interested in getting the latest $999 Iphone. I'm not too concerned, it's fun for me and that's what counts.

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:52 AM   #23
denis4x4

Talk to the Model A parts vendors and they'll tell you business is good. There are several posts here saying that members have sold A's to "thin the herd". Those A's didn't disappear into thin air. Instead, they were sold to people that would prefer to get info on You Tube when it comes to repair work. Face Book is a great way to compare notes on A's. The interest in Model A's is just as high as it's ever been, it's just taken a different direction when it comes to how one gets information. Marque clubs as well as generic car clubs are not doing all that well for the same reasons. Last week, there were over 160,000 registered guest at the SEMA show in Las Vegas. The interest in cars is not fading away by any stretch of the imagination.

Last edited by denis4x4; 11-05-2018 at 09:58 AM.
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:10 AM   #24
dpson

I think part of the problem is that cars today are so much more comfortable, they pretty much all have power steering, power brakes, ABS, air conditioning, cruise control, hi tech sound systems, power windows, power seats, lane departure warning, back up cameras, self parking (on some models), etc. (you get the picture). And in the future self driving cars. So why would a young person, who grew up with all the comforts of home, want to get into a drafty, noisy, smelly, old car that you actually have to drive and which doesn't have a cup holder, not to mention a bluetooth connection to their cell phone. My grand kids wonder what the window crank handles are for?
dpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:11 AM   #25
tagroff

I was 53 when I got my A inherited from my Dad who got the car from my grandfather whom had purchased it new. I helped Dad restore the A. Actually lost interest at the time. I was just 16 and loved muscle cars. Took the car over when Dad passed restored it and really haven't driven it much. But have had a growing interest in it as of late. I do belong to 3 clubs attend no meetings right now as I don't have the extra time. What I'm trying to say is look at your average owner they are retirement age ( I know probably catch some flak but that's ok ) Have more time to invest in the hobby.I love the old car and the memories it holds for me. I need to spend more time with it so I can work on it with more confidence. That's why I'm here you guys have great ideas and give numerous answers to help troubleshoot problems..So thanks Guys.

1928 Roadster Pick Up
tagroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:40 AM   #26
Keith True

I've never had much interest in going to any big club meets because I really have no interest in seeing 100 of just one marque.About 12-14 years ago I was at a show with a lot of A's.There were 6,(six) DeLuxe roadsters there,Washington blue,straw wheels,Firestone WW's,dual sidemounts,stoneguards,LB top and interiors,trunks,these cars were virtually identical.As one of the owners put it,they should have split us up,but the show folks thought it was a good idea to clump up the like vehicles.Four of those cars had the oval speedometers.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:52 AM   #27
rosenkranswa

I'm 65 and have a number of stock Model A's, T's, an EV8 and a wartime Jeep. A perhaps interesting observation: Membership in the two national Model T clubs appears to be steady or even booming with lots of younger members, not so much in the Model A clubs, and even less in the Ev8 club. Fair amount of young interest in the Military vehicle and re-enacting groups we belong to. Not sure how to interpret that.

My daughter loves the cars and the eras they represent, is very knowledgeable, and wants at least one or more of my cars when the time comes. My son likes the cars, but isn't into them as much as she is. We have a lot of young people in our Home Front re-enacting group that love fashions, dances, music, and just life from the 20's through the 40's. Again, not sure how to interpret that.

I think the interest may be there, but the expression of that interest isn't being seen in club membership per se. Might be partly due to things like this forum - younger folks seem to get the information they need and even some of the comradery from sources other than clubs and club meetings. Social media, Facebook etc., seems to have taken on a lot of the role clubs used to fill.

'19 T Speedster
'26 T Touring
'29 A Roadster
'30 AA Stakebed
'30 A Pickup
'30 A Town Sedan
'31 A Station Wagon
'38 Columbia Girls bike (WWII)
'40 Elgin Boys bike (WWII)
'42 Super Deluxe Tudor
'42 Willys MB Jeep
'43 Willys MBT Trailer
'43 M3A4 Hand Cart
'43 Harley Davidson 42WLA with sidecar
rosenkranswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:54 AM   #28
1930artdeco

I like entering car shows just to show off Barb and be a contrast to the $$$$$$$ of chrome sitting on either side of me. I often get lots of looks compared to the hot rods for that reason. I also let kids sit in the car if they ask nicely which they seem to really enjoy and if it sparks something great. I also love just driving around with the club which I use as a social event and learning area.

