Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-13-2018, 08:09 AM   #1
palmettojack

Default Wolf whistle

Any ideas as to where to mount a wolf whistle on a 30 Tudor sedan, and the mounting bracket if any, Thanks.
palmettojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:40 AM   #2
jhowes

Default Re: Wolf whistle

I just bought a brass "t" and screwed it into the vacuum outlet on the intake manifold. The place where the vacuum line goes to the windshield wiper. The problem that I have not solved is how to run a small cable or string from the wolf whistle to the interior of the car. I am told that using it to whistle at a young lady as you pass is considered abusive. In my day you would get a smile and a wave as she was flattered by the attention. Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:25 PM   #3
Jeff P. / MN

I used a Model T brass choke rod hooked to the WW and then passed through the same hole in the firewall as the carburetor control. It just hangs right next to the carb control rod and is very handy when I want to whistle at the ladies!
1948 Chrysler New Yorker
Jeff P. / MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:26 PM   #4
Jeff P. / MN

Yes, I did use a brass fitting and mounted the WW on the intake manifold.
1948 Chrysler New Yorker
Jeff P. / MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:21 PM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

In high school I used an English bicycle hand brake handle and cable to run my wolf whistle. This way you can flex the cable and mount the handle where you want.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 05:49 AM   #6
Keith True

You don't use the wolf whistle to whistle at girls.You use it to scare off the squirrel that was running in front of you.Sometimes the girl just happens to be in the neighborhood.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:35 AM   #7
katy

I read recently that: " Wolf whistling in France could soon attract a $500 fine"

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/...01-p4z2bn.html
Old 04-14-2018, 10:53 AM   #8
oldman - NorCal

While on tour and preparing to leave Golden Spike National Monument after the Loveland convention, two carloads of elderly women pull into the parking lot. I sat and watched from afar as the women struggled to get their walkers out of the trunks of their cars and got ready to go into the visitor center. They were obviously some pretty stout old birds, and, in their day I'm sure they garnered a lot more attention then I was paying to them now in this desolate northern Utah prairie. As I fired up the sedan I knew instinctively that they were not part of any MeToo movement and would probably welcome the attention by me, my trusted Wolf Whistle, and years of experience in such matters. I circled the lot and made my approach front-on for maximum effect and as we met simultaneously at the visitor center entrance I let go with a perfectly executed call. All 5 women burst into laughter and I heard one brag to her mates that she got a lot of those as a young woman.
oldman - NorCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 04:35 PM   #9
BILL WILLIAMSON

Since WHEN did a WOLF WHISTLE?????---Buster T. looks at me FUNNIE, whin I whistle a tune. He's jealous, cuz he has Lizzard Lips & cain't WHISTLE--LOL
He has NO thumb to work the space bar, so he uses his CHIN!
Speaking of Lizzards, while cutting wood, saw a SNAKE head, cut it with the CHAINSAW, it wuz a BIG LIZZARD!! I just cut off his tail & it wiggled for 10 MINUTES. The LIZZARD acted surprised & took off FAST!--After dulling my chain in the DIRT, took me 27 Minutes, to sharpen it!
Bill Spooky
Old 04-14-2018, 05:01 PM   #10
burner31

Some ads
Attached Images
File Type: jpg red-hot.jpg (35.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg hollywood_wolf.jpg (88.6 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg images (2).jpg (13.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg images (3).jpg (14.8 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg wolf_whistle.jpg (52.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg sarcasm.jpg (18.0 KB, 49 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 05:02 PM   #11
burner31

Some pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91q-ozhRAYL._SX355_.jpg (24.7 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg dc28640292a0cc78abae4b734e423481.jpg (114.4 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 255619_cdf8226432bc_low_res.JPG (115.1 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 646992.jpg (45.0 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg images (4).jpg (8.3 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg Wolf-Whistle-Old-School-Vacuum-Style-Very-Loud-_1.jpg (28.5 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg wP1030779.jpg (60.6 KB, 95 views)
Old 04-14-2018, 05:18 PM   #12
Clem Clement

