Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-21-2019, 05:32 PM   #41
RKS.PA

Default Re: New Member New car

Fordguy, Charlie ny...post 28 above....is also a great resource for many Flathead parts, especially carbs and fuel pumps, although not limited to just those two areas. And, he's a great guy to work with. He's spot on in mentioning Mac VanPelt right there in your backyard. Get yourself a copy of Mac VP's catalogue. It's a powerhouse resource of part numbers and diagrams....in addition to the parts that Mac carries. I could not have gotten my '39 or my '47 together without help from both Charlie and Mac.

Welcome to the Barn!!! You're going to like it here!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:58 PM   #42
mfirth

Love 41 2 door sedans. Was kinda look'n for 1 when I got my 52 Vic. Welcome to the barn & please keep that flatty alive & well in Cinci. Ohio flatheads forever! mike in Port Clinton
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:22 PM   #43
Tinker

Nice car!

Welcome, you'll get as much "one on one" help as you need. No question is wrong. I've had a few and probably will have more down the road.

Sometimes the info can be described a bit technical and things get confusing with a lot of different views and additions. Just read as much as you can on that subject.

I'd suggest doing one thing at a time. Take pictures when you take anything apart for reference. and just keep asking questions!

Here is a thread on vendors people trust and like.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...=parts+vendors

Best of luck!

Last edited by Tinker; 08-21-2019 at 07:36 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:24 AM   #44
Fordguy1964

Thanks guys!

OK. I tried to polarize my generator last night. I flashed the F to the Bat terminal on the regulator. I got the small sparks but there was no change. I started the car and disconnected the battery and it died. That tells me it isn't putting out anything. Without doing the "shotgun parts at it" approach what is the best way to determine if the problem is in the regulator or the generator? I thought I may just go ahead and try a new regulator but they are around $50. I was hoping for a better way without just tossing cash at it. I have seen a lot of the Youtube videos about troubleshooting 6V generator setups but none of them are about a Ford car. Mostly tractors or a British car. I don't want to make any assumptions that they are the same and either do more damage or just be heading down the wrong path.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Fordguy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 09:27 AM   #45
Fordguy1964

So last night I started the car and increased the idle to about 1200 RPM. When I momentarily disconnected the battery terminal the engine died. I reconnected and tried again but this time I jumpered the F and BAT terminal. This would put the generator into "runaway". When I disconnected the battery this time it kept running. That tells me that the generator is indeed putting out voltage when told to do so. So it appears that my regulator is bad. I have already cleaned the terminals and contact points but this didn't change anything. I guess it is time to bite the bullet and buy a new one. I looked at the wiring to make sure that it is properly connected and saw no issues. Is there anything else I could be overlooking? As stated above I have jumpered the F and BAT at the regulator and the generator did put out voltage.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:43 AM   #46
RKS.PA

Fordguy, I got a new regulator for my '47 from Mac VP in Cincinnati. It has a blue cover, but, but you could use your old cover if that's a problem...or even paint it.

Very happy with mine and you might even be able to pick it up in person if you call him first.

Good luck.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:09 AM   #47
aussie merc

looks good just enjoy as they say drive it to the wheels falloff bolt them back on and do it all again
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:57 PM   #48
grumppyoldman

Yes welcome to the Barn, lots of good guy's on here willing to help with what ever problems you might have. They helped me with several problems with my 41 Business Coupe. It drives and rides like it should, have some fun with yours. Al
grumppyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:37 AM   #49
Fordguy1964

I still have not picked up a regulator for it yet. BUT... Since I couldn't help myself I took it to the cruise in on Friday night to "relax for a bit". Only 2.5 miles from my house. I guess it is a bad thing that I am loving this car. It has taken the garage space from my 64 Fairlane. Now what? Time for a bigger garage!

By the way... she ran cool as could be so I have that going for me. She starts with the shortest press of the starter button. Did I mention that I love this car?

Last edited by Fordguy1964; 08-26-2019 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:15 AM   #50
Darrell S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordguy1964 View Post
I still have not picked up a regulator for it yet. BUT... Since I couldn't help myself I took it to the cruise in on Friday night to "relax for a bit". Only 2.5 miles from my house. I guess it is a bad thing that I am loving this car. It has taken the garage space from my 64 Fairlane. Now what? Time for a bigger garage!

