Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-11-2020, 05:58 PM   #1
Reelnative

Default Tail lamp question?

Here is another question! My tail lamps have yellow/amber on the top and red on the bottom. The previous owner added a second light, when I apply the brakes only the left yellow light comes on? Should'nt the red come on? The previous owner also added turn signals also. I'm not sure if the right side is hooked up or not and will be checking it tomorrow with a volt meter. I quess my question is is the yellow one supposed to come on with the brake? Why are some lights all red? Also are they supposed to have a tag light?

Thanks in Advance.
Reelnative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:16 PM   #2
Bill G

Default Re: Tail lamp question?

Some are amber on top and red on the bottom and some are red all over. Mine is wired so that the top section is the brake and turn signal with brighter lamps and the bottom is the tail lamp with a dimmer bulb. In order to have the top section be both for turn signal and brake, you have to wire the brake light switch through the turn signal switch which makes that work. The Model A only came with one light on the driver's side. A second passenger side light would have always been added by someone later on in the life of the car. If you don't have the brake lights doing double duty with the turn signals, the wiring is simpler, but then you need a second set of lights just for turn signals.

The driver's side light fixture had a built in white lens to illuminate the license plate. Depending on which passenger side light you buy, it may or might not come with the lens to illuminate the license.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:24 AM   #3
Patrick L.

Bill covered it well.

The originals had yellow top light for brake and bottom red for tail as he mentioned. Some states now require stops to be red so aftermarket lens are red. I've yet to see anyone ticketed for improper lens color.

If using turn signals I much prefer to use the original lights rather than add those little things that mount to the bumper.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:52 AM   #4
ryanheacox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
If using turn signals I much prefer to use the original lights rather than add those little things that mount to the bumper.

I was just thinking that would be pretty slick to have the signal lights share the brake light bulbs. Then I remembered my car would only be able to signal left turns
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 08:37 AM   #5
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanheacox View Post
I was just thinking that would be pretty slick to have the signal lights share the brake light bulbs. Then I remembered my car would only be able to signal left turns

LOL.

I have seen others convert to dual stop/tail lights by putting an additional one on the right rear fender.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:19 AM   #6
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanheacox View Post

Heck you could still get to where you're going. It'll just take a bit longer making only left turns.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote