Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #1081
Vic Piano

Default Re: What I Did on My Lunch Hour

I went down to my friends auto repair shop at noon, to get the '47 Continental fired up so I could drive her home, so we can play with her tomorrow.

The car still has some electrical mysteries that need solving/fixing, mostly in the charging side. Both headlights work on high & low beam but only one tail light works... No fog lights work, the brake lights were working... No dash lights, I tried the rheostat switch but no luck so, it looks like we'll have some fun with the Lincoln in addition to Mike's '41 BC and possibly Steve's '55 Pickup...
Old 08-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #1082
Marv

Vic maybe it is time to install a new wiring harness. marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:18 AM   #1083
Vic Piano

Marv, the harness is relatively new; (although some of the end connections look a little iffy) it looks like a Rhode Island harness. I think the coil needs to be rebuilt and the Optima battery that is in the car needs to be in the trash... I just came out and tried to fire the '47 up and the battery (which showed a full charge last night) would hardly crank the motor... I'm charging up an Optima 6 volt that I had on the shelf to see if that makes a difference. We'll see.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #1084
Vic Piano

Steve and Mike came over and we messed with the '47 Lincoln... The consensus; the coil needs to be rebuilt (we did the ice bag test on the coil and the car fired right up...) We also added two new grounds, battery to frame and engine, and disconnected the horn relay as the horns were shorting out at the horn ring on the steering wheel... We took her for a test drive, and it was time for pizza... After lunch Steve and Mike took off so, I decided to wash a few cars... Later this afternoon I'll see if the Lincoln will fire up, take her in the garage and see why the brake lights are not working...
Old 08-18-2013, 12:43 PM   #1085
Vic Piano

Wow... Talk about opening up a can of worms... this '47 Lincoln has a ton of issues. Who ever it was that did the "restoration work" on this car, should be flogged!!! This morning I crawled under the car to check the brake light switch, there was power going to the switch but no brake lights. I installed a new switch and still had no brake lights; also, only one tail light was working. I opened the trunk and pulled back the carpeting to fine the right rear tail light was not connected to the harness... now, after making the connection, the car has two tail lights albeit one is brighter so, I removed the lens from the other tail light and took the bulb out... as soon as the bulb was free, the brass "dot" connector for the brake lights popped off... The tail light sockets are after-market, not original or OEM replacement parts... So, at the moment, we're dead in the water until I let the owner know what fun we've uncovered and get his approval to "spend his money" to make the necessary repairs. I guess I can still continue to search for other problems...
Old 08-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #1086
V8COOPMAN

Your troubleshooting technique seems a little out of sequence, but the comedic value here is priceless. Any chance that someone knowledgeable will look at that thing before something bad happens? This is sixty-five-year-old plus automotive electrical technology...doesn't get a whole bunch simpler, yet is still capable of burning that thing to the ground when someone doesn't have a clue. A $5 VOM from Harbor Freight and even limited knowledge of it's use would have confirmed the brake light switch was NOT your problem, for starters. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #1087
Marv

Vic that Lincoln may have some problems but it sure is a nice looking Lincoln. Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #1088
37 Coupe

The guy that owns that Lincoln needs to get it to someone like GM that knows what they are doing and quick. In the meantime doublecheck insurance.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #1089
Vic Piano

Thanks V8coopman & '37Coupe, glad you are enjoying the fun and Coopman, how come your buddy Kube hasn’t chimed in? Anyway, it's nice to see you crawl out from your hole and join in, I'm glad to know you are still my number one fan... You are right about it being simple technology, what makes it tough is (not knowing what someone else did or didn't do to the car previously, this car had all kinds of electrical weirdness done to it). We don't have the luxury of ripping everything out and starting from scratch. The brake light switch was part of the problem, perhaps I should have been a bit more rudimentary in my explanation for you to grasp it but I didn't think you still cared... And how about you '37Coupe, how many cars have you burned up? I haven't burned any in almost 50 years of messin' with Flatheads. It might interest you to know that we’ll be sending the coil to Skip and the distributor to Bubba’s to be rebuilt. Might I suggest (if you want to comment on my threads in the future) that instead of firing off cheap shots, you provide some constructive criticism and/or useful information, if you have any! At any rate I hope you’ll both continue tuning in and enjoying our Flathead adventures. And now, its time for me to drive (one of my Flatheads) up to the Cigar Shop for a treat. Have a nice weekend.

Last edited by Vic Piano; 08-18-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Vic Piano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #1090
Vic Piano

Hi Marv, the Lincoln is a nice looking car, and it will make a super driver once we get everything ironed out...
Old 08-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #1091
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Thanks V8coopman & '37Coupe, glad you are enjoying the fun and Coopman, how come your buddy Kube hasn’t chimed in? Anyway, it's nice to see you crawl out from your hole and join in, I'm glad to know you are still my number one fan... You are right about it being simple technology, what makes it tough is (not knowing what someone else did or didn't do to the car previously, this car had all kinds of electrical weirdness done to it). We don't have the luxury of ripping everything out and starting from scratch. The brake light switch was part of the problem, perhaps I should have been a bit more rudimentary in my explanation for you to grasp it but I didn't think you still cared... And how about you '37Coupe, how many cars have you burned up? I haven't burned any in almost 50 years of messin' with Flatheads. It might interest you to know that we’ll be sending the coil to Skip and the distributor to Bubba’s to be rebuilt. Might I suggest (if you want to comment on my threads in the future) that instead of firing off cheap shots, you provide some constructive criticism and/or useful information, if you have any! At any rate I hope you’ll both continue tuning in and enjoying our Flathead adventures. And now, its time for me to drive (one of my Flatheads) up to the Cigar Shop for a treat. Have a nice weekend.
I thought it was constructive and usefull, especially the insurance part.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #1092
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Coupe View Post
I thought it was constructive and usefull, especially the insurance part.
Given in the proper context I would have considered that constructive... But thanks anyway...
Old 08-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #1093
Vic Piano

Well, here's an up date on the '47 Lincoln (for those who might be interested). I walked out to the garage this morning and (no surprise here) found that the car was not burned up, and did in fact fire right up... Sorry to disappoint the naysayers...
Old 08-20-2013, 07:17 AM   #1094
Vic Piano

Let's see now... for the second day in a row, the '47 Lincoln has held a charge and fired right up... Wow... could it be we really do know what we're doing?... LOL

Next I’m pulling the coil and distributor out, to have the coil rebuilt by Skip and the distributor tweaked by Bubba. I’m also going to order new tail light buckets and wiring to fix the brake lights. Soon this “boat” will be ready for a voyage… I’d sure like to drive her up to the Moonshine Festival…
Old 08-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #1095
Vic Piano

It's Saturday so... It must be play time again...

This morning I moved a few cars around (in and out of the garage). Our '47 Rag Top was occupying the lift, and I needed to put the '47 Continental on it to check the fluid levels in the transmission and over drive. The cars look good together with the early morning sun shining through the oaks.

After I checked (and topped off) the fluid in the transmission & Over Drive, etc., on the Continental, I got very ambitious and decided to wash the '47 rag top...

Now I'm tired and I haven't even started my yard work chores...
Old 08-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #1096
Vic Piano

Ok, I could use a little help here...

Hopefully some of you are familiar with the electronic Over Drive in the '47 Lincoln Continental. We have a '39 Zephyr and a '49 Cosmopolitan, the Zephyr will have a Columbia two speed rear (vacuum operated) and the Cosmo has the electric Over Drive however, it is not configured (read that wired) the same as the '47 Continental. The '47 has "box" on the firewall which (for lack of a better name) I will call the "relay" (see photo)

I have indicated, with the green arrow, the two green wires (in a seperate harness) connected to the "relay". The harness runs along the block between the drivers side head and intake manifold. the wires had been previously terminated and taped off (see photo)

I found this harness tucked under the generator when I traced it from the "relay". My question is: Where do these two wires belong? Judging from the length of the harness and its location (if correct in the first place), the only places that these wires could go, would be on the generator or the coil, and neither of those seem likely to be correct… As always, help is appreciated. Thanks. Vic
Old 08-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #1097
40cpe

Hi Vic. Later models of the overdrive units had a wire from the solenoid that was run through the kick-down switch and terminated on the coil distributor-side post. This would interrupt power to the engine for an instant to let the overdrive drop out for passing gear.

I'm not familiar with the wiring on the Continental. Are there any letters or markings on the relay terminals?
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #1098
Vic Piano

Hi Gene,

Both terminals (with the green wires) look like they have the number 2 stamped on them. According to the '47 Continental Owner's manual, "the OD is fully automatic; the only manual control for the overdrive is the lockout control knob. When the knob is pushed in, the overdrive will be in operation. When the car speed is increased to over 25 mph, the overdrive goes into operation automatically as soon as the foot pressure is removed from the accelerator pedal. When the car speed falls below 23 mph, the return to standard drive is automatic. The return to standard drive from overdrive at any speed above 25 mph (for additional acceleration or power) is accomplished be pressing the accelerator pedal all the way down (past wide open position). The unit then remains in standard drive until the foot pressure is removed from the accelerator pedal. The clutch pedal is not used in any of the above operations.

I wish there was a schematic in the owners manual because I don’t have a shop manual for the ’47 Lincoln Continental and (from what I can see) the ’49 Cosmo overdrive set up is different… Vic
Old 08-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #1099
40cpe

The operation sounds just like the later models operate. The relay on the later models only have 3 wires: (1) power in, (2) power out to the solenoid (through the kick down switch) , and (3) the governor control wire
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #1100
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
The operation sounds just like the later models operate. The relay on the later models only have 3 wires: (1) power in, (2) power out to the solenoid (through the kick down switch) , and (3) the governor control wire
Gene,

That's the way the overdrive is set up on the '49 Cosmopolitan but the '47 is not the same... I've got some calls into a few guys I know that have '42 -'48 Lincolns, so hopefully they will be able to provide some insight... I’m looking forward to seeing you at the Moonshine Festival. Vic