Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2018, 12:28 AM   #21
GEOFFNZ

Default Re: NZ flathead pics I hope

There was quite a number of Jailbar wood bodied wagons built for the New Zealand army.Sold off at government sales in late 50s and 60s.All in good order and bought by tradesmen etc.Pretty well all rotted out in time. Cheers
GEOFFNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 04:48 PM   #22
mercman from oz

Wow, what a collection of great old Fords. This one is my pick. A 1935 Ford Deluxe Three Window Coupe. I also notice a few Aussie Utes have been added to the collection. Thanks for posting all these pictures.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 05:22 PM   #23
KiWinUS

Very welcome Mercman
The 35 three window was once quite a radical Hot rod as I understand it. A lot of $$$ was spent converting it back to the very nice car it is today
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:59 PM   #24
Graham Freeman

I was involved with the restoration of this car back in the early 80's for the late Rick Mayne who moved to Australia in 1986 and went on to build up a sizeable collection of 1935 V8's over there.
You are correct in saying it had been a hot rod prior to him obtaining it however I would not say it was radical.
The body was still stock but the motor and transmission had been upgraded.
This vehicle became part of this collection about 1985.
Graham Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:17 AM   #25
KiWinUS

Thanks Graham for the more accurate info, I had a lot of info to digest in the few hours I had enjoying my tour.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:48 PM   #26
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Graham Rick Mayne got a 35 three window from Auckland was that the car Ted

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:03 PM   #27
Graham Freeman

No Ted that 3 window went to Australia (ex Tuthill ) along with a 35 cabriolet ex Late Don Massey.
He also obtained a couple of years earlier a 36 3 window body from Hamilton which is now in Nelson as a hot rod.
Graham Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:06 AM   #28
nathanmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Didn't notice any station wagons. Were there wood bodied wagons imported into Australia/New Zealand? Considering the dry climate there should be survivors. Bill
The only Woody I know of that came to NZ was a Mercury, a 46 or 47. If I remember accurately it was brought out here by Lord Freyburg(?) after WW2 and eventually ended up in Invercargill. I believe the same guy who owned the 32 roadster that’s now in the above collection also owned the woody at the same time. The roadster was actually repossessed from him by E Hayes (my dad followed it on the trailer that day and phoned the chap that restored it, long story). The woody had previously been up for sale for $300 and dad never bought it...

The last I remember hearing is it went to Canada but I’m sure someone will know for sure as not many were built in the first place. This all happened around the late 1970’s, early 1980’s I believe. Really wish dad had a spare 3 hundy back then! I have no idea what condition it was in, but apparently had a little rot around the rear corners. Would be interesting to know what became of it.
nathanmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:23 AM   #29
Bill

Thanks Nathan. Someone following this thread will know the next chapter of that car.. Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:17 AM   #30
KiWinUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanmac View Post
The only Woody I know of that came to NZ was a Mercury, a 46 or 47. If I remember accurately it was brought out here by Lord Freyburg(?) after WW2 and eventually ended up in Invercargill. I believe the same guy who owned the 32 roadster that’s now in the above collection also owned the woody at the same time. The roadster was actually repossessed from him by E Hayes (my dad followed it on the trailer that day and phoned the chap that restored it, long story). The woody had previously been up for sale for $300 and dad never bought it...

The last I remember hearing is it went to Canada but I’m sure someone will know for sure as not many were built in the first place. This all happened around the late 1970’s, early 1980’s I believe. Really wish dad had a spare 3 hundy back then! I have no idea what condition it was in, but apparently had a little rot around the rear corners. Would be interesting to know what became of it.
WOW .. now I may have more info on this or maybe another woody. Around 73-74 when I had just got my 36 in avatar on road after being in a barn for over 10 years , we were hanging out in it on the main street of Ashburton (4 stop light town then.) Another young guy from Omaru, 2 hours south, pulled up in a 46-48 Mercury woody .It was in great shape painted cream with a purple lace stripe from side to side across the front mudguards. It had a 327 Xhev in it adapted to the original trans. We b/s'd for a few hours & the following Sunday he cam back up to Ashburton & offered to trade me the woody less engine for my 36 . I turned him down (What a dummy I was) Oh well don't know if it was same woody or another & never seen the woody again.
Cheers
Tony
Old 03-03-2018, 08:24 AM   #31
nathanmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiWinUS View Post
WOW .. now I may have more info on this or maybe another woody. Around 73-74 when I had just got my 36 in avatar on road after being in a barn for over 10 years , we were hanging out in it on the main street of Ashburton (4 stop light town then.) Another young guy from Omaru, 2 hours south, pulled up in a 46-48 Mercury woody .It was in great shape painted cream with a purple lace stripe from side to side across the front mudguards. It had a 327 Xhev in it adapted to the original trans. We b/s'd for a few hours & the following Sunday he cam back up to Ashburton & offered to trade me the woody less engine for my 36 . I turned him down (What a dummy I was) Oh well don't know if it was same woody or another & never seen the woody again.
Cheers
Tony
I'm guessing the odds of two Merc woodies in the South Island is pretty slim! I only know what I remember from Dad telling me way back and I'm not sure what motor it had when it was in Invercargill. I have a vague idea the owners name down here was Scobie, (only lived about 3 streets away from us) but I have no direct knowledge of it. Someone must have a photo in an album somewhere though...

It's a shame it was lost to NZ as it was a rare beast, what I wouldn't give to have it parked in the garage!
nathanmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 01:11 PM   #32
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

It has appeared in several early issues of the NZ Hot Rod magazine back in the 1970's
or thereabouts.
Chris.NZ.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:00 PM   #33
KiWinUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanmac View Post
I'm guessing the odds of two Merc woodies in the South Island is pretty slim! I only know what I remember from Dad telling me way back and I'm not sure what motor it had when it was in Invercargill. I have a vague idea the owners name down here was Scobie, (only lived about 3 streets away from us) but I have no direct knowledge of it. Someone must have a photo in an album somewhere though...

It's a shame it was lost to NZ as it was a rare beast, what I wouldn't give to have it parked in the garage!
Nathan , if I remember correctly this guy put the chev in it , he was a little older than me (17) I think he could buy beer legally.
Cheers