Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-16-2019, 08:49 AM   #1
Stillrunners

Default 1940 Ford hinge replacement

Needing opinion on if its a tweaked hinge tweaked door or both. Was hoping to just replace the hinge and the pin is not coming out with the pin removal tool.

Tool worked great on a lot of Model a hinges so I have been applying torch heat to persuade it to come out - with no luck - it has moved a little though.

Door opened great but had a helleva bind as you closed it at about a foot to go to close.

Hope I can load some pictures.

Who makes the best replacement hinges ?
Stillrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:58 AM   #2
Stillrunners

Default Re: 1940 Ford hinge replacement

pictures 20190923_190900.jpg

20190923_190905 (1).jpg
Old 10-16-2019, 08:58 AM   #3
fordv8j

Heat the pin, then melt some candle wax around it
fordv8j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 02:18 PM   #4
Stillrunners

Thanks - got the pin out maybe an 1/8 or so - pretty sure its not past the knurl.

It's - the pin is stuck pretty good at this point. Was going to attempt to just change out the firewall side hinge to see where I'm at.

Just have a really nice right door that opens and closes well with all original stuff still on it.

The left wasn't moving real bad until I started working on it. It did bind up as you closed it from about 12 inches out.

Someone suggested it's the door frame on the body or the door frame on the door and to start cutting some metal. I did try a hammer with out success.

Can and will try the wax trick....thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190816_192251.jpg (65.8 KB, 26 views)
Old 10-16-2019, 02:24 PM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I had some 33 door hinge pinss I could not get out. I used the tool I think you are referring to. Left it in place and tightened it as much as reasonable and let it set. Every day (or a couple of times a day) I would soak it in penetration fluid and attempt to tighten it some more. Took forever, but they finally came out.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:06 PM   #6
ford38v8

Lawrence, Below you will find my answer to your question on the V8 Forum. You may not have found it because the V8 Forum refreshes every day.

Hi Lawrence, Welcome to the V8 Forum. Not positive from your pictures, but it appears to me that your problem is not the hinge, but rather, the frame of the door itself. Remove the inside door upholstery panel to reveal the issue. I think you'll find that the frame has buckled, and will need to be rebuilt. You'll probably have to cut (and bend back) the inner panel for access, then reweld that panel after the frame repair. The tough part here is proper alignment, which should be confirmed with the door closed, a temporary brace installed, to facilitate a proper repair while the door is open for access. Please let us know if this is indeed the problem, and if my suggested repair works for you.

Alan
Old 10-16-2019, 03:50 PM   #7
alchemy

I can see from your pics that the door has been jammed open too hard sometime in it's life. The skin is buckled, and probably the inner jamb portion of the door might either have a torn area or at the very least a bent portion around that hinge.

Sure you can replace the pin because they are always worn after 80 years, but that's not the cause of the misalignment or other problems.

As said above, remove the door card and check out the inner framework. The diagonal brace inside the corner is usually where the door tears. Look near there. Then reverse the bends and weld the tears when it's all fitting again.

The likelihood that the hinge itself needs replacing is probably 1%. Even if the hinge itself was bent (usually not), it would be much easier to bend the hinge back with heat than to replace that hinge. A replacement hinge would probably need to be bent into alignment also.

After all the inside stuff is fixed and the door fits the opening again, then repair the skin. Make sure to not weld the skin to the hinge like some Neanderthals used to do back in the olden days.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote