Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-28-2018, 09:26 AM   #1
Terry, NJ

Default Andre Hartford Shocks

In my nosing around in an Australian catalog, I came across this. Andre Hartford Friction shock absorbers! Since friction shocks are virtually unavailable in the US, I may just invest a little in a pair. The prices were quoted in Lbs sterling, so I assume the company is located in the UK. With the prices of US made shocks at what they are, we have got to find a lower priced unit. Search, Andre Hartford, shock absorber.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:29 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Andre Hartford Shocks

Friction shocks available from SpeedWay, possibly others.

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:40 PM   #3
gz

The Andre Hartford friction shock absorbers are great items. These are reproductions of a very popular shock absorber that was made for high end American/European cars and race cars from the early teens into the 1920s.

I don't think I have ever seen a set on a stock Model A, but it does not mean that they can not be successfully adapted to a stock "A". They have definitely been used on Model A era sprint cars and race cars.

I am familiar with these reproductions and they are top quality-not only in looks but in functionality as well.

Let us know how these work out for you and how you end up mounting them on your car.

Here is a link to the company I have bought them from. Not sure if this is what you saw. There is some helpful information here regarding which model to use vs. weight applications, etc.

https://www.completeautomobilist.com...andre-hartford

PS/FYI: The friction shock absorbers sold by Speedway, Sacramento Vintage Ford, etc These are designed for a Model A and I believe they can be used without modifications. They use the same mounting holes and can be used with the typical, aftermarket "dog bone" links. I know for awhile, these were no longer being made. Not sure if they are making them again, but it is worth looking into.

Last edited by gz; 12-28-2018 at 03:47 PM.
gz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:42 PM   #4
wensum

I have fitted the Offenhauser friction shocks from Speedway Motors to the front of my Speedster, a simple bolt on job. They are very simple compared with the Andre Hartford type, but what I like is that you set the loading with a torque wrench. Although Hartfords have a dial, there appears to be no way other than trial and error to know if each shocker is applying the same load? By the way, the Offenhauser shocks make a sound like a puppy barking when they work, possibly not heard in a saloon?
At $99 a pair, they are also very reasonably priced compared with original type shocks or Andre Hartfords

Last edited by wensum; 12-28-2018 at 04:45 PM. Reason: spelling
wensum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:24 PM   #5
gz

Just looked up the Speedway friction shock absorbers and found the "Offenhauser" shocks that wensum mentioned above. They also have the dog bone links and the ball which attaches from the shock arm to the dog bone link listed separately.

Not sure if the mounting holes are the same as on a stock A frame or if this needs to be modified. Also, a stock Model A rear shock arm is longer than the front, so I don't know if this will affect how these shocks are used and mounted.

A nice option for a very fair price:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Offen...cks,24951.html
Old 12-28-2018, 05:41 PM   #6
Synchro909

For a replica GP car of the day, I made my own friction shocks. Not difficult and not expensive if you don't count your own time.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:10 PM   #7
gz

While snooping around the Speedway catalog, also found these:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...ocks,3799.html
Old 12-28-2018, 08:34 PM   #8
Sparky

I have Speedway-style friction shocks on my speedster. I found that although the mounting hole spacing was the same as the stock shocks, they fit better with some modifications. In the front I reduced the height of the legs by cutting and welding, and shortened the arm to line up better with the perch ball. This is the one in the picture. On the rears, I staggered the height of the legs so they were more parallel with the body and fabricated steel spacers to get them lined up with the rear perches. I don't have a photo of the rears.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg friction shock.jpg (327.8 KB, 153 views)
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:15 PM   #9
Bob from Northport

Didn't MG use friction shocks at one time??
Old 12-28-2018, 11:27 PM   #10
Terry, NJ

I'll be darned! I used to get Speedway catalogs several times a year and I never saw them. I would love to try making them but I don't have a Bridgeport and I 'd like to have a pattern. With all due respect to Bill Stipe and the wonderful job he does with what he produces, They're just out of my affordable range. No offense to Bill, I can see what it would take to make my own. For me, possessing no machine tools, it would be impossible. I need a cheaper option.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:02 AM   #11
updraught

I talked to the Hartford people at Beaulieu Autojumble and the ones they recommend for a Ford, and the difficulty in trying to attach them, will make Stipe shocks look cheap.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:36 AM   #12
rocket1

I installed friction shocks on my ccpu in the late 60's,I think I purchased them from JCWhitney,they worked well then replaced them with more original looking after market shocks.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:52 AM   #13
vulture

I have used the speedway shocks and they work ok but I would buy the Elmer shocks. They not only look bitchen but work great.
I like to use original shocks or retrofit years like 1940s into my builds. You can still find the nos
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A523F777-2A15-4A14-835D-478791DCA59C.jpeg (61.7 KB, 90 views)
Old 12-29-2018, 10:56 PM   #14
Hoogah

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
I talked to the Hartford people at Beaulieu Autojumble and the ones they recommend for a Ford, and the difficulty in trying to attach them, will make Stipe shocks look cheap.
How so, Updraught?
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:48 AM   #15
updraught

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogah View Post
How so, Updraught?
They are expensive. Can't remember the model they recommended, but I put them down when I saw the price ticket.

Here are some prices. Then you have to work out a way to mount them.
Prices in pounds, so double it for us, and postage.
https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/ca...shock-absorber

There is a reason why hydraulic shocks were specified by Ford.
They work better.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 05:55 PM   #16

I have a set of replica Andre Hartford shocks on the front of my speedster build.They were not cheep set and slightly different to the originals in that the pressure indicator dial is different.
To mount them I used a carpenter's profile comb and took a profile of the front axle and used some rolled hollow steel with the back removed. The shape of the axle was profiled to the steel and the shaped with a small angle grinder. Two holes 5/16th drilled, and a U shape rod made to fit. Two shaped sections of 3/16 steel shaped and welded to the sides of the RHS and drilled to fit the attachment bolt. The chassis mount is the forward hole of the original shock mount slightly enlarged. I have used MGB Armstrong shocks on the rear.
Progress on the speedster is coming along.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3736.jpg (62.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3735.jpg (58.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3734.jpg (100.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3733.jpg (90.4 KB, 35 views)