Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #21
QGolden

Default Re: Gonna drive every day

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=230712981905

Ths one looks like it would fit.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #22
kingbee

Send a message via AIM to kingbee

I played around with this problem for a while. I tried a manifold heater, but just couldn't get enough air to flow through it to warm the car. I then looked at restored water heaters, and mocked up a cardboard box of the heater sizes posted in ads, but there just wasn't a decent place to put it in an A.

Then I purchased unit made by Vintage Air that I thought I could mount high up on the inside of the firewall, but that didn't work because the A/C evaporator was in the way.

I ended up mounting it under the seat, air blowing forward. I had to cut an opening in the seat riser for a heat outlet, but it isn't seen. Once I got water flow issues worked out, and a thermostat on the engine, the heat output is tremendous. Exactly perfect for my needs.

I also knew that using inside air in really cold weather would fog up the windows from the occupants breath, no matter how warm it is inside. SO, I left the manifold heater in place to bring in just enough dry outside air to eliminate that problem.

I noticed that there were cold drafts all over (Town Sedan) I fully weatherstripped the 4 doors, sealed real good around the pedals & steering column and the lower cowl areas that are open to the engine compartment. WOW, snug as a bug in a rug!

Last edited by kingbee; 09-27-2013 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Spelling
kingbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:18 PM   #23
kingbee

Send a message via AIM to kingbee

One other note, it's a 12 volt unit. Knowing what I know now, I would convert to 12v in order to have this.
Adequate heat makes driving an A in cold weather an entirely different experience.....
kingbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:49 AM   #24
QGolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbee View Post
One other note, it's a 12 volt unit. Knowing what I know now, I would convert to 12v in order to have this.
Adequate heat makes driving an A in cold weather an entirely different experience.....
So technically you could say that you have heated seats!

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:21 PM   #25
Don Cape Cod

I have a new H/W heater, the 7" X 7" and the water pipe with pickup to force HW to the heater. Having a fit trying to figure best way to mount & plumb this guy given gas valve and choke rod. Help??
Don Cape Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 02:00 AM   #26
burner31

I have found that a few of these can keep you warm, some can be quite expensive though...and loud too, but hey, at least you're warm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nqsg3d.jpg (9.7 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 8q7USps.jpg (31.6 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 34a8f31a855eed0fc7d0b2dd27ce0e99--vintage-cars-vintage-stuff.jpg (10.8 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg ef106c00eb65bbf7ff6e117b97b5e0c6.jpg (46.9 KB, 81 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:13 AM   #27
jhowes

Rusty Homestead, That's a nice heater for Fla. My question is how to hook the heater output to the feedthrough in the firewall. The ones that I have seen just leave the space between the manifold heater and the firewall. Some heat must be lost between the two which is some cases looks like a gap of 3/8" or so . Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:54 AM   #28
Railcarmover
BANNED

If your handy and concerned about size try a power steering cooler.use a flapper and a duct to operate it with forced air or rig a computer cooling fan..
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:04 AM   #29
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
I have found that a few of these can keep you warm, some can be quite expensive though...and loud too, but hey, at least you're warm.
x2
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:05 PM   #30
Badpuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
Yeah, there