Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-29-2018, 05:10 AM   #21
ford nut

Default Re: amother radiator question, 36 coupe

well, by Monday at 12:noon i'll make a decision. I know the brassworks great quality. does anyone remember if they require a deposit, or do they take the order over the phone?
ford nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:30 AM   #22
deuce lover

After reading this thread,here is what I did.When I bought my 36(had a flatty) it had a Walker radiator and an electric fan .I replaced the 37 flatty with a 59AB.I still did not pay attention to the underside of the top tank of the Walker which is flat.I got the new motor in and buttoned up the sheet metal.I had decided I wanted the stock fan.When I went to put it in is when I saw that it would not clear the underside of the top tank even with the generator as low as it would go on the intake.I thought maybe of looking for a good original 36 radiator .No luck,then.What I did was trim each blade a little over 1" and all worked out very well.My good friend Jake Jacobs made a template which we transferred to each blade -outer curve and all- and used a metal cutting band saw for the cuts.Problem solved.
Here is a pic of the car.

Last edited by deuce lover; 07-29-2018 at 07:35 AM.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:37 AM   #23
ford nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce lover View Post
After reading this thread,here is what I did.When I bought my 36(had a flatty) it had a Walker radiator and an electric fan .I replaced the 37 flatty with a 59AB.I still did not pay attention to the underside of the top tank of the Walker which is flat.I got the new motor in and buttoned up the sheet metal.I had decided I wanted the stock fan.When I went to put it in is when I saw that it would not clear the underside of the top tank even with the generator as low as it would go on the intake.I thought maybe of looking for a good original 36 radiator .No luck,then.What I did was trim each blade a little over 1" and all worked out very well.Problem solved.
very interesting. did you read my question wondering about cutting out the fan well from my original rad, and soldering it in a new walker/ us radiator? stupid idea? well i'm going ZZzzz. i'll check in - in a bit.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:42 AM   #24
deuce lover

I did not have that option .You could do that and maybe you know someone with those skills.Worth a try.I'm in France and its 2:40 PM here.Pleasant dreams.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:19 PM   #25
ford nut

well it's all been decided. i'm selling the car. . . not really. tom's radiator in orange is doing the job. he say's 2 weeks. we'll see.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:27 PM   #26
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford nut View Post
well it's all been decided. i'm selling the car. . . not really. tom's radiator in orange is doing the job. he say's 2 weeks. we'll see.
Haha Any warranty?

Last edited by Tinker; 07-30-2018 at 09:34 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:10 PM   #27
ford nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Haha Any warranty?
we talked about everything but that. I will bring it up though. I think I didn't bring it up though because I still want the brassworks, just not now. now it's all about having every thing here so when the engine is done it can go together. lets hope It gives me a fews good years though. he does have a good reputation. I've even heard him mentioned here before. reids speed shop in orange told me he does jay leno's work. who knows, he's got a nice clean little shop though. i'll post pics when it's here.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:14 PM   #28
Tinker

I'm sure your fine. Look forward to your next post.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:06 PM   #29
tgarner317

Yes, looking forward to it!
tgarner317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:20 PM   #30
Rusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce lover View Post
After reading this thread,here is what I did.When I bought my 36(had a flatty) it had a Walker radiator and an electric fan .I replaced the 37 flatty with a 59AB.I still did not pay attention to the underside of the top tank of the Walker which is flat.I got the new motor in and buttoned up the sheet metal.I had decided I wanted the stock fan.When I went to put it in is when I saw that it would not clear the underside of the top tank even with the generator as low as it would go on the intake.I thought maybe of looking for a good original 36 radiator .No luck,then.What I did was trim each blade a little over 1" and all worked out very well.My good friend Jake Jacobs made a template which we transferred to each blade -outer curve and all- and used a metal cutting band saw for the cuts.Problem solved.
Here is a pic of the car.

Same problem in my old '36 5 window with a 59A, same solution. My radiator had be recored by a well-regarded Bay Area guy...the car ran nice and cool at speed, even in 100+ Northern California summers, but it heated up FAST at idle. I checked into having the tank swapped or the recess added, but supposedly the way the core and tank are joined, it wasn't feasible (or at least cost effective). Had I decided to keep that car, I would have spent the $700 to have an original recored.
Rusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:51 PM   #31
ford nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusk View Post
Same problem in my old '36 5 window with a 59A . . Had I decided to keep that car, I would have spent the $700 to have an original recored.
that's what i'm doing, my 36 project came from Roseville btw. that fan well is unique to the car so I really wanted tp keep it in place.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:37 PM   #32
ford nut

3 months, 1 week. nothing to report.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:31 PM   #33
Tinker

Soooo...
Old 11-09-2018, 09:32 PM   #34
AnthonyG

Brassworks the way to go. He'll work with you and build what u want but keep u on the right page. Built very stock looking unit for my '35 with extra rows of cooling tubes to handle 400 HP. Still fit into the stock config. I'll never push 400 but probably close to 200 and it's worked and looks great for 5 yrs. Nothing like solid brass and copper for a radiator cooling and longevity! Not sure what he gets know but mine was $800 5 yrs ago and worth every penny. As I recall I did 1/3 $'s as a deposit and 1/3 when he was ready to ship and 1/3 on delivery. All done w a Visa. Sorry about the size, my larger pics seems like the files are too big for the sight?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3efe2264-6b30-407f-ba6b-094bc7a9de0d.jpg (4.5 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by AnthonyG; 11-09-2018 at 09:57 PM.
AnthonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:56 PM   #35
Mike..Yorba Linda

I had Tom's recore my 36 and rod out my 46 woodie....They do nice work and I think it took two weeks and I kept the old core for scrap and got 35.00. There was an issue with the 36 radiator but it was taken care of in a few days.
Mike..Yorba Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:21 AM   #36
1oldtimer

I figured there would be a good old timey radiator shop in the LA area that could tackle the '36 radiator.
1oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:29 AM   #37
ford nut

seems like a total of 5 months,2 weeks is a bit much. 2 months were getting a price.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:33 AM   #38
Tinker

This is one shop you are waiting on? any others? tried any others or waiting on one shop?

Did ya piss them off? ha ha I would think after a couple months it be fine or worry.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:38 PM   #39
ford nut

talked to randy at toms radiator and he hasn't started yet. crazy time has passed. . . I feeling very stupid at this point but I just don't have the time to go down to orange to get it then take it around to other shops. brassworks maybe in my future? stay tuned. or not.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:30 PM   #40
Tinker

Well it is your post/thread. Good luck to you, I hope it works out in your favor.

Last edited by Tinker; 11-14-2018 at 09:48 PM.