Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Early V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-27-2005, 08:35 AM   #1

Default Dipsticks and Crankcases

Changed the oil yesterday in my 8BA and the dipstick read "Full" after 3 qts. Since it's supposed to take 4 (no filter), I'm wondering if the dipstick may be too long. It measures 15.5 inches from the bottom to the underside of the flange and has the number 2D70 FF engraved at the top. Has me puzzled, so can someone out there confirm if this is the right dipstick? I checked the pan for dents and the dipstick tube appears to be in the right location.

Old 03-27-2005, 08:54 AM   #2

Default Re: Dipsticks and Crankcases

My '53 passenger car dipstick is the same measurement as yours. It is stamped "8BA" just above the word "full", but has no other markings I can see. Mine also reads full with about 3 qts, but I run a filter. I put in 3 qts, start it and let it run for about 5 minutes to fill the filter, then shut it off and let it sit for about 10 minutes and recheck. It always needs another qt. after this operation.

Old 03-27-2005, 09:02 AM   #3

Thanks Doby. I drove around for about ten minutes then let it sit for a while. Still read "Full" and without a filter it still puzzles me. I know there can be a little residual in the engine, but not a quart. Think I'll just keep a close eye on it.

Old 03-27-2005, 10:57 AM   #4

If you have correct dipstick for PAN the TUBE can be shorter ,giving incorrect reading.I would mark stick at 4 qt level as thats what is required .

Old 03-27-2005, 11:23 AM   #5

I have an 8BA style oil pan from a truck with the big clean out plate on bottom on my 286. I filled it with 5 quarts of oil, no oil filter. No dip stick. I've only run this engine in my shop for less than 1/2 hour. The other day I went up in my barn and gathered up my stash of about 7 dipsticks. I had at least 4 differant length sticks. I picked one that read full. I'm sure this does'nt help much but I'd want to put more than 3 quarts of oil in any flathead. Walt

Old 03-27-2005, 03:54 PM   #6

Thanks to all. Will add a qt. tomorrow and mark the dipstick accordingly.