Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-02-2019, 01:42 PM   #1
History

Default Model A sculpture

I hope it’s ok to post this here as it’s as much a feedback as an advertisement. If it’s ok I’ll post it in the other sections as he can do any vehicle.

I lease a building to a fellow who is an artist. He paints and sculpts, does castings and other things. I think his work is awesome as he is so versatile. He’s trying to make a living doing this But we have such a low population and in a poorer area it’s Hard for him. He made this Ford pickup that I don’t know the year model. I asked if he was willing to do a model A and could he also do the likeness of the owner. He said yes, he could do it whatever model, coupe ,Tudor,Fordor, pickup,,, in the color chosen by the customer and also add another person or pet. You can see that it is closer to caricature but he can do closer to lifelike. I don’t know that I would commission one myself but if my wife had one made of me and my German Shepard, I’d prize it. He said the cost would be in the $500-700 range which is a lot of money. I know how sometimes it’s not about the money and believe me when I say at the moment I can’t afford one but I thought some of you might be interested for yourself or as a gift for someone. I like the caricature style myself but again that could be done differently as he would work with the customer. I’m not trying to profit from this, just helping him and hopefully some of you with something to you might like .Let me know what you think if you would please.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9D910ACD-56B9-438E-9700-4977DEE8AADC.jpg (27.9 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg 50FCE26B-7312-4B02-A918-FE0067D8A634.jpg (29.8 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg 1835E85D-BEEA-4372-BA9D-6A4DC2B65B6C.jpg (39.5 KB, 142 views)

Last edited by History; 09-02-2019 at 02:08 PM.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:52 AM   #2
History

Default Re: Model A sculpture

Ok guys,,, you are either following the "if you have nothing good to say" rule or you were so blown away it left you speechless. .

I have no idea what his price reflects. I do know everytime I went In his store for several days he was working on this, so it's not something he just throws together. Ok, technically he does throw it together. Seriously in better times Id consider one.

He could always make one and cast it in bronze for a show trophy.

Let me know what your thoughts are. You won't hurt my feelings and I can relay to him that he's either on to something people like or not.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:06 AM   #3
MickeyT

Send a message via MSN to MickeyT Send a message via Yahoo to MickeyT

To me the work is a little too crude. I don't mind caricatures but prefer a bit more finished work if I was going to pay those prices. Just my opinion.
MickeyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:26 AM   #4
History

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyT View Post
To me the work is a little too crude. I don't mind caricatures but prefer a bit more finished work if I was going to pay those prices. Just my opinion.
Thanks for reply and I agree that if I had one made it would need to be more refined. He's trying different things, some will work, most won't. I'll pass that along to him and all criticisms are welcome. Can't fix what you don't know is wrong.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:22 AM   #5
Badpuppy

Neat idea, but probably too Rustic for guys who would rather build a Revell kit.

OTOH, Grandma Moses made a living.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:35 AM   #6
Jim Brierley

The truck pictured is about 1950-52, nicely done but just not my cup of tea. I assume he makes a mold of some kind and casts off of that?
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:27 PM   #7
History

He made that truck by hand. I know he has made molds of things and then cast from those but the truck is free hand. I know nothing of the art world, just when I like something or not. I'd imagine it can be a struggle to make a living. I'll pass on the advice that's been given and he can do with it as he pleases.

If he knew what people wanted, he could do it as he's that good IMO. But opinions are like,,,,,,,.

What if the vehicle were more refined and the person and pet were made with a larger head (bobble head) size? I didn't take a good photo of the dog on the back of the truck but it's pretty neat with his tongue blowing in the wind.

Last edited by History; 09-04-2019 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:01 PM   #8
KGBnut

I think the "crudeness" is intentional. I took it as part of its folk art style. I know that style is not for everyone, but I really like it. The little driver shows considerable detail and refinement. Considering the hours that are put into it, I think the asking price is not unreasonable. Just my opinion.

If you get it done, I would love to see it.

Ken
Old 09-04-2019, 09:00 PM   #9
History

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGBnut View Post
I think the "crudeness" is intentional. I took it as part of its folk art style. I know that style is not for everyone, but I really like it. The little driver shows considerable detail and refinement. Considering the hours that are put into it, I think the asking price is not unreasonable. Just my opinion.

If you get it done, I would love to see it.

Ken
I agree that it was intentional along with the exaggerated parts of the truck. Sort of a spin of the muscle car stuff done in the early seventies, with the huge blowers and stick shifter sticking above the entire car. Not the same but exaggerated parts. He can do any car, truck or motorcycle. I believe he's on to something but time will tell. We all have characteristics that can be exaggerated to make something unique to us, nose, ears, forehead,,,,,,,. Some people don't like that but it's what people see anyway whether we like it or not.

Thanks for the responses.