Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-25-2020, 11:08 AM   #1
packrat6

Default Refitting doors

Am seeking some advice on solving a door refitting problem. Working on a '30 fordor with frame off restoration. I removed all of the doors(which all fit properly before removal) to rebuild and repaint. Also removed the body from the frame for cleaning/repair/painting. Body is back on the frame now and seems to fit well. I have remounted all for doors. Both doors on the passenger side are fitting properly. The rear door on the drive side is fitting properly. The front door on drivers side however is not fitting well. The rear edge of this door is parallel with the front edge of the rear door but the top of of the from door is about a half inch lower than the top of the rear door and lifting pressure is need in order to get it to latch.
I understand that refitting the doors can be problematic and that shimming between the body and frame is sometimes the solution. That said, I am hoping someone who has dealt with this same issue can offer some advice on how to figure out how to correct.

Feedback/suggestions appreciated.
packrat6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:04 PM   #2
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Refitting doors

In order to raise the rear of the drivers front door , I would either remove some shim stock from the drivers side front of the cowl or add shim stock to the drivers side rear of the cowl . This will cock the cowl in such a manner that raises the rear of the drivers front door . The doors can also easily get sprung in such a manner that raising the rear of the door will do the job . Because of the wood in most of the fordor doors , my first choice would be the shimming method if possible .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:27 PM   #3
packrat6

thanks for the reply. when i replaced the body on the frame, i put no shims in except the one under the cowl. do you you think it would be better to remove that one or place one behind the cowl. or maybe its just going to be trial and error??
Old 10-25-2020, 12:37 PM   #4
Bob C

This link to Marco's site may help.
https://web.archive.org/web/20140819...hop/door-1.htm
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:43 PM   #5
Purdy Swoft

It could end up being trial and error . If the shim that you added was on the drivers side front of the cowl , I would first remove it and check . Over tightening some of the body bolts can have a negative effect on door alignment because it can-will squeeze down the shims and alter the fit .
Old 10-25-2020, 03:32 PM   #6
packrat6

Mr. Swoft.....you da man. Only took about an hour and a few different permutations and door is now fitting perfectly. Truth and justice has won over evil once again. Thanks.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:57 PM   #7
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat6 View Post
Mr. Swoft.....you da man. Only took about an hour and a few different permutations and door is now fitting perfectly. Truth and justice has won over evil once again. Thanks.

Thanks for letting us know that it worked out .