Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-30-2010, 06:08 PM   #21
cradlescyth

Default Re: 1931 Roadster pickup

Hi
Does he llive in Mass???
cradlescyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:11 PM   #22
Ron in Quincy

Using AA well fenders was a trick we used years ago if you were going to install 35 Ford 16" wheels; they fit in the wells without deflating the tire.

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:39 PM   #23
26Tudor

Okay, Mitch, if I don't get to keep the car due to financial hardship, you're on the list....
Cradlescyth, he couldn't be farther away from MA if he tried....But that's all I am going to say, until I have it in my garage..

Last edited by 26Tudor; 07-30-2010 at 06:58 PM.
26Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:59 PM   #24
Model T Monte

Yep, It`s a cinch your gettin laid off. I`ll go ahead an take so you won`t have to struggle. Lets see, if you give 3500. I can give at least 3250. Monte
Model T Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:27 PM   #25
26Tudor

Monte, your generosity and open heart are truly heart warming. 8=)
If I DO get it, and have to sell it, I'm sure not gonna give it away....
If I have to sell it, that will be ONLY because I need every danged penny I can get my hands on.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:30 AM   #26
CWPASADENA

Thumbs up Re: 1931 Roadster pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26Tudor View Post
If I DO get it, and have to sell it, I'm sure not gonna give it away....
If I have to sell it, that will be ONLY because I need every danged penny I can get my hands on.
I do not blame you. When things are tough, you have to take care of your own needs and those of your family.

What you pay for something is irrelavent. If you do have to sell it, you should get Fair Market Price for it.

This will make a nice piece when finished and it looks like it is in very good condition to start with.

I hope it would go to someone who would do it justice and not to some one who will chop it up and put a "350-350-9 inch" in it. Those guys can buy a Brookville and have at it.

I really like the 30-31 Roadster P.Us and would like to see this one put back together.

Good luck with your "find" and I hope things work out for you.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:34 AM   #27
1931 flamingo

Vince, I don't think the previous poster meant the whole fender, just install the AA wells.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:35 PM   #28
26Tudor

He says he has the windshield stanchions he took off in 1963, He said the chrome isn't too good anymore, but they weren't pitted or anything, last time he actually unwrapped them and saw them (I guess, from what he said, about 12-15 years ago)
I expect to have the cash together Monday, and plan on borrowing a friend's truck and trailer, and heading over to his house and shop, cash in hand.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:55 PM   #29
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
Hey Pete,
See what I mean about good stuff at good prices still available to those who hunt?
Right in your backyard even!

Hell, I bet it even comes with a big box of NOS Ford hoses, fan belts, tire valve hardware etc. the guy collected for it in 1963! Look at that rad shell!

Note to self: Resist the urge to kick any dog turds found laying around the forum!
Old 08-01-2010, 09:09 AM   #30
RichardW

I am no expert but can someone tell me what is going on with the outside door handles?

Never mind, I am used to seeing closed pickups where the handle is higher.

Last edited by RichardW; 08-01-2010 at 12:35 PM.
RichardW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:09 AM   #31
Roadster62

Give us a hint, thay are on the OUTSIDE, now what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
i am no expert but can someone tell me what is going on with the outside door handles?
Roadster62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:22 AM   #32
Mitch

My understanding is that the original stanchions were not chrome, but painted. Of course I'm no expert.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:32 AM   #33
Purdy Swoft

The radiator shell looks great but is for a AA truck and won't work with a passenger car or pickup radiator. The AA radiators were thicker and the radiator shells didn't have the widows peak. The shell pictured doesn't have the widows peak and has the stainless emblem as used with AA trucks.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:26 PM   #34
26Tudor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
The radiator shell looks great but is for a AA truck and won't work with a passenger car or pickup radiator. The AA radiators were thicker and the radiator shells didn't have the widows peak. The shell pictured doesn't have the widows peak and has the stainless emblem as used with AA trucks.
True that, sir, but he has quite a few of the passenger car radiator shells, and I am going to be able to not only keep the AA shell, but "cherry pick" the best of the Passenger Car shells he has amassed over the years. There is one on the trailer with the body that looked 99.9% perfect to me, but he said he has a better one than that, he just has to dig it out of storage.
I'm going to give him the $$ tomorrow, but won't be able to transport the car until next weekend. I'll know more then...
Here's one of the original photos Iposted, showing the Passenger Car radiator shell
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0002.jpg (63.3 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by 26Tudor; 08-01-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:06 PM   #35
jimnungesser

Send a message via AIM to jimnungesser

yes, it is worth $4,000. You need to determine if it has a wide bed, top bows and windshield, because these can be costly.

Jim , 31 SW FORDOOR
jimnungesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #36
26Tudor

I know the top bows are there, they are inside the body now, you can see parts of them in some of the photographs on this thread. The windshield frame and stanchions are there. The Wide Bed part, I'm not sure, there seems to be some confusion about the bed on it on this forum right now... it's what the guy bought in 1965, that much I DO know.

Last edited by 26Tudor; 08-03-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:07 PM   #37
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26Tudor View Post
I know the top bows are there, they are inside the body now, you can see parts of them in some of the photographs on this thread. The windshield frame and stanchions are there. The Wide Bed part, I'm not sure, there seems to be some confusion about the bed on it on this forum right now... it's what the guy bought in 1963, that much I DO know.
You definitely have a narrow bed. Go to the illustrations of the tailgates in some of the vendor catalogs and look at the lower corners of the tailgate. Yours are rounded like the narrow bed not square like the wide bed. There is an illustration at https://www.mackhils.com/mack_produc...?CategoryNo=20
but it is not very clear (if you click on the illustration it will blow it up so you can see what I mean). This is a good supplier for truck unique parts. The wide bed probably carried more cargo but I prefer the look of the narrow bed. There is also more detail (raised belt areas) on the side of the narrow bed which makes it look better. One other thing to watch for is the windshield wiper. It was used on '30-'31 open cab trucks and '32 open cars. The correct windshield wiper is an expensive part.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:29 PM   #38
26Tudor

Charlie, thanks for the info.
I talked with the owner tonite (a few minutes ago, actually) and he did state that the truck is, indeed, a "narrow bed" truck, and he has the correct fenders, as they are wider than the "wide bed" rear fenders.
I'm going over tomorrow to pay the guy, and I'll check the windshield wiper while I'm there

Last edited by 26Tudor; 08-03-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:05 AM   #39
rollingsculpture

what a great find , good job ! let me know if you want to sell the AA shell i could use it for my project.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:58 PM   #40
26Tudor

It's mine 8=)

I have until the end of the month to pick through what I want for the truck, he has offered another passenger's side non-welled fender to go along with it, along with a no-hole splash apron. he has the block that came out of the car in 1963, and the chassis # corresponds with the # on the title.
He took EVERYTHING apart, including the rear end, and there is boxes of parts, new king pins, bearings, etc etc. After I am done, his son is going to come up and get the rest, including the 28-29 RPU body and chassis, and all the rest of the stuff.
The windshield stanchions are/were chrome, but have a little rust on them, but nothing a re-chome wouldn't make beautiful again. I m also getting the commercial painted headlights, and a set of passenger car ones as well.
The speedo is a Stewart-Warner, that he says he had rebuilt back in the 70's sometime.
Everything is NOT "tagged and bagged" as I was told it was... there are 5 gallon buckets of bolts and nuts and washers.
I now am the proud owner of a giant jigsaw puzzle 8=)
Oh, and the windshield frame is no peach, has some rust/separation on the bottom channel, and the chrome is shot, but I think it's fixable, and although I didn't actually see it, he says he has both an electric and a vacuum wiper assembly for it...

Last edited by 26Tudor; 08-02-2010 at 02:13 PM.