Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-17-2020, 12:20 PM   #61
40 Deluxe

Default Re: Take a gander at this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Lindberg's claim to fame (and fortune) was the prize (put up by a newspaper) for being the first to fly non-stop New York to Paris. Flying solo was his idea, it was not required for the prize.

Did some research: The prize was $25,000, put up up by a hotel owner named Orteig, not a newspaper. Going non-stop was the only rule. A lot of attempts were made by tri-motor planes with 3 and 4 man crews. Some failed due to hissy fits and cat fights among crew members and sponsors. Others crashed. Lindberg went solo with a single engine plane to save weight for more fuel. He also went without a radio and parachute to save weight, but did have an inflatable raft.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 12:57 PM   #62
Jim M

OMG it must be a disease....lol. My father in his youth in WV bought an arm surplus Jenney JN-4 in the early 30's and the grass field he flew it out of is STILL in use today. I flew control line model airplanes all my life and still do occasionaly. I always wanted to get my pilots license but being red/green color blind would probably have prevented it but I still have the urge. About 10 years ago I ALMOST bought an ultra-light plane from a club member at that field in WV but at 67 then I thought better of it. Who knows what tomorrow brings. It is also ironic that two years ago we took off from Florida in our MH and went west to California, up the Coast to Oregon, then back to New England to visit out kids. We whent over the Tehachapi loop! What an experience with a 42' MH towing a Ford Explorer!! Gonna go take a ride in my 29 Roadster....lol.
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:26 AM   #63
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
I see a few posts about Piper Cubs. I learned in a metal spar J3 with an A65, later C85.
But regardless,
A friend has a J2 powered by a Continental single ignition 37 HP. Not much of a climber on a warm day. Wouldn't want to see 2 people in it.
I understand the first Cub, which may have been a Taylorcraft, was powered by a 28 hp engine. It was said to be underpowered, and that be an understatement, and the engine was replaced by a 37 or 38 hp engine. That was then said to be overpowered. Now that wasn't an understatement.

I had a 150 hp. My observation or experience was- the more gas you fed it didn't relate to more airspeed. I learned in a 90 hp Cub. A lot less fuel burn for a comparable airspeed to the 150hp model.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:19 PM   #64
woofa.express

With apologies to you Katy.

Hi Katy. I apologies for taking so long to respond to your question about Gordon Taylor, who yes was knighted becoming Sir Gordon Taylor.
Originally declined by the Australian Air Force as a pilot he travelled to England and was accepted by the Royal Air Force returning to Australia when the war ended.
I had heard and read of the co pilot who flew with Australian aviator Sir Ross Kingsford-Smith who, in flight, climbed out on the strut and drained oil from a failed engine into a thermos flask and transferred it to the second engine which was overheating. I didn’t know the fellows name but it was indeed Gordon Taylor.
I can’t tell you much more apart from quoting from Wikipedia so I have provided the link below so as you can check it out. Yes, he was an aviator of notoriety and it is worth a read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Taylor_(aviator)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Patrick_Taylor.jpg (7.9 KB, 8 views)

Old 09-27-2020, 10:26 AM   #65
katy

His book "The Sky Beyond" is a good read.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:05 PM   #66
PalAl

Just ran across this video of an engine warm up, watch close as it appears it was ready to pull the two guys across the hanger floor. And to think I worry of an engine fail when I'm on the ground...LOL

https://www.facebook.com/KelchAviati...1659278276273/
PalAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:16 AM   #67
[email protected]

There is a small airport in Brodhead, Wisconsin that hosts annually a Pietenpol Aircraft reunion a week before the big annual EAA fly in up at Oshkosh, Wisconsin. Pilots fly their Pietenpols in from all over the country. Their motto is low and slow.

Lots of pictures at this site: https://www.pinterest.com/modelacoup...pol-airplanes/
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:11 PM   #68
goodcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Birdman View Post
Those old planes are def. cool! However I think you guys are crazy to fly them, LOL. I never had the flying bug, my son does and I keep telling him to take lessons so he wont regret not doing so later in life. Pop was always keen on flying (I guess thats where my son gets it), as his older brother (my uncle) was a flyer during the war and later a commercial pilot. I suppose that had a big influence on him. My brother and myself had an antique motorcycle collection at one time of about 30 bikes. They packed tightly into a 2 car garage. One of the comments we would make was that it is so much easier to house M/C's than cars!
Good advice to your son. My dream to fly in the military started at age 12 and ended at age 16 when I failed the vision test for a driver's license. After that I knew I couldn't afford it as a sport--3 kids and a modest income. I spent my last 2 years in the Navy on an aircraft carrier, 9 months in the Mediterranean. Watching flight ops certainly helped to fight off the boredom.
goodcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 06:58 PM   #69
woofa.express

Mr Haszard enquired about a Cessna 180. I replied in other threads but incase you miss it here it is again. You may of course not care to read it and that's okay.

Cessna 180.

Yes Mr Hazard. In answer to your question on 06 Dec 2020. Yes, I had ad C180-J, VH-BBF. It was a good utility aeroplane. It was useful insofar as it would always get airborne regardless of what was loaded into it. We did many trips in it, self, wife Patsy and 4 kids. I taught my 2 sons to fly in it, all off country ag strips and roads. Not an easy aeroplane in ground handling or takeoff and landing but they weren’t to know this. They went on to tow gliders and were very popular with the towplane owners.
One son accrued nearly 5,000 and crashed it; not looking where he was going. I did not rebuild it.

It was not an aeroplane I enjoyed flying. Heavy on controls particularly elevator. The later (mine) was slightly concaved on the underside of the wing - about 10 inches aft of the leading edge. I did once get to fly an earlier model with the short cabin and original Cessna type wing. Light on controls, faster roll and it was fun to fly. Totally different aeroplane.
I much preferred to fly the Bonanza but the C180 had 1 great advantage. It was cheap to operate. I also liked the engine. A Continental o-470. Sweet running and did a lot of work on a gallon of gas. Lycomings are more popular engines but that Continental O-470 is a beaut.

To fly agriculture in Australia one is required to undergo specialized training and is then issued an “ag rating”. My training was done in a C180 spreading super phosphate. We carried either 7 or 9 cwt and spread 7 or 9 ton an hour, I don’t recall which. That was 1968. To understand my uncertainty do read my signature below this story, the third line.
For Christmas I’d take farmers and the farm community for a fly. Here is one such occasion. I had to think who they were since this shot was 35 years ago. They’ve all aged. The young one in the aeroplane is David Link who has gone on to be a hot-shot police helicopter pilot. His story is number 117 on 26 June 2018 and is well worth a read. I had the aeroplane repainted and trimmed in maroon with grey to support the maroon. It was a head turner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Negatives19-01.jpeg (81.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpeg Negatives19-02.jpeg (67.0 KB, 9 views)