Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-05-2016, 12:21 PM   #21
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: Greasing spindles

A GOOD grease gun will put out 2,000 + pounds of pressure.
Using a grease fitting, I used mine to disassemble STUCK Brake Calipers & Wheel Cylinders. (Tip# 319)
Bill W.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:13 PM   #22
Tom Wesenberg

I've also used the grease gun to push out stuck brake pistons. When I get time to work on it I will also use the grease gun to push the Maytag stuck piston back (I hope). Of course being a 2 stroke, if the ports are uncovered, then the grease gun won't work.

I filled my grease gun with diesel and used it to test the pressure and spray pattern of my diesel Rabbit injectors, which takes over 2,000 lbs. pressure.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:33 PM   #23
Beater

a gun in good shape will push much more than 2000 psi
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:38 PM   #24
redmodelt

You are greasing the king pins bushings and thrust bearing, they don't need that much grease just till you see it come out. You only need to get enough grease in the bottom one till is comes out the bottom or top maybe a couple of pumps with a normal gun. The top one, if you can see any grease coming out top of or from under the thrust bearing then it's getting grease. If you can"t get grease then maybe the problem is the fittings or gun.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:51 PM   #25
saintjoelarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Might try a heat gun to get the bushings fairly hot. I'm using a well worn temporary axle on my 28 while I restore the original, and it also has a couple fittings that won't take grease.

You might be able to find a special grease tool that you strike with a hammer to knock the grease into the fitting. I should have bought the one I saw years ago.
I'm not sure what your dealing with Clem, but I can tell you that Tom's trick worked for me. I used a small propane torch to heat the spindle for only 30 seconds or so, and it was enough to melt the rock-hard grease in my spindle.

It seems that if you can see the spindle Clem, it should take grease. Are you sure the fitting is clear and working? Can you attache the loose fitting to the end of your grease gun and give it a pump to see if it gets through there?

Good luck!
saintjoelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:15 PM   #26
Clem Clement

YABBA DABBA DO. All greased. I bought a grease gun adapter from Brattons. Part # 36820(my old one was plastic or JB weld cast) The new one is of a different design. The metal adapter has the taper and inside it has a needle that inserts of the early grease fitting's opening. I easily got grease to move into the spindle bearings. I try and grease until the fresh grease's color come out. Then clean off the mess. Yahoooo.

Tech tip: The adapter screws on the grease gun's tube at the end nearest the small bend.

Also since grease guns dribble and drip, I kept all grease guns in a mud bucket. Let 'm drip.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote