Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-26-2019, 11:40 AM   #1
Bob NH

Default Wood in bed ?

Pickup truck bed that is ! I would love to get some good pictures from anyone of wood installed in pickup trucks from 42-47 (think 41 is same also) including bolt locations as well as how you got by the hump in the subframe without it showing on the top side ? Looks like a real bummer coming my way with this issue. Thanks to anyone who might offer assistance
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:55 PM   #2
randy993

Default Re: Wood in bed ?

Hi Bob,
Are you replacing a metal bed(floor) with wood? I just put in a wood kit in a new bed on my '41. There are boards that you have on each side and across the bed supports as a subfloor that levels the wood that you actually see when looking in the bed. I bought my bed and wood kit from Midwest Early Ford and am very happy with the oak wood they provided in the kit. The bolts go through the wood and frame at the same places that the bed bolts down.
Hope this helps,
randy993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:19 PM   #3
Talkwrench

When I was younger..
Old 08-28-2019, 04:58 PM   #4
Bob NH

"Hi" Randy, I thought I sent you a note but can't find it so will start over. When I became owner of this "rag" it had a bottom layer of pressure treated lumber and then varnished oak over that, like hauling a load of firewood around ! I removed the bed to get at the rear spring bolts and bushings, (these babies were tough to get out) Discovered several leaves were broken so had to round up a pair of those,(scored a pr. like NOS) The bed sides looked decent outside but were thrashed good inside and a body guy told me I would spend a small fortune trying to make them pretty. He said I would be better off to get new sides and I did along with front headboard and all new crossmembers. Trying to put in just one layer of 3/4 " oak is going to leave me a small hump where the subrail is higher than the deck boards. It looks like I might have to make a small cover of oak and screw it down on top of the decking to cover it all. This is why I was looking for a few guys to show me what they have done in the bed to end up with a totally flat floor. Really appreciate your reply and help. Regards, Bob BTW,Is the kit you have thicker than 3/4 " ?
Old 08-28-2019, 05:08 PM   #5
Mart

I replaced a plywood floor that someone had put in previously with normal pressure treated timber. This just a utilitarian repair, not a show truck. It has stood up well since I did it. I like the fact that water can drain through it and not get caught at the sides or ends.

Here's the video:
https://youtu.be/gCGLkEqbrjE

Here's an extra video giving crossmember dimensions for the 41 bed.
https://youtu.be/lthqLNFKLfY

Hopefully you might find the info useful. Basically you have to space up the wood floor so the new bed floor sits level. You could locally thin out the planks where they sit on the raised parts, (I didn't) to get the floor as low as possible.

Mine works well for me. You might want something fancier, I don't know.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 02:50 PM   #6
Bob NH

Thank u Mart, I have viewed your videos in the past, lookin good guy !