Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-02-2018, 09:14 AM   #21
cederholm

Default Re: I bought my first coupe today - in Brooklyn!

Super helpful, thank you!! Couple of questions.

GAV??? Is that the adjustment on the end of the choke knob?

And running with the gas off at shutdown, is that to empty the line and and carb bowl?

Thanks again,
Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
Starting procedure I use: Turn on gas, spark (left) lever all the way up, Right (throttle) lever few clicks from the top, GAV 3/4 turn open, Key on, Pull choke out and step on starter, after about 2 seconds of starter turning over release choke, should start right up. Only run the starter for about 5 - 7 seconds at a time, pause to let it cool between tries. If it doesn't start right up pull the choke again for a couple seconds. As soon as it starts pull spark lever down to about 9:00 position, when engine is warmed up a bit turn GAV in to about 1/4 turn and lift throttle lever for slow idle. When driving, listen to the engine. Learn what "Ping" is and don't ever let your engine do it. You want to keep about as much advance as you can (spark lever down) as long as you don't get ping. When pulling good, pull down spark until you hear ping then bring it back up until ping goes away. All cars are a bit different as far as spark rod position so learn your own. Shut down procedure: Turn off gas valve and let the engine run about a minute, lift spark lever all the way up and shut off the engine keyswitch. Disconnect master switch if you have one.
cederholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:17 AM   #22
cederholm

He's a car guy with other cars/projects including a '32. He said he wasn't in a huge hurry to sell but he could use the cash to paint a Mustang and the extra garage space would come in handy.

He was a really great guy and it was clear that finding the car a good home was more important to him than just the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingodog View Post
Sounds like you really lucked out there. Sometimes its all about timing and luck. Just out of curiosity, why was he selling the A?
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-02-2018, 09:19 AM   #23
Will N

You should consider joining the Model A Ford Club of Long Island for support. It covers Long Island and the 5 boroughs. We have members in Brooklyn and Queens, and we're a great group of guys willing to help new members get their cars on the road. We've toured into Manhattan several times. The club meets the last Wednesday of every month at the Old Westbury Village Restoration off Round Swamp Road at 8:00PM. The link to the club website is www.freewebs.com/modela/
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:32 AM   #24
cederholm

Thank you for this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will N View Post
You should consider joining the Model A Ford Club of Long Island for support. It covers Long Island and the 5 boroughs. We have members in Brooklyn and Queens, and we're a great group of guys willing to help new members get their cars on the road. We've toured into Manhattan several times. The club meets the last Wednesday of every month at the Old Westbury Village Restoration off Round Swamp Road at 8:00PM. The link to the club website is www.freewebs.com/modela/