Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-06-2019, 03:24 PM   #1
flathead 53

Default Hard steering 53 f-100

I replaced steering box, tie rod ends ,center link ,king pins ,wheel bearings, Im running R215x78 front tires with 35lbs air pressure ,Only part not replaced is drag link.
flathead 53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:07 PM   #2
harvest

Default Re: Hard steering 53 f-100

steering box bearing problem?
harvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:27 PM   #3
Ole Don

Good quality grease in all of the new parts? I used straight STP in the gearbox of my 55 car, and the model A based hot rod. It works great, and is thick enough it wont run out past a loose seal.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:52 AM   #4
flathead 53

All new parts ,all well greased ,I guess with the wider wheels and radial tires ,I am expecting too much ,steering no problem when truck is moving.
flathead 53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:53 AM   #5
justold

Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead 53 View Post
I replaced steering box, tie rod ends ,center link ,king pins ,wheel bearings, Im running R215x78 front tires with 35lbs air pressure ,Only part not replaced is drag link.
Is the ride height correct , if high or low the drag ling will be pushing and pulling up or down hill rather than in a straight line .
justold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:58 AM   #6
rotorwrench

Everyone may have a different definition about what torque is required to turn the front wheels. If I encounter one that feels too stiff, I jack the vehicle with proper support and start by turning it through lock to lock. If it still feels resistant to turning then I disconnect the pitman arm and feel the box first. I overhaul and adjust my own steering boxes so I have a feel for how they should be. If it is adjusted too tight in the center location then it can be stiff and may wear out the worm prematurely. If it is turns smooth, has no notchy feel to it, and has no excessive play it should be good to go. If it has a lot of wear on center and someone takes the play out of it there, then it may be too stiff off center where there is less wear.

If the steering box checks out then I check the king pins. With new stuff, the spindles should move freely through their arc. If one is too stiff, it will get worse on the ground. Some of the new repro king pin kits have inferior thrust bearings and some have just thrust washers. Those will always be more stiff than the ones with the OEM large ball bearing type thrust bearings. Some of the replacement stuff I've seen out there is disgraceful.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote