Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-11-2012, 08:24 AM   #1
hdunker

Question Need front seat recommendation

I just bought a 1930 Model A 2 door sedan off of ebay and need to do some changes. I want to keep the outside, frame, and motor in original appearence, but I need to do something with the front seats to make it more comfortable and driveable. I would like to replace the seats with a more modern seat and would like to know if anyone has suggestions on how to do this. Thanks for the replys.
hdunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: Need front seat recommendation

if you need more leg room the parts houses sell seat adjusters to move it back and tilt.. i have them in all my cars big difference
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #3
hdunker

Can you suggest a supplier? Thanks.
hdunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:33 AM   #4
Mitch//pa
BANNED

they all sell the same thing. they are made from one manufacturer and sold by all... try brattons, snyders, or tams.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:42 AM   #5
mass A man

I believe I saw new seat frames/springs in the newest catalog from LeBaron-Bonney. They were NOT Model A, I believe they are for the hot rod crowd and customizers. They'll sell them bare springs OR with the upholstery on them or with them.
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #6
ndnchf

Please post a pic of your new 2 door. I'm looking for the "right' A for me, I wonder if it was one I had seen.
ndnchf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #7
Jon

Last year I thought I was going to have to sell my car. In fact I posted it for sale. I have severe neck problems from arthritis and driving more than 10 miles gave me too much pain. One of my friends suggested I look in the junk yard for some modern seats. So that's what I did. I kick myself now cause I can't remember what car I got these out of. I know it was a '98 or '99. I went to a local junk yard and got permission to go through the cars with a tape measure looking for some seats that would fit. Learning to just walk on by any that had the windshield busted out cause those would be water soaked. After about 2 hours and looking at maybe 100 cars I narrowed it down to two cars. The ones I bought and another car. If the pictures post you can see I chose the ones closest in color to my interior. I had them professionally cleaned, and installed them. I had to make a hinge for the front of the passenger side so I can tip it up. the dollies are just to cover the holes for the headrests. Every time we go for a ride my wife comments on how comfortable the seats are and we aren't worn out after riding anymore. The difference between these seats and stock Tudor seats are that the stock seats are like sitting on a beach ball. You don't sit in them you sit on them. These seats you sit in and have all the convenience of forward backward adjustment as well as tilting the seat back. I still have all of the original seat parts and was able to use the front mounting points to bolt these down so have not changed the car that way. I love them. My suggestion is to go to a junk yard making sure you know what width you can work with. You will be surprised at how narrow the Tudor is compared to modern iron. Here's the good part I paid $75 for the pair.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (69.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 002.JPG (84.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 003.JPG (69.5 KB, 44 views)
Old 07-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #8
Richard Wilson

I know of two different guys that installed Subaru bucket seats bought from a junk yard in their otherwise original Model A Tudors. Not sure of what year seats or what was involved. They had an upholstery shop redo the seats with Lebaron Bonney materials to match the rest of the interior. 99% of the people who see them at shows think that they are the original seats.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wilson View Post
I know of two different guys that installed Subaru bucket seats bought from a junk yard in their otherwise original Model A Tudors. Not sure of what year seats or what was involved. They had an upholstery shop redo the seats with Lebaron Bonney materials to match the rest of the interior. 99% of the people who see them at shows think that they are the original seats.
I did that to my Tudor when I had it and loved them. I used 95 subaru seats. If they are installed correctly, they will tilt forward like originals and still slide forward and backwards.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:33 PM   #10
Jon

My seats are out of a '99 Chevy Malibu. I do have a problem folding passenger seat forward to allow entry to the back however.