By the way... she ran cool as could be so I have that going for me. She starts with the shortest press of the starter button. Did I mention that I love this car?
Check with barnfind08 here on the barn. He has nos voltage regulators.
Darrell S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:52 AM   #51
RKS.PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordguy1964 View Post

New Member, that is absolutely the best that you took you new car to a cruise night!! I wish I had know about them when I lived in Cincinnati back from '85 to '92. I was "lusting" after flatheads back then and they seemed to be scarce!! On the '64, no worries, you'll be splitting your enthusiasm equally soon!!
Old 08-26-2019, 03:11 PM   #52
Fordguy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKS.PA View Post
New Member, that is absolutely the best that you took you new car to a cruise night!! I wish I had know about them when I lived in Cincinnati back from '85 to '92. I was "lusting" after flatheads back then and they seemed to be scarce!! On the '64, no worries, you'll be splitting your enthusiasm equally soon!!

Well, it is hard to leave this one sit outside... I need more space. This picture was taken at a photo shoot for an invitational calendar for a charity. I'm a Ford guy through and through. I did the full rebuild of this car from the ground up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg calendar 1.jpg (20.7 KB, 81 views)
Old 08-26-2019, 04:02 PM   #53
mhsprecher

Welcome to the Barn. Looks like you got a good one if it started so quickly after sitting so long. You have gotten good advice so far.

I don't know a lot about 41s, but as mentioned, they did go through a lot of changes throughout the model year. I am not sure who the 41 expert is, but there is information and a lot of knowledge out there.

The Early Ford V8 Club web site is: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/index.cfm (I don't think anyone listed it already) There is a forum on there, too, which can be helpful, plus publications. No book on the 41s, unfortunately.

It might be good to figure out when yours was built. That will help anyone who knows about 41s to help with any questions you may have. Join a chapter of the club, too. It is good to have a support group of other addicts to help you along.

Be careful with that Ford addition. Before long, you will need an even bigger garage. Ask me know I know?

Last edited by mhsprecher; 08-27-2019 at 09:18 PM.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:43 AM   #54
Fordguy1964

Thanks. I have 9 Fords now including my daily drivers. I only own Fords. My wife thinks I have lost my mind. She may be right.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:17 PM   #55
mhsprecher

I have seven Fords, including my daily drivers. I also have a 2002 Mazda Miata, when Mazda was 33% owned by Ford. ;-)
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 12:36 AM   #56
koates

Welcome Fordguy. to test your generator the correct way do this. Remove the field wire from its regulator terminal and move it over to the Armature or generator terminal (same thing) and screw it on there. Start the engine and rev it up to around 2000 RPM. Take note of the dash ammeter as it should be reading plenty if the generator is OK. What you have done here is take the voltage and current regulator out of the circuit which will allow the generator to charge flatout. Note the cut out in the regulator is still connected in the circuit. If the generator is charging well, then we can assume that it is OK and that the regulator is at fault. If there is no charge then we can assume that the generator is faulty and will require attention. Report back your results to me. Regards. Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:03 PM   #57
RKS.PA

Kevin thanks for this post!! I hope it gets archived under "Testing the Charging System", because by the time I'll need it, CRS will be rampant!!...and we need these clear cut trouble shooting procedures documented?
Old 08-28-2019, 02:00 PM   #58
Fordguy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKS.PA View Post
Kevin thanks for this post!! I hope it gets archived under "Testing the Charging System", because by the time I'll need it, CRS will be rampant!!...and we need these clear cut trouble shooting procedures documented?

Agreed. Thanks Kevin. I will be doing that testing this weekend.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:31 PM   #59
petehoovie

Beautiful girl! Great legs!

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:47 PM   #60
Fordguy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
Beautiful girl! Great legs!

My wife didn't seem to think so. She was pretty upset that she was touching my car. LOL! I got over it. She told me "You said nobody was EVER to touch your car unless they are naked!" I just nodded and smiled. Since she wasn't at the photo shoot, that nod and smile didn't go over well. She got over that too.

Honestly, I like the car better. I'm sure it is more reliable too!