Mine mount on the spark plug hole. My control is a safety wire with a loop in the end. Passengers love to blast everyone. I was in the DC Cherry Blossom parade today in my yellow Cabby. I tooted my horn 2374029258.6 times. 27495683455 ladies looked at us. I paid them no mind.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:12 PM   #13
figment

I don't mean to hi=jack this thread but does anyone know where to buy the small whistle that goes in the horn . I have one that is missing . I thought that I saw one offered at one time but can't remember . thank , Norm
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:07 PM   #14
w.michael

Many years ago, I mounted a wolf whistle on the intake manifold at the windshield wiper vacuum line attachment using a brass T as suggested above. The inside diameter of the brass fitting is too small, and the whistle doesn't work well with the small brass T. And so I bored out the brass fitting to a larger diameter to all three openings in the brass T. That really did work better, and I got a much louder whistle after I bored it out.

Well, it worked much better UNTIL late one Sunday night, coming down the mountain in the rain and in the dark, the engine suddenly died. Fortunately, I was able to coast right into a closed service station (remember service stations?) and under the canopy to get out of the rain. I raised the hood to find that the brass T had broken off, I guess from vibration, because it was so thin after I re-bored it. Easy fix, just remove the T and re-attach the windshield vacuum line. It could have been so much worse if I had not had a good place to stop.

Later I replaced the brass T with pipe fittings, which gave a stronger fitting and a larger inside diameter.

And, yes, I have told this story before on Fordbarn, but that didn't stop me from telling it again.

W. Michael
w.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:10 PM   #15
M2M

I do not recommend installing a Wolf Whistle as using one in today's USA, Canada, UK, or Australia would brand you as a Harvey Weinstein or Bill Cosby type of guy. I wouldn't be surprised if MARC and MAFCA make a rule banning their members from using them

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:31 PM   #16
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2M View Post
I do not recommend installing a Wolf Whistle as using one in today's USA, Canada, UK, or Australia would brand you as a Harvey Weinstein or Bill Cosby type of guy. I wouldn't be surprised if MARC and MAFCA make a rule banning their members from using them

The teacher asked us to discribe ourself in three words, I wrote:
"I am a rebel"

Never been PC, don't see me starting now, I've always been bending/breaking rules, but a ban...that's just sooo much easier.
Now I'm convinced...I'm getting one.
USA...USA...USA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images (43).jpg (6.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 04-14-2018, 10:53 PM   #17
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by w.michael View Post
Many years ago, I mounted a wolf whistle on the intake manifold at the windshield wiper vacuum line attachment using a brass T as suggested above. The inside diameter of the brass fitting is too small, and the whistle doesn't work well with the small brass T. And so I bored out the brass fitting to a larger diameter to all three openings in the brass T. That really did work better, and I got a much louder whistle after I bored it out.

Well, it worked much better UNTIL late one Sunday night, coming down the mountain in the rain and in the dark, the engine suddenly died. Fortunately, I was able to coast right into a closed service station (remember service stations?) and under the canopy to get out of the rain. I raised the hood to find that the brass T had broken off, I guess from vibration, because it was so thin after I re-bored it. Easy fix, just remove the T and re-attach the windshield vacuum line. It could have been so much worse if I had not had a good place to stop.

Later I replaced the brass T with pipe fittings, which gave a stronger fitting and a larger inside diameter.

And, yes, I have told this story before on Fordbarn, but that didn't stop me from telling it again.

W. Michael
REPETITION is the MOTHER of learning & the FATHER of BOREDOM!
Bill Repeater
Old 04-15-2018, 12:19 AM   #18
Chuck Sea/Tac

I had the same thing happen on the way to a club event. Fortunately there was a willow tree where I pulled over, so I carved a plug to shove in the hole.
I tried ss, it eventually broke as well. I haven’t had the whistle on the car for several years.
The whistles loosen up and break, so I just gave up.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:24 PM   #19
abachman3

Years ago I got a new 'whistle' part directly from Speedway Motors...
abachman3 is offline   Reply With Quote