Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-02-2017, 11:58 AM   #1
wingski

Default car shows???

Hearing all this is horrible. I live in the Pacific Northwest and even though things have changed, I still feel that most people in Oregon, Washington, and Northern California still show respect and are considerate at car shows. Am I wrong? I notice things and I’ve seen a very few people who have touched a car that had a “Do Not Touch” sign on them, but that has been very seldom and with respect.

I want to hear from others who live in this area about this situation. I’m going to Crescent City, California to a car show on October 6 and 7, and I’m going to ask the car owners if they’re running into this crap. I hope that I don’t hear all this negativity from them. I’ve always believed that an open-air car show was a place to share your pride and joy and let others see what cars were like and how amazing they were.

I hope you understand how upset these responces have made me feel. And hey, a little kid touching a beautfiul car with a “Do Not Touch” sign on it is a wonderful way for an adult to teach that child what not to do.

Mike in Southern Oregon
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:17 PM   #2
Flathead

Default Re: car shows???

One problem is that many parents don't behave properly either.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:38 PM   #3
H. L. Chauvin

If a Model A car show is in a wonderful area, go for it.

Under the title, "Not showing our cars anymore", in reply #44, I still think lots depends "where" and which specific neighborhood of "where" is this Model A car show being conducted.

I have several friends who go to work everyday in our downtown area of this large city who are always armed with concealed weapons, and who are now and then confronted with street gang members demanding money.

I go to work every day unarmed, but in an entirely "different" neighborhood.

Traveling and keenly observing "different" types of people in different neighborhoods today is most educational.

I just returned from one of many former trips to Old Quebec City, Canada. We were told by several cab drivers that their crime rate is still almost non-existent.

Wife and I walked unlit streets at night and were greeted by kind people.

Anyone tried this in the U.S. lately?
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:40 PM   #4
wingski

Please don't judge us all by the people that live in the U.S. in overpopulated large cities. People from the U.S. have got a bad rap because the people who visit elsewhere are also the idiots that don't realize what they have at home, enjoy it, and take care of it.
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 02:44 PM   #5
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingski View Post
Hearing all this is horrible. I live in the Pacific Northwest and even though things have changed, I still feel that most people in Oregon, Washington, and Northern California still show respect and are considerate at car shows. Am I wrong? I notice things and I’ve seen a very few people who have touched a car that had a “Do Not Touch” sign on them, but that has been very seldom and with respect.

I want to hear from others who live in this area about this situation. I’m going to Crescent City, California to a car show on October 6 and 7, and I’m going to ask the car owners if they’re running into this crap. I hope that I don’t hear all this negativity from them. I’ve always believed that an open-air car show was a place to share your pride and joy and let others see what cars were like and how amazing they were.

I hope you understand how upset these responces have made me feel. And hey, a little kid touching a beautfiul car with a “Do Not Touch” sign on it is a wonderful way for an adult to teach that child what not to do.

Mike in Southern Oregon
Mike,

You shouldn't have any problems in Crecent City, CA or southern Oregon. They are still rural and as H. L. pointed out, the main problems are in more urban areas.

There used to be a lot of rural areas in Southern California but now we have a lot of people from out of state. Many people do things they wouldn't do in their home towns. You have to be assertive. It's your car and you should not be afraid to let people know when they are crossing the line.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 02:50 PM   #6
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Mike,

Traveling people are idiots?

In my humble opinion, many people in the U. S. definitely realize what they have at home.

Many in the U.S. most certainly enjoy it.

Many also definitely "try" to take care of it.

Thousands and thousands today, more than ever, enjoy traveling overseas whether for business or vacations.

Thousands and thousands were sent overseas several times in the past and also recently in different countries each time by the U. S. military.

Thousands and thousands were sent off to experience wars.

In my opinion, my overseas military and/or civilian travel elsewhere is still far more educational and most eye opening than just staying home and watching our totally planned, slanted Liberal News on TV.

But this is only an opinion.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:18 PM   #7
Tacoma Bob

Lived here in Tacoma ,WA pretty much all my life. Was a very active street rodder waaay before outdoor car shows came to be. The Pacific Northwest has always been a hot bed of car people. I have rarely seen anyone out of line attending car events. For what it's worth I'm pretty much done with the show scene. I'm tired of shelling out $20$25 bucks week after week so others can profit form my hard work. Usually under the guise of a "charitable" contribution. I have never ever received a paid invoice for tax purposes. And although I love and enjoy my car friends it get a little old being with them week after week after week.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:15 AM   #8
barkleydave

I like touring events. For example: Sweet Home Alabama Tour. This is 3 days on the road a Hub tour. Will be over 70 model A's on the tour this year. It is a rolling car show... stopping at different towns and points of interest. Lots of folks will have an opportunity to see lots of cars and talk to their owners. It is a great way to travel and get the word out that the Model A is still rolling! New sites every year.. no stationary static display just a great time!
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:35 AM   #9
davidlee1313

I agree, tours have the best of both worlds (shows and tours).
davidlee1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:22 AM   #10
1931 flamingo

We go to shows/cruises every week. Nobody's ever "abused" us. We look for young kids (even old ladies) to have sit in the cars and or rumble seats. Their folks take pics and the grins on the kids are unbelievable.
It took one mother about 15 min to get the child out of the wheel chair (he had a bunch of tubes in him) and into the front seat but he was overjoyed. FWIW
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote