Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-08-2020, 03:00 PM   #1
poolplayer1

Default 1955 Ranch Wagon/ Rear end Question

I took my 55 out for a drive on sunday and drove it for about 50 miles. It ran really nice but on the way back to the house,I started to hear a humming noise coming out of the rear end or differential. I don't really know what the noise is called,humming,howling,or what but the noise is there. Could it be the ring gear or pinion gear making that noise? Maybe worn out bearings.
Need some thoughts or opinions on this problem. I called around to see if any of the mechanics in town could repair the differential for me but none of them can.They do everything else,even tranny's but not the rear ends. Thats the problem of living in a small city. Anyway,If anyone can help with this problem,I would greatly appreciate it very much.
poolplayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 04:47 PM   #2
scicala

Default Re: 1955 Ranch Wagon/ Rear end Question

Humming or howling sounds like more of a gear noise, than a bearing noise.
If your sure it's coming from the rear axle, there isn't much you can do other than pulling off the back cover and examining things. Before you do that, you can raise the rear wheels off the ground and use jack stands. Then start the engine and put it in gear. If you get a long stick (like a broom stick) you can put it on the center section and outer axle bearings with the other end by your ear. The stick will amplify the noise and you won't have to get under the car for safety.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 05:07 PM   #3
Daves55Sedan

I live in a town of population 28,000. There is one place I trust in to do rear-end work just on the outskirts of town. If it is pumpkin related, I take the pumpkin out at home and give it to them with new repair parts to fix. The outer bearings and seals I do myself at home.
In your case, you have a Dana 44 integral housing rear axle (used on all wagons, F100 pickups and Thunderbird cars). Those do not have a pumpkin, so you would need to drive it or tow it somewhere. Parts for the Dana 44 are available from resto parts suppliers if not local auto parts chains.
All rear-end drive cars normally make a low-pitched humming noise called "gear helling", but its hard to notice unless you listen for it. If the rear-end makes a loud noise, it could be badly worn gears, pinion or axle bearings, or gears badly out of adjustment. Since this seems to have happened all at once, I would pull the back plate off and see if a shim fell out for the ring gear to start with.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:47 PM   #4
KULTULZ

Post Re: 1955 Ranch Wagon/ Rear end Question

Check the fluid level first, and pinion/axle seals for leakage.

Then - https://www.differentials.com/diagno...tial-problems/

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 12:29 PM   #5
55blacktie

They can/do leak, along with anything else that holds oil/fluid.
55blacktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 05:53 PM   #6
rotorwrench

A lot of it depends on whether it make the same noise all the time, only while decelerating, or only under load. If it is quiet under load but whines when unloading for deceleration then you need to check for a loose pinion nut or a bad pinion bearing. When a bearing wears out, the pinion will not stay in position and it starts moving around. While loaded it will stay in mesh but with poor backlash. When decelerating the pinion moves out of normal contact with the ring and starts making noise.

A really bad pinion bearing will allow the input to move when you shake it and it will have no preload and be able to chuck in and out. If this lasts too long, it will ruin the gear set and eventually the housing.

If it makes noise all the time then it could be axle bearings taking a dump or even differential carrier bearings going bad. There is not a lot more that can happen in there other than spider gear failure of something of that nature but it would make all sorts of racket in a turn.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 10-09-2020 at 06:03 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 01:38 PM   #7
poolplayer1

Thanks to all of you for your great help.Sorry I did not answer earlier,my ISP had some kind of outage so I was without internet since right after I posted the question. Anyway,I have internet again. IN my post I forgot to mention that prior to going out for a 50 mile ride,I had replaced the pinion shaft oil seal cause it was leaking pretty bad. I don't think that would cause the problem but than again I don't know much about the rear end to know for sure. I will check all the suggested parts that were mentioned here and see if I can determin where the noise is actually coming from. Thanks Kultulz for the link to West coast Differentials.
poolplayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:00 PM   #8
KULTULZ

Post Re: 1955 Ranch Wagon/ Rear end Question

If the pinion seal went, did you re-fill to capacity? Also check vent as if the rear cannot breath, the excess pressure will blow seals.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Old 10-13-2020, 12:31 AM   #9
CrownVic55

KULTULZ glad to see you made bail or got paroled. Good to see you back. Also glad to see the little woman is still the same.
CrownVic55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:18 AM   #10
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: 1955 Ranch Wagon/ Rear end Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic55 View Post

KULTULZ glad to see you made bail or got paroled. Good to see you back. Also glad to see the little woman is still the same.
Appreciate it. Work release is working fairly well so far.

Speaking of my little thumbscrew, she got pulled over for speeding the other day (she will not allow me to drive) and was able to cuss out a trooper with a MARLBORO hanging from her lower lip and never dropping it.

You have to be impressed ...

- DISCLAIMER -