Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-07-2010, 01:33 PM   #1
TinCup

Question Original Generator

I replaced my original generator with a 6volt alternator 5 years ago for reliability. Now a true voltage regulator that is made to fit into a cutout makes putting the old generator back on a project for this summer. I never ran the car with the old generator but upon ispection the armature, bearing and brushes look to be in good shape. I do seem to have two wires coming out of the hole in the top of the generator. All the generators I have seen only have one. The generator is Ford scripted generator and just looking at its age it appears to be an original. Did these two wires attach to one side of the cutout? Upon closer inspection one of the wires goes to a brush and one side of the field coil. the other wire goes to the other side of the coil. It appears to me that it is susposed to go to the other non adjustable brush.

Last edited by TinCup; 08-07-2010 at 02:43 PM.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
Bruce of MN

Default Re: Original Generator

My gen has one wire, but I was told that a standard gen has a post with nuts that the cutout lug straddles. I am living with the wire, but will see what I have over the winter and see what needs to be done to be standard.

Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:24 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Original Generator

The generator you have pictured is post Model A. The Model A uses a brass stud held in place by a brass nut. Also the Model A generator doesn't have cooling holes nor a beveled edge on the end plate.

If you elect to use this later generator you should replace the taped up wires with some good flexible wire. I have a limitied supply of very flexible wire at $1.00 per 14 inches. I use it in distributors and generators.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote