Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-04-2019, 09:11 PM   #1
ken sungela

Default 1930 model A starter 12V conversion

Hi,
My first post here. I'm working on a 1930 model A and purchased the 12V field coils for the starter. I took them along with the starter to a rebuilder who installed the coils, but couldn't get the starter to work. He said the armature needs to be reversed or the end plate turned(but then the bolts holes don't line up) in order for it to work. So I am stuck. Can anyone share instructions on how exactly to convert the starter to 12V?
Thanks in advance.
ken sungela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:50 PM   #2
Dick Steinkamp

Default Re: 1930 model A starter 12V conversion

The starter doesn't have to be converted to 12V. A 6V starter will work fine on 12V.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:55 PM   #3
Herb Concord Ca

your rebuilder is wrong. Make sure the brushes are installed in the correct slots. 2 are grounded, 2 are insulated from ground. the grounded brushes are the ones with the exposed copper wires. On the end plate your can see which one are insulated by looking at the inside of the end plate and which ones are grounded. Set them in the correct holders. both end plates are keyed and are different. This means the starter will only go together one way. after you have this sorted out. Check the through bolts, make sure it clears the field coil buss bar at the bendix end, you make have to bend the bar for the through bolt to clear, and not short out the field coil to ground. With the bolts installed make sure you can turn the armature by hand without it dragging. the end play on the shaft should be no more the 020 to 030". connect to a battery just tapping the copper button, it sure turn very fast.
Good luck.
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:29 PM   #4
Charlie Stephens

ken,

Put your general location in your profile. Someone might recommend a local rebuilder that can handle the job. Welcome to Fordbarn.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:43 PM   #5
Y-Blockhead

I have converted more than a few starters to 12v using the field coils available from Snyder's. Work great. Like Herb, I also feel your rebuilder is overlooking something. The instructions from Snyder's are pretty straight forward https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/R...ields-4934.pdf Ensure the poles are not hitting the armature and the armature spins freely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
The starter doesn't have to be converted to 12V. A 6V starter will work fine on 12V.
Dick is correct, you don't 'have to' convert your 6v starter to 12v, but I feel the 12v is a little less "harsh" on engagement than the 6v running on 12v. JMO.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 08-04-2019 at 11:56 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:30 AM   #6
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
yup, find another rebuilder.

https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/R...ields-4934.pdf
Old 08-05-2019, 06:28 AM   #7
ken sungela

Thanks guys, yes I know I don't have to convert it, but don't want any long term reliability issues. So I can use all the parts from the starter with the new coils to make it work. I'll look at it today and follow Herb's and Snyder's instructions.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:20 PM   #8
Herb Concord Ca

A lot of folks say you can run a 6V starter on 12V. But I think its better to convert the starter to 12V if the car has been changed to 12V. You also might want to use the Barrel drive.
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:54 PM   #9
john in illinois

X2. If the starter drive hits the ring gear hard it can move the ring gear forword. I think this is a good reason to use a 12V starter with a 12V system.

John
Old 08-10-2019, 07:17 AM   #10
ken sungela

OK, well I reassembled the starter with the new coils and it works fine. Not sure whey the other guy couldn't get it started. Maybe one of the internal wires was shorting out on the case.
We got the car running fine now after rebuilding the carb. too. It is common practice to turn the gas valve off when not running the car? We left is on but the carb. started to leak fuel. Funny thing is all the instructions I've read say if the lever is pointed down, the gas is on, but with this car its the opposite.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:27 AM   #11
History

I believe you should always turn the gas off at the shut off valve if the car sits for any length of time. Stories of overnight, float valves sticking open and garage full of gas. Some folks have had both the shut off valve and float valve leak .
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:33 AM   #12
daveymc29

I know a good restorer of Model A's who lost the better part of his house to a leaking of gasoline because he forgot to shut the valve off and parked in his attached garage. Also had to re-restore his pickup. Horrible lesson.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote