Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-06-2019, 01:13 AM   #21

Default Re: MMO non believers

I have had a container of "Flash lube" near on full. I added 2ltrs of A.T.F. and 100ml of a solvent and have been using that at a rate of 100ml to a 50 ltr of unleaded fuel. You can get MMO here in Aus. but it is so expensive, i have reserved my container of 3gal for my aircraft motor which is over 70 years old. It can be obtained from AVIAL Pty Ltd at about $80.00+ for 3gal.
When I run out of my present supply of flashlube/aft, I will mix a brew of 3 parts marine grade two stroke oil to two parts AFT plus a minute amount of solvent, good in the toyota 22r motor, 2.2ltr Subaru, and of course the 29 A model.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:25 AM   #22
Beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb person View Post
Can't get MMO in my country so i use A.T.F. sometimes.
Smells a bit funny but it does cushion the valves nicely & lubes the stems & tap.
Also seems to reduce the piston slap sound by cushioning them against the cylinder walls on their way up.

Laugh if you want but it's all true.
how does your plugs handle it? you would be better off to use 2 cycle oil as it will do the same thing but will burn clean and is designed to burn apposed to ATF which is designed to not burn
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:43 PM   #23
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
how does your plugs handle it? you would be better off to use 2 cycle oil as it will do the same thing but will burn clean and is designed to burn apposed to ATF which is designed to not burn
Plugs seem to handle it well. 1 'cap full' with every second fill. Nothing excessive.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:23 PM   #24
Werner

I can confirm that, was 'Beater' wrotes.

Two-stroke oil is a good compromise. I do not know if there is a difference in the USA between "self-mixing" and "not self-mixing" two-stroke oil.

For this application is 'not self-mixing' better.

Ford Model A, Roadster, 1928
Citroen 11 CV, 1947
Hercules W 2000, 1976; (with NSU-Wankel Rotary Engine), Canadian version
Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:44 AM   #25
Beater

Quote:
Plugs seem to handle it well. 1 'cap full' with every second fill. Nothing excessive.
honestly I think a " cap full" in a tank of 10 gallons, well, you might as well not bother. that is so little that it shouldn't make any difference .
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:50 PM   #26
DannL

I haven't used anything in the gas of my vehicles for over 50 years. I've found the results to be truely amazing. :-)

Oh BTW . . . Picked up a bottle of this snake oil today at Wallymart. At my age I'm willing to try anything.

Last edited by DannL; 11-07-2019 at 10:55 PM.
DannL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:01 AM   #27
fuzes45

Wally world has good price on MMO
fuzes45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:09 AM   #28
History

I hear the stuff is so good that you will now start waking up with a tent already pitched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannL View Post
I haven't used anything in the gas of my vehicles for over 50 years. I've found the results to be truely amazing. :-)

Oh BTW . . . Picked up a bottle of this snake oil today at Wallymart. At my age I'm willing to try anything.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:17 AM   #29
1928Mik

I've had great success with both Seafoam and MMO, so I purchase whichever is on sale. My Dad used MMO all the time. (MMO label states it's chemically known to cause cancer in CA, so I guess you shouldn't use it if you are located there!)

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:12 PM   #30
Jeff/Illinois

And you can try THIS. Works great in all engines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2dFX5POvPg
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:24 PM   #31
fried okra

Location: Daniel Island,SouthCarolina/Knoxville, Tennessee/Sanibel Island,Florida

Fortunately I can buy non ethanol fuel here now in South Carolina, and feel that is a plus for these old engines.

Anyone else agree?

fried okra
fried okra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:48 PM   #32
30 Closed Cab PU

X2, yes, Use it in my A and all my small engines, fill the tanks full with some Stabil 360 when storing, all my storage issues disappeared. No water in the gas or phase separation, no varnishing in the carbs, gas looks good no yellowing/red. Am lucky enough to have a local owned service and gas station in town that sells both standard and premium non ethanol, they do not sell ethanol gas. They also pump the gas for you. More expensive, but less than Premium no ethanol at the chain gas stations.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:07 PM   #33
holdover

When I was a teenager in 1962 I saw this with my own eyes. A MMO salesman who also sold other products to the garage, Mortimer Bros garage on New York Ave in Huntington Station LI, I pumped gas at while in HS, came in and said that MMO was so good that we could drain the oil out of his engine , which was filled with MMO, and he would drive a loop around the neighborhood of at least 5 miles and come back to the station. Up on the lift it went, out came the oil saved in a drip tray, even had the dip stick removed before and after to show there was no oil after it was drained. Duke the owner went for the ride, I believe it was a full size 1961 Chev. 4 door with a six cylinder engine. Came back replaced the MMO in the crank case, took an order for a few cases and moved on to his next stop. Duke said he looked and it was no double bottom oil pan, and did not have any oil lines feeding oil like a side oiler. To this day I believe it really ran for 5 miles without oil in the crank case. Would I do something with one of my vehicles like that, NO WAY. We sold a lot of MMO after that demo.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:45 PM   #34
Karl

Quote:
Can't get MMO in my country so i use A.T.F. sometimes.
Smells a bit funny but it does cushion the valves nicely & lubes the stems & tap.
Also seems to reduce the piston slap sound by cushioning them against the cylinder walls on their way up.

Laugh if you want but it's all true.
I use Moreys Upper cylinder Lubricant -Which is probably similar to MMO (who knows) I'm not sure I can tell the difference from using it or not using it in terms of how the car runs. What I have found is that if I use it the gas stays "good " longer if I'm not using the cars as much over winter.

When we replaced the cracked inlet manifold on the V8 the mechanic commented on how clean and completely sludge free the valve train was after 95000 miles. I'm not sure if its the Moreys or the fact that I change the oil without fail (unless on a long trip) every 1000 miles . I also run thermostats which I believe helps with sludge.

I would be worried about putting ATF or anything that is not designed to burn through the Fuel system . While I'm not sure that real studies show commercial gas additives improve things given their survival in the market and lack of lawsuits I suspect that at worst they do no harm . I bet ATF has no studies done regards its use in this application

Karl
Old 11-10-2019, 02:54 AM   #35
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
honestly I think a " cap full" in a tank of 10 gallons, well, you might as well not bother. that is so little that it shouldn't make any difference .
Who said anything about ten gallons? That's over a months pay for me!
I'm probably getting 40-50 to one mix in 2strke speak.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:10 PM   #36
30 Closed Cab PU

From what I have seen here, and what is on an MMO bottle, 4 ozs. per 10 gallons. As the above poster, I incorrectly assumed when you "fill", you were filling from an almost empty tank to a full tank. I assumed incorrectly.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:16 AM   #37
Bob Bidonde

I can understand the shutoff valve and carburetor getting deposits from modern gasoline if it is allowed to evaporate in the system. However, every time I put my Model A's away for the day, I run my engines until the carburetor goes dry. I do not put any additives into the gasoline, and I have never had a problem with deposits causing leaks / malfunctions since I got my first Model A in 1962.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-08(2).jpg (65.9 KB, 10 views)
Old 11-11-2019, 03:31 PM   #38
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by fried okra View Post
Fortunately I can buy non ethanol fuel here now in South Carolina, and feel that is a plus for these old engines.

Anyone else agree?

fried okra
Ab-so-LUTE-ly
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote