Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-05-2020, 05:51 AM   #1
JanP

Default Front window 1936 5 window

Hi, I was just trying to get my crank out windshield working, as I noticed there are a few problems. Maybe some one can help me.
The rubber seal has to be removed for a new one. How are they installed?
The regulator does not work anymore in the close position. When the windshield is about 2 inches open it works perfectly. So I think I have to put in a new windshield regulator. Anyone a suggestion where to buy a good one? And even more important: How can I change it? Do I have to take the dash out? And if its like this, how is this done?
Thanks for your help!
JanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 06:55 AM   #2
rich b

Default Re: Front window 1936 5 window

The rubber seal fits into a groove in the windshield frame. I have always removed the windshield, dug out the remains of the old seal, cleaned the groove, and worked the new seal in place. All windshield rubber seals are not created equal. Vintique's version sucked, Drake's worked for me, your results may vary.

You have to remove all the fasteners from the dash and move it back to access the regulator screws.

I have a Drake reproduction regulator for my kid's car; it seems like a good piece; but I have not installed it, so I can't say how good.

Read here that they are "out of stock" at Drake; maybe check the vendors. I got mine from CG.

If you consider a used regulator; be wary and check the teeth in closed position where they are usually stripped or well worn.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 08:27 AM   #3
JanP

Thanks, can you tell me where the fasteners for the dash are? I just saw one left and one right.... something not that easy to see there?
Old 05-05-2020, 08:29 AM   #4
deuce lover

Open the windshield and you will see them.The windshield when closed hides them.
deuce lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 08:50 AM   #5
JanP

I will have a look, thanks.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:41 AM   #6
blucar

Having replaced the rubber windshield seal on several crank-out windshields I can speak from experience that they are very hard to get out of the channel grove. An easy way to help get the old hard rubber out is to use an electric heat gun to soften the rubber.

Once the channel is clean, repaint the surface with satin black rust inhibitor paint. Do not glue the new rubber seal in.
The dash is held in place by 12 flat headed screws that are concealed behind the windshield frame. They will be very hard to remove. I generally use a screw driver that fits the screw head perfectly, I then hit the handle of the screw driver a few times with a small hammer, don't try to force the screw. I then use an electric heat gun to heat the screw up, letting the screw cool, I spray PT Blaster on the screw, letting it sit for awhile. I then use the impact screw driver trick again. Taking your time, the screws will come right out. Note! The bolts that hold the dash in go into a nut that is 'captive' into the dash edge, therefor they are not assessable until the dash is out of the vehicle. If you break the screws, you will be in deep trouble.
Harbor Freight sells a nice set of Hammer Head screw drivers which are knock-offs of Snapon.
I have had the windshield out of my '36 several times during the 71 years I have owned the car. I recently had to remove the windshield and dash from a '36 pickup, using the procedure I outlined in the above.

Last edited by blucar; 05-05-2020 at 11:56 AM.
blucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 04:42 PM   #7
JanP

Thanks Bill, that will help!
What kind off sealing sits between the windshield and the dash? I could not find anything that fills the hole.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:01 PM   #8
blucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanP View Post
Thanks Bill, that will help!
What kind off sealing sits between the windshield and the dash? I could not find anything that fills the hole.

I don't understand the question about a seal at the 'windshield and the dash'.
The windshield is completely sealed to the body via the seal around the W.S. frame. The can be no other seal because the frame has to remain movable.
If you are referring to the gap between the dash and the frame adjacent to the window operator, that gap has to be there to accommodate the crank out assembly.
I forgot to mention in my write up yesterday that you will have to remove the windshield frame from the car in order to replace the seal.
Removal of the windshield will require the removal of the sun visors and header panel. Remove the operator crank-out bracket from the bottom of the frame, two screws that will require cranking the windshield out to get clearance for the screw driver, don't force the screws, 'patience' is your best ally. If you strip the head and/or break the screw, you are in deep trouble.
The frame is attached to the two upper hinges, one each left and right. Some frames have screws attaching the frame to the hinge, don't attempt to remove these screws, remove the screws holding the bracket to the hinge, usually round head, slotted, with star washers.
Once the windshield is removed from the car you will have ample access to remove the old seal and clean the channel.

The screws that hold the dash in will also be more accessible, especially if you have to "worry" the screws out.
If your car has been restored at some point in the past the removal of the windshield might not be to hard, however, if the windshield has not been out of the car in many years the job can be quite difficult.
I had to get a replacement frame for my '36 Ford truck, the frame was very badly rusted away, which is typical. I found a very good one in Atlanta Georgia. Pretty spendy, but very nice. I worried the screws out using a heat gun, BLASTER and patience. Had new glass installed, which was no problem because I had taken the frame apart. I repainted to satin black on the back side, installed a new rubber seal and put the windshield in the truck..
Foot Note! I don't recommend using glue/sealant on the windshield seal because if the channel is clean and newly painted the seal will lock into the channel and will not allow water to accumulate in the frame.
There are two holes in the lower corners of the windshield body recess. These are drain holes that direct water out of the area into the front quarter panel cavity via two small hoses... Good time to clear the holes of debris and put new hoses on same, while the dash is out fixing the window operator.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:36 AM   #9
JanP

Bill, great help!
I meant the gap. At my car there was a strange kind of rubber in this gap. So I thought there is a sealing missing.
It’s really cool to get so much help, because here in Germany are not to much cars like this!
Old 05-07-2020, 10:56 AM   #10
blucar

Jan, If working on your '36 Ford is your first attempt to work on an old car I would strongly suggest you take your time, don't rush the job.
Fasteners, (bolts/screws) tend to get brittle with age, add corrosion within the threads makes for broken screws and frustration. The original screws in the windshield frame are quite small fine thread, in many cases there are no new screws, washers, nuts, etc., available. Take pictures as you go, will help to refresh your memory.

It is very common for a novice car re-builder to discard old parts on the assumption that new parts can be purchased, Wrong! Bag and identify any part and the area it came from, it will make re-assembly much easier.
Old 05-07-2020, 11:27 AM   #11
blucar

Jan, A foote note to '36 Fords.
I have owned the '36 coupe shown in my avatar for over seventy-one years. If you look closely at the pic you will see a grille plaque attached to the right side of the grille. The plaque is the flag of Germany. (Deutschland, Blk/Red/Yellow) I have also attached a pic of the interior of my car, note the flower vase attached to the dash, typical of a German car of the '50's.
I was stationed in Fulda, Germany, 1956-58, I had a 1950 Opel, the vase and grille plaque came off of my Opel. I still have the 1957 US Forces in Germany lic plate.
Feel free to PM anytime with questions about your Ford.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35-36 Frd win,shld.3.jpg (97.4 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg henry.6.jpg (58.6 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg henry.3.jpg (68.8 KB, 102 views)
Old 05-07-2020, 01:17 PM   #12
johndee138

Jan you definitely need the 35-6 Ford book that the V8 club publishes. It is a world of info at your fingertips and worth EVERY penny it will cost you.
johndee138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 10:08 AM   #13
blucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndee138 View Post
Jan you definitely need the 35-6 Ford book that the V8 club publishes. It is a world of info at your fingertips and worth EVERY penny it will cost you.

I agree with the above comment about the 35-36 EFV8 Ford Book, however, when it comes to working on the actual car, the book is basically useless. There is no substitute for actual hands on experience from the guys that have worked on them for many years.
I once read that "when a man dies, a library burns down". I am trying my best to pass on all the knowledge I have stored in my head, hoping that the fire I cause will not be so great.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:42 PM   #14
JayChicago

I salute you, and everyone who posts here, for the time you all devote to passing the knowledge.

I am new to the V8 world. Learning every day. I would be lost without the forums, which give me the opportunity to learn from experience. Thank you all.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:12 PM   #15
JanP

Bill, I will definitely do so. Thanks!
Old 05-09-2020, 05:14 PM   #16
JanP

Hi, what club is it exactly?
Old 05-09-2020, 11:50 PM   #17
deuce lover

Here is a link to the book mentioned and info on the Club.
https://shop.efv8.org/collections/fo...book-softbound
deuce lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 05:34 PM   #18
JanP

Hey guys, just took some time and I am still working on my windscreen. Before I damage something, I ask for instruction. As I want to repaint or maybe chrome the windshield frame, please let me know how to take it in pieces without destroying it.....
All the screws that held the dash and the windshield were easy to loose. So I hope it will continue like that.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:41 AM   #19
36ford7

Thanks for the link.
Old 12-09-2020, 03:36 PM   #20
corvette8n

It’s funny I have that book and I don’t even own a ‘36(but I wish I did).
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote