Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-31-2019, 11:15 PM   #1
1MercMan78

Default 1950 Mercury new member

Got an email from a friend that mentioned this site, told me to sign up and do an introduction. Been looking for this car for quite a few years before I came across this is Miami. Original paint 1 owner garage kept. Previous mechanic had redone a ton of work. Brand new rack and pinion, new wheel cylinders and brakes, new leaf springs and shocks, rebuilt trans, new fuel pump, etc. I've never worked on a flathead before I'm excited to start my restoration
1MercMan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:23 PM   #2
1MercMan78

Default Re: 1950 Mercury new member

A few pictures out of the album I made on my profile here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg merc15.jpg (61.0 KB, 524 views)
File Type: jpg merc16.jpg (84.2 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg merc21.jpg (38.6 KB, 152 views)
Old 08-31-2019, 11:33 PM   #3
mercman from oz

One Mercman to another Mercman, congratulations. Nice start and welcome to Ford Barn. These 49-51 Mercury Sport Sedans are great looking cars.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:12 AM   #4
WABOOM

Welcome! I like the sedans. That car is awesome. Here's another pic of mine.
WABOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 03:24 AM   #5
tubman

Just one point of clarification. You mentioned a "new rack and pinion" in your original post. It doesn't look like the kind of car someone would have put a replacement steering gear in. Does it actually have a rack and pinion steering gear or perhaps just a new or rebuilt steering box?
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 03:30 AM   #6
51 MERC-CT

Yes, it would be interesting to know if it is truly "rack and pinion" equipped.

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 09-01-2019 at 03:35 AM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 03:54 AM   #7
mercman from oz

Regret - I owned this fully imported right hand drive 1951 Mercury Sport Sedan in the Eighties and I sold it. It was supposedly one of six imported by Ford Australia for their managers. I have regretted this decision ever since. Wish that I still had it.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:17 AM   #8
1MercMan78

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Just one point of clarification. You mentioned a "new rack and pinion" in your original post. It doesn't look like the kind of car someone would have put a replacement steering gear in. Does it actually have a rack and pinion steering gear or perhaps just a new or rebuilt steering box?

I actually haven't even checked that out yet. The car has been in Florida at my buddys shop and I fly down from Texas on my free weekends to work on it. I was looking at an email from the guy I bought it from and he said new rack and pinion but perhaps he meant a new gearbox. All I have done so far is flush the engine out, changed rear diff seal, changed all fluids (except trans thats brand new oil), new belts, dropped gas tank to flush out, rebuilt carb, rebuilt master cyl, and then we took it for a short drive 2 weeks ago. When I fly down it's only on my weekends off so I can give like one full 12 hour days worth of stuff done then I fly back to Texas. I just want it drive-able and safe when I get it home. I don't have access to all the tools and a lift here that's why it is still in Florida.

After the owner died it sat in a climate controlled shop in Miami for at least 12 years before they decided to sell it. It is in incredible condition. On my last trip we pulled both water pumps to rebuild and a pulley broke in the press. While I was waiting on replacement he sent radiator off to get redone and the guy said it was beyond replacement. So now I have to wait another week until I can go back and put those and a new aftermarket radiator back in and then I am shipping it back to Texas. It still has the original overhaul manual. Pretty cool technology for 70 years old. Its been a very exciting learning process so far. Except when it comes to replacement parts....

Last edited by 1MercMan78; 09-01-2019 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:37 AM   #9
LuckyFordGuy

Welcome to the barn I love your car this is a nice site Rog
LuckyFordGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:11 AM   #10
rotorwrench

The steering gears like to eat worm gears on the old Mercs but a good seal & bushing in the bottom of the box makes then last a lot longer. The Mercury steering gears had a heavy duty sector gear shaft and used a truck sized bushing in the bottom. I'm more of a 51 fan but a lot of stuff interchanges between the 50 & 51 cars. JAMCO makes a pretty nice radiator for the 50/51 Mercs and it can be recored easily if ever necessary. I've had a few originals recored over the years but it's a lot harder to find a real radiator repair shop these days.

The Mercs like to rust too so it's good it was stored well. A lot more stuff is available now days than there ever was back in the 60s & 70s when I drove my hand me down car a lot.

Welcome on the barn.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 05:26 PM   #11
Royal Ryser

Beautiful car. Their styling was outstanding.
Royal Ryser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 05:35 PM   #12
19Fordy

Very nice indeed. Bet that front grill guard was an expensive accessory. Save it.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 06:00 PM   #13
WABOOM

It has the rear one too!
WABOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 06:09 PM   #14
rotorwrench

Those protector bar sets were likely an aftermarket accessory but I don't have all the info for the 1950 models. The 51s just had the single cross bar in the front according to the accessory manual. Outside mirrors were accessories as well and Dealers kept them in stock so there were two distinct styles depending on dealer inventories. The sun shade might be an accessory. It looks a lot like the Dietrich types that were available for the 51 cars.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:12 PM   #15
1MercMan78

that bar was one of the first things i took off. it hides the front grill that is the best part of the car. at it completely hides the trunk. i figured it was some kind of a chrome package they ordered with the car. it has like 2 brackets that go right to the frame and then it used the outside bumper mounts as well. i had never seen that before on an old merc and absolutely will not be going back on. i saved them because i wasn't sure if one day someone might want them. i personally think they take away from the natural aesthetics of the car
Old 09-02-2019, 12:03 AM   #16
mercman from oz

I know the subject car is a 1950 Mercury, but how many Mercury people know about this rare Accessory Splash Pan Trim? This car has been in Australia since new and is factory Right Hand Drive. This photo was taken back in 2006 when the car was for sale at a local swap meet. Was the same trim available for the 1950 Mercurys? How common is it?
Old 09-02-2019, 12:59 AM   #17
1MercMan78

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman from oz View Post

I know the subject car is a 1950 Mercury, but how many Mercury people know about this rare Accessory Splash Pan Trim? This car has been in Australia since new and is factory Right Hand Drive. This photo was taken back in 2006 when the car was for sale at a local swap meet. Was the same trim available for the 1950 Mercurys? How common is it?

i've never seen that before that looks awesome
Old 09-02-2019, 02:11 PM   #18
rotorwrench

That may be a Canadian thing but it also might be aftermarket. It's not something I've seen on any US produced models or maybe I just couldn't see it. Customizers favor the 49/50 mouth sheet metal over the 51 and they love the DeSoto grill teeth. I've seen 51 cars changed over to shave & french the front end. Same with the rear window for folks that chop the top.
Old 09-02-2019, 05:02 PM   #19
mercman from oz

Here is a Factory Photo of a 1949 Mercury Sport Sedan that has this Accessory Stone Tray Trim. I was good friends with the late Fred Steele of Massachusetts, and he told me that it was very rare and was available on USA 1949 Mercurys. I believe that it is shown in the Mercury Parts List. If someone has this Manual, can you please Post a picture of the page that has this item shown.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:30 PM   #20
51 MERC-CT

These are two '49 Merc. sport sedans that I had (circa, fall 1957)
The one that I was customizing had the stainless accessory panel under the grille and the other one did not.
Needless to say the panel was scrapped.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1a 49 mercs.jpg (107.4 KB, 221 views)