Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-26-2010, 09:31 AM   #1
bobscogin

Default '28-'29 Dash bar / Dash rail confusion.

I'm putting together a rather rough '28-'29 roadster pickup and am confused about the terminology for the "dash" parts. There is a "dash bar" and a "dash rail". I have the piece that sits on top the cowl and goes between the cowl posts where the stanchions attach. Is this the dash bar, or dash rail? The piece I'm missing seems to attach to a bracket at each end of the cowl and has a couple of screw holes near the middle to attach to the piece on top the cowl? Clarification of the names for these pieces would sure be appreciated. A photo would help too, if possible

Bob
bobscogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
Dennis Pereira

Default Re: '28-'29 Dash bar / Dash rail confusion.

Not to confuse you more. but I think that filler piece is called a front belt rail and reinforcement assy. sometimes called a filler strip. the dash rail ? attaches to it. I might be wrong but its not the first time.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:35 AM   #3
Dennis Pereira

Looking at the service bulletin what I call the fire wall is called the Dash lower assy? Maybe someone else can take a look.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:57 PM   #4
Randy in ca

Bob, first off have a look at a post started on July 20 @ 08:30 by CCWKEN titled "Stanchion Mount - How much is missing?". It has some good pictures posted by others of the Cowl Posts, the Belt Rail, brackets, etc.

The piece across the top which ties the cowl posts together is part #A-35355 (Front Belt Rail) I believe for the 28-29 open cars and trucks - the "and reinforcement ass'y" which Dennis refers to above was included in the name of some of the closed cars - tudors, coupes, etc. This is what you likely already have as it joins the cowl pillars together. I'm not sure what the correct name for the finish panel (what you probably need) is - possibly A-35360 (Front Belt Rail Finish) - it is attached by 6 screws - 2 on each end @ the cowl post brackets, and 2 in the middle using "L" shaped brackets and two of the same holes that go thru the belt rail and the gas tank.

The terminology you've used (Dash Rail and Dash Bar) is used by some suppliers for sure - Brookville Roadster calls the two pieces A-1001-A (Open car dash RAIL) and A-1005-A (Dash reinforcement BAR). In their words the latter "ties the cowl posts together". So using their terminology what you are likely missing is the Dash RAIL.

Hope this helps some and hasn't been too confusing!!

Last edited by Randy in ca; 08-27-2010 at 12:04 AM.
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:29 AM   #5
Randy in ca

Bob,

Also take a look at the photos posted by Mike V. in the post started this morning by Kevin-Illinois entitled "Steering Column Mount".

A couple of the picture show the "L" shaped bracket that is used in 2 places when attaching the Dash Rail, and at least one of the pictures shows the Dash Rail itself.
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:29 AM   #6
bobscogin

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in ca View Post
The terminology you've used (Dash Rail and Dash Bar) is used by some suppliers for sure - Brookville Roadster calls the two pieces A-1001-A (Open car dash RAIL) and A-1005-A (Dash reinforcement BAR). In their words the latter "ties the cowl posts together". So using their terminology what you are likely missing is the Dash RAIL.
Hope this helps some and hasn't been too confusing!!
That explains it quite well, Randy. As you point out, the terminology is used by suppliers and that's where I picked it up. I didn't have the Ford description or part numbers. Based on the info you've provided, I'm missing the dash rail. Thanks for your help.

Bob
bobscogin is offline   Reply With Quote