Mike
Old 11-05-2018, 01:22 PM   #29
Stretch Cab

This forum is really my club. I check in every day and often more than once. Then I go to the early V8 side as I have an A and a V8. I also check in with several FB Model A and V8 sites. I tried liking the national clubs but I can’t go through so many pages of fashion and various club info to look at some cars. I think the hobby is alive but club membership is going to continue to suffer because we can get what we want instantly on the web. If it is important I’m 61.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:16 PM   #30
Johnnya101

Well folks,

I can give you a first hand experience to younger kids and old cars. I am 17 so I should know a thing or two about the kids of today .

None of them care.

Im sure that you all know that already, but it just confirms your suspicions. I built a model T speedster last year, talked about it a ton, photos, whatever. Not one of my friends or classmates could care at all. They all seem to be interested in sports (Which has always been a common hobby type thing), and video games, or even nothing! (Quite a few kids have absolutely no hobbies...) There have been a couple of kids I have met that have been interested in newer cars, Im talking 60s and up. Anything before that? Not at all.

I think something that is a huge "hurdle" into getting younger people into antique cars is the price. As an example, right now, I am looking for a model A to buy. Ive saved up the past few years, and have about $7000 to spend. What can that get me? About 80% of the As out there for $7000 are full of issues, or have no paint, or no interior, or all of the above. Yes, the nice ones are out there, but dont exactly come across too often. Thats fine and all, but the cost to do that work is a substantial amount most of the time. I cant just come up with another $3000 for a new interior overnight. Instead, now its a waiting game of getting enough saved up again to complete work. And then theres finding the time with school and all.

However, lets say I had $10000 to spend. I can find 100s of really nice As for that price.

I am an outlier. I am considered insane for "wasting" all of my money on antique cars. Most kids could probably safely afford $5000. Whats that get ya? A rust bucket.

Kids are not getting into this hobby because 1. Who wants a slow antique car?, and 2., Who has an extra $10000 to spend at 17? Very very very few.

For $5000, instead of a rust bucket A I could buy a super nice original 60s Ford!

It seems quite a few folks on this forum bought their As in the 50s. Lets take an example of someone that bought a 31 coupe in 1957 for $100.00. That money today is... $914! Today... how much for a decent driver? $7000 and up! Id say that there is a large gap in prices. Nobody is going to ever let a nice A go for prices like those! So how is a kid supposed to get into this? Wait until they are retired and have plenty of money and time?

You also cant use a model A daily in most of the country, which requires the purchase of another car...

Just my opinion on this whole issue.

Last edited by Johnnya101; 11-05-2018 at 03:25 PM.
Johnnya101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:05 PM   #31
Del in NE Ohio

Denis4x4 is spot on. I retired from Snyder's, almost three years ago. The cars are the CONSTANT. The people come and go. Their level of interest, expectations, and available discretionary funds change. At Snyder's, I would take at least a half dozen calls a week from people asking " I just acquired a Model A, now what?" Often these were impulse buys at auctions or even family heirlooms. I still get such calls.
Del in NE Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:17 PM   #32
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnya101 View Post
Well folks,

I can give you a first hand experience to younger kids and old cars. I am 17 so I should know a thing or two about the kids of today .

None of them care.

You also cant use a model A daily in most of the country, which requires the purchase of another car...

Just my opinion on this whole issue.

I have actively been around this hobby for 50 years, ...and each decade I have seen a new generation of club participants. Even when my father co-founded the Model-A club in the Houston area, he was in his early 30's. Dad was a quasi hot rodder/drag racer during his mid - late 20's however as he matured both physically and mentally, he chose a hobby that his growing family could participate in. I think that is the big attraction with most Model-A hobbyists as these cars are relatively cheap to own and give a decent bang for your buck with family fun. You also must realize that for each 50-60 year old Model-A hobbyist that purchases a Model-A was once a 17 y.o. that likely did not have any interest in owning one then. Most hobbyists grow into the desire to own one, -therefore do not let the current age of the hobbyists' scare you. There has always been someone growing old enough to want to own one.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:04 PM   #33
duke36

For most of us, the discussion centers around many points as stated, but should add that just the feel of driving a "classic" vehicle on a country road at a slower pace can be humbling while also playing with fuel mixture spark, etc. The downside is that slower "classics" or ones with ponderous attributes don't always fair well on freeways, etc. Muscle cars are more user friendly that way. The Model A has a couple of advantages in that one can learn to work on it and parts are available thanks to the vendors and so many A' s produced. In our area, there are virtually no shops remaining to work on old cars, while at $60-$100/ hr. , even maintenance becomes prohibitive. Try to get babbitt poured or a ring gear rejuvinated for a 1919 Loco.!!
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 02:24 AM   #34
Tom Wesenberg

