Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-30-2017, 06:10 PM   #21
fordv8j

Default Re: 1942 Tudor no-start

Our 38 coupe starter locked in Auburn, we tried rocking it, didn't work, finally loosened the starter, it came loose
fordv8j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:20 PM   #22
KGS

Wayne,
Winter's coming so a little preventative maintenance is in order.
Pull the starter and remove any paint that may be on the face of the starter where it mates up with the bell housing. Do the same on the bell housing where the starter meets it; provides a good ground connection.

Clean up the Bendix unit and check it over for a broken spring or anything else that might be loose or broken. I've had the special bolts that attach the Bendix to the starter shaft break. I don't oil the Bendix at all. If you have a need to oil it, only use a very light coating of 3&1 oil. Anything more than that will only collect dust and grime and degrade the operation of the Bendix .

Reinstall the starter and be sure that the bolts are tight. If you don't have the starter support attachment that connects the front of the starter to an oil pan bolt, get one. Many times they are missing but it is necessary to keep the starter immobile and provides an additional ground.

If you need help with this, get some of the boys from shop class over there at GVHS (they still have shop class, don't they). I'm sure they'd be happy to help.
Ken
KGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-30-2017, 09:39 PM   #23
tubman

When checking a Bendix, my neighbor told me that you should check the spring, and if the "eyes" where the bolts that hold it to the shaft are in line, it's OK; if they are significantly out of line, the spring is probably ready to break and should be replaced. Anyone have any thoughts on this? (All Bendix problems I have had were broken springs)
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote