Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-30-2018, 03:38 PM   #21
Ernie Vitucci

Default Re: Pulling the Engine This Week

Good afternoon Bud Man...Please keep us up to date as you go through the process. Who you use, how they performed and how you feel about the project when you are back on the road again...We're all pulling for you. Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:38 PM   #22
Bud Man

Will do, Ernie. I appreciate the kind words and encouragement on this, and will definitely keep everyone apprised of the adventure! Best to all - great folks!!
Bud Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:40 PM   #23
BILL WILLIAMSON

The engine could be almost OUT, in the time it took you to read ALL THIS!
Bill Fast
Old 07-31-2018, 01:14 PM   #24
tinkirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Man View Post
Just finished doing the preparation necessary for pulling the engine and trans as a unit early next week. I've done all the obvious stuff such as stripping the engine itself, removing the linkages, electrical, floorboards, clutch and brake pedals, etc. Dropped the muffler as well, as it will be replaced, anyway. First Model A, so I have been reading up on the process, but have a question regarding whether or not the oil pan and clutch/brake pedal shaft is best removed or not. With the rad and headlight bar out of the way, it looks like a straight shot except for those two possible obstructions. Done my share of engine removals and installations, but none on an A, so not sure what I'll run into. Any advice or "watchouts" would be appreciated.
Bud Man
it can be done without removing but much easier installing with them off

you will also need to remove the top shift plate on the trans if you haven't already
Terry
tinkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:36 PM   #25
Bud Man

Well, pulled the engine and trans as a unit late yesterday, and all went smoothly.....nice when its a straight shot out the front! Gutted the block to prep it to ship to the builder early next week to begin that process, and looking at about two months of turnaround time. Engine was really tired, and I am really looking forward to driving this truck with a healthy mill in her later this fall. Only letdown so far is that after going through the transmission it appears that the case is cracked in two places - severe enough to start searching for a clean case to begin a needed rebuild there, as well.

Making progress!!!
Bud Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:02 PM   #26
1955cj5

There were some changes to the transmission case design along the way. They are outlined in Les Andrew's book on page 1-330.

I think the cases are interchangeable but the internal parts like thrust bearings on the cluster gear ends, and the main shaft bearing stops are either cast in on the early cases or later cases have a groove for a snap ring to retain the shaft bearings..

Just be sure of what you have before ordering parts...