Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-18-2014, 12:26 AM   #1
hoss73ford

Smile The USA & Cuba---& old cars

As some of you probably know, there are scores of American cars and trucks from the 1940s, 50s & 60s still in daily use down there. Until now getting parts has probably been next to impossible unless they can be smuggled in. Many owners probably don't know that there are sellers and vendors up here and the availability of parts. Hopefully with what is happening they will be able to get those parts and put those cars to their former prime again even if its just a daily driver. I always admire someone who still drives their vintage vehicle rather than making it a trailer queen.
hoss73ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:17 AM   #2
Dobie Gillis

Default Re: The USA & Cuba---& old cars

It's not a question of driving them or making them trailer queens; it's necessity. Those people don't have a pot to P in. They keep them on the road through sheer determination and ingenuity.
Dobie Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:31 AM   #3
jimvette59

I remember seeing a film on TV of a person making his own brake shoe material.
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:13 AM   #4
scicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobie Gillis View Post
It's not a question of driving them or making them trailer queens; it's necessity. Those people don't have a pot to P in. They keep them on the road through sheer determination and ingenuity.

I agree. I think the last thing on their minds is a correct restoration if they had access to the parts. A lot of those cars have been converted to diesel or other powertrains. Basicly whatever is available to keep them rolling.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:14 PM   #5
darrell

these people dont have 5 cents.i was down their all those cars have diesels in them.4 cyl at that.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:56 PM   #6
wearymicrobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimvette59 View Post
I remember seeing a film on TV of a person making his own brake shoe material.
They make even more then that. Spark plugs, filters a whole assembly of stuff. Almost non of the cars down there are restored and most have had the motors swapped out for something agricultural and a little more fuel thrifty.

Might be a few cool cars to drag back here.

I have a Canadian friend who brings a suitcase full of little spare parts every time he visits and he trades them for meals and lodging when he needs it.
wearymicrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:13 PM   #7
Dobie Gillis

I heard back in the '80s/'90s when we were booming Fidel was planning to confiscate all the old Detroit Iron down there and sell them to collectors to raise much needed cash. I guess he figgered it would be too hard to sidestep the trade embargo because it obviously never happened.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:33 PM   #8
darrell

most people go down their and never leave the resort and think its great.i didnt go for that.i went to havana and thats an eye opener.blind beggars,old people chasing you to buy them medicine not one coat of paint nor one brick laid on another since 1960.it was the old people that you really noticed with a look of defeat on their faces.i cant remember if its 5.oo a week or month they make.only for the resorts they would starve.that money comes from europe.so you can forget about them looking for a set of rings for a 312.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:06 PM   #9
raceron1120

My wife's grandparents used to cruise to Cuba in the 40s and early 50s. He took a lot of pictures and some videos, it was quite the resort spot back in those days and with all sorts of American iron on the streets. It'd be interesting to do some "then and now" comparisons of the areas they visited.
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:25 PM   #10
parklane

Seems to me that the newest cars we saw there were 57 - 58. As already been said, the bodies aren't rotted, but they are beat up, some worse than others. We saw cars there with 1/2 the windshield replaced with something that wasn't even close to fitting properly, but it did keep the rain out (I guess). We did however see a 57 T bird that was just like new - obviously someone with Lots of money and/or power. The year we were there, was the first year it was legal for a national to have US dollars. Remember going for a ride in a horse drawn cart, and giving the owner a $10. tip. This man couldn't believe it, cuz the average person at the time made about $5./week. Very nice and sincere people there.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:06 PM   #11
Dobie Gillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceron1120 View Post
My wife's grandparents used to cruise to Cuba in the 40s and early 50s. He took a lot of pictures and some videos, it was quite the resort spot back in those days and with all sorts of American iron on the streets. It'd be interesting to do some "then and now" comparisons of the areas they visited.
My Dad's side of the family is mostly Cubans who immigrated in the late 1800's/early 1900's, but I also have relatives all over Florida who escaped in 1959/60. They're pretty old now (Cubans seem to live a long time) and they have stories of what Cuba was like before Castro and what it was like right after he took over. The guy who was El Presidente BC (Before Castro), Bautista, was a crook and in the pocket of the Mob and nobody liked him at the time but they look back on him now almost fondly.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:03 AM   #12
tdlmomowers

Heard it said, that Cubans are not allowed to have internet availability.
tdlmomowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:52 AM   #13
Dobie Gillis

Very few if any of the average citizens can afford computers or Iphones, so web access is easy to control. The government closely monitors those who do have access, even foreign visitors. When you visit Cuba you are constantly watched by secret police, and if you leave the tourist areas they try to control what you see and who you talk to.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:29 PM   #14
mikhett

I did HVAC for 30 years we once hired a guy from HAITI and said do to no availability of parts t hey would repair compressors.I said "how do you repair a compressor there sealed? He said we would cut them open repair the valves and reweld them!.
mikhett is offline   Reply With Quote