Joining a club can get you a bunch of contacts about Model A's for sale. $7,000 can still buy a good drivable Model A, as I've seen a few in the past couple years in the $5,000 to $7,500 range. They were nice cars that could be driven as is and had good paint and upholstery. They don't have to be mint to be enjoyed. Check out the different clubs want ads, and at times a bargain shows up. Run a wanted ad on Craigslist, and a good car may show up for the right price.

If you don't mind moving up to a post war car, then Studebakers are one of the most underappreciated and undervalued cars to be found. Corvairs also are a good car and can be bought for not much money.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:30 AM   #35
SuperDave

All the new generation needs to do is Google his/her question . No need to join a club. I attend a Model A meet and Hudson meet on the internet daily... I'm 78 and my son's interest is an 85 Monte Carlo. The AACA magazine looks like a used car mag to me. Time marches on.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:20 AM   #36
Steve Plucker
BANNED

If you are on your own and have no parents or family to back you up to get into the hobby, as it appears that Johnnya101 has going, Then yes, he is spot on in his post above. Most of the younger generation could care less especially if they do not have the backing of their parents to get them going.

Find a Model A Club that is close to you, join the club, go to every club meeting that you can, get to know the members, show 100% interest in the hobby, make your interest known and soon you will enjoy the benifits with your own Model A.

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 11-06-2018 at 09:50 AM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:34 AM   #37
redmodelt

Re joining a club; true if you can get past the "old guard" by showing a little back bone and that you are there because you have an interest in the cars.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:20 PM   #38
Jeff/Illinois

Interesting thread, and no easy answers.

I moved away from the local car clubs many years ago for all the same reasons folks have mentioned here. I do still belong to MAFCA and MARC but really don't see the need. The Internet has made them obsolete.

I've also dropped the AACA. To me the best values of old car magazines are Hemmings Muscle Cars and Hemmings Classic Cars. They come monthly, they are heavy stock paper all color photos about 100 pages and stuffed full of information, at a whopping $1.88 per issue if you pay for 36 months! Compare that to the bi-monthly club magazines that come out to over $8 per issue and they are 75% redundant fluff I don't care about. Compared to the Hemmings magazines if they were monthly they'd be $16 per issue.

Keith also mentioned about the big marque club shows and the repetition of cars and how old it actually gets seeing them. I can't agree more. I stopped going to the Mustang shows, Shelby shows, and all that because it hit me one day, just how boring that all actually was. A line of '65-'66 Mustangs all 50 of them with the hoods popped open and usually some snob sitting in a lawn chair behind it. Naw, never again.

I am a die hard Ford guy, so I want to see all of them, Torinos, Galaxies, Fairlanes, F-Series pickups, Torino Elites and Starsky and Hutch Torinos, heck even old Fairmonts and Granadas plus old Chevies and Mopars and Caddies (from the 60's!). I saw a '68 Mercury this summer just like the one McGarrett drove in the original Hawaii Five-O. I loved that car how cool was that!

I appreciate all the old cars not just stuck on one make, although I'd never own anything personally but the Blue Oval that's just me

Last edited by Jeff/Illinois; 11-06-2018 at 12:27 PM.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 02:13 PM   #39
ronn

Tom,

well said. Corvairs are a bargain and my brother and I are always amazed that they never caught on.
Some of what Johnny is saying and also Tom, has to do with your location. Prices seem higher on the coasts and somewhat more reasonable in the center of the country, or on the outskirts of the populous............ Maine MN AL WI etc.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:35 PM   #40
redmodelt

RE; "
Keith also mentioned about the big marque club shows and the repetition of cars and how old it actually gets seeing them. I can't agree more. I stopped going to the Mustang shows, Shelby shows, and all that because it hit me one day, just how boring that all actually was. A line of '65-'66 Mustangs all 50 of them with the hoods popped open and usually some snob sitting in a lawn chair behind it. Naw, never again"

While it would not stop me from going to a show, I have to agree 100% about going to a show and seeing noting but black Model T's or just Model A's. I like variety and am not a Ford snob. I like all kinds of makes and models. Same with music and a lot of other things, variety IS the spice of life.