Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-17-2015, 02:45 PM   #1
bk53

Default question about replacing vacuum advance

Hi,
I have one of the delco points distributors with vac advance from Bubba.
I need to replace the vac advance. Its like no matter what the adjustment is set to it adds about 14 degrees of advance. I've had this for a couple years now. It seemed tro be ok for a while, then I noticed some pinging under load.
Anyway, I can see the two little allen screws and was hoping I could replace this can with the dist still in. Not sure why, just didn't feel like stabbing the dist again. Anybody done this? Not much wiggle room there it looks like, either way.

Regards,
Bill
bk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:18 PM   #2
oldford2

Default Re: question about replacing vacuum advance

Why not call Bubba and ask him??
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:47 PM   #3
bk53

well you know, i know there are others on here that do know and I guess that's who the question was directed at. If it comes to it I will trouble the expert. Fact is, saturday I'll figure it out either way, just trying to avoid a little grief.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:09 PM   #4
BUBBAS IGNITION

No grief here, and a pm would have fixed ya up the first day you thought about the problem.

Thats what we do , is help people and really extra help for our customers.

If ya bought the distributor from us it will have one of two options on it.

1-A accell adjustable advance (allen wrench fits inside the vac tube on the vacuum unit and you can feel it adjust the spring tension) Just tighten it up for more tension....very tuneable......
I would be glad to send you one if thats what you think the problem is, just let me know and i will ship you one right away......

2-A new stock chevrolet unit which would be a 7 degree advance unit that should advance 14 degrees engine with full manifold vacuum....

Either way the vacuum is pretty hard to tune on a flathead engine , and takes some time etc....

I would set the timing on the pin ( 2-4 degrees) and tighten it down. The distributor should advance any more than 24 degrees at 3000 rpm....manifold vac on the vac unit could add another 14 degrees etc.
However its pretty hard to pull max vac at 3000 rpm...

Glad to help just send me a pm............

Now if ya gotta ( and i dont think you do) use a vacuum pump and apply vac to the vacuum unit, pulling plate all the way one way until both allens can be seen. Remove both screws ( notice the frt one also has a plate ground wire to it). The bend the area where the hole is for vac upward ( dont over do it ) and remove vacuum unit.
Do the same thing with the new unit and bend hole downward ( again carefull) that way you can install without removing distributor......

Now heres the real problem ! Chevrolet makes maybe 10-15 vac units all calibrated to a different setting , based on vehicle etc. Aftermarket ( who know what they are going to make).
Point is that the odds of the first unit we sent you being bad is very slim and the odds of the replacement parts making it worse are very good..!!!
PM with shipping address and i will send ya one to try to fix this before it gets any worse.......

Last edited by BUBBAS IGNITION; 09-17-2015 at 05:16 PM.
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:19 PM   #5
bk53

Thanks, will do. Its been so long since i posted a question that i forgot about PM

I agree with Capt kirk, Best customer service customer service i've had in... well I can't remember when.

Last edited by bk53; 09-18-2015 at 05:45 AM.
bk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:31 PM   #6
Capt Kirk

Wow. Yet another post from Bubba offering customer support that rivals anything I've ever seen before. Kudo's once again to Bubba...a true Unicorn in today's world!
Empty wallet
Capt Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote