Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-29-2019, 08:22 PM   #1
antiquepa

Exclamation Wind Wings 31 Roadster [fell off]

My wind wing on driver side fell off. I Put it back on using the rubber pads and glue. Thought I had it fixed,,fell off tonight [din't break] so any idea of how to keep it from falling off. I Know when u put on you back out the thumb screws, but will only back out so far. I thought it was tight and it did last a few days. These were put on in 2002 and one other time one fell off. I re-installed it back then and it lasted till now...ANY IDEAS will be appreciated. The thumb screw;s don't seem long enough, don't know if there are longer ones.. Thanks!
antiquepa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:36 AM   #2
jak

Default Re: Wind Wings 31 Roadster [fell off]

I've never used the rubber pads. i just use a good amount of RTV and glue the brackets to the glass. I also use red loctite on all of the hardware.
jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:45 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

The issue is NOT the thumbscrews. The issue is the reproduction brackets are junk straight out of the box, --and have been for the 50 years that I can remember this being a problem. If you purchase the correct rubber inserts from Snyders, along with the correctly shaped outer clamps, and then modify the Vintique bracket to accept the correctly shaped rubber, these will work well and they will not fall off. Use the pads & clamps below on all years with the reproduction wind wing brackets.

Below are links to the two major pieces that you need;

https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/P...earchByKeyword

https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/P...earchByKeyword

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:49 AM   #4
Synchro909

I ditch the glass wings and replace them with polycarbonate ones. Sure, they get scratched after a whie so I replace them. They are MUCH lighter than glass and so less likely to fall off. Even the crappy clamps we get these days will hold them pretty well.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:43 AM   #5
Gold Digger

Someone on here suggested quite a few years ago for me to drill holes in the glass and make some short dowels that go threw the glass but not all the way threw the clamps and then glue. Works good for a lot of years.
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 01:07 PM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
I ditch the glass wings and replace them with polycarbonate ones. Sure, they get scratched after a whie so I replace them. They are MUCH lighter than glass and so less likely to fall off. Even the crappy clamps we get these days will hold them pretty well.

Ummm guys, but this is the part I just don't get. Why do we suggest making a 'band-aid' that will cause another set of issues later instead of repairing the parent problem correctly?

I will be the first to admit that it's not just these remedies mentioned above, but think about how many people think it is necessary to convert from 6v to 12v, -or mechanical ty hydraulic brakes, --or add a steering damper to correct shimmy, ...and the list could go on all because of someone advised them to make a substandard repair. I am not picking on any of you specifically but shouldn't we coaching people to make correct (-and authentic) repairs?

This is not to be construed as a purist-only repair tangent on my part, but adopting more of a 'let's do it correctly the first time' mindset. It has been my experiences that over the years, 'band-aided repairs' have given many people incorrect or poor opinions of the Model-A. Mindsets of unknowledgeable like they wont stop, the steering is awful, they won't keep up with modern traffic, etc. are all generated because someone experienced a Model-A that was restored poorly or improperly, and they formed their opinion based on their personal experience with that vehicle. I challenge each of us to do better and at least work towards preserving the Model-A hobby by making less 'band-aid' type repairs.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 01:10 PM   #7
chrs1961815

I agree with you Brent. What is the point of putting all the time and work into something if you are just slapping it together and not doing it right? If you are going to put the effort in, you might as well do it right.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:55 PM   #8
Synchro909

Not wanting to sound confrontational but my "bandaid" repair has been on there for 15 years. I mentioned that it eventually shows scratches because some people destroy whatever they have very quickly. I'll probably change the polycarb wings in another 15 years - if I last that long.
That said, I understand what Brent says about do it right but what is right for some isn't always right for all. For example, I converted to 12 volts in the car I use to tour outback because I would have no hope of getting anything 6 volt at a remote roadhouse. I had a coil fail on me about 350 km from Darwin once but because I was on 12 volts, I was able to get a replacement off a wreck.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:05 PM   #9
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquepa View Post
My wind wing on driver side fell off. I Put it back on using the rubber pads and glue. Thought I had it fixed,,fell off tonight [din't break] so any idea of how to keep it from falling off. I Know when u put on you back out the thumb screws, but will only back out so far. I thought it was tight and it did last a few days. These were put on in 2002 and one other time one fell off. I re-installed it back then and it lasted till now...ANY IDEAS will be appreciated. The thumb screw;s don't seem long enough, don't know if there are longer ones.. Thanks!

I've had 2 fall off and break. I replaced them last time by using two sided sticky tape between the clamps and glass. The tape that's fairly thick and spongy. Haven't lost one since but do get them positioned correctly before clamping.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 12:23 PM   #10
Karl Wescott

I have been running repro brackets on my 1932 for 22+ years with no problems.

I did relieve the inside of the clamp brackets (facing the glass) with a die grinder for a cavity for the rubber pad to extrude into when tightened, this helps prevent slippage of the pad. (Similar to the original clamp brackets which were relieved and the pads had a matching bump).

I also was very careful to adjust the clamp so that the clamping force is even front to back... I had troubleshot a number of glass falling out issues and looking at the pads it seemed that most had pressure only at the front or back, leading to failure.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 07:44 PM   #11
antiquepa

Thanks to all for the in-put..I will buy the new pads and bracket and give it a try..never had problem before but i do like the idea of the thicker rubber.!!
antiquepa is online now   Reply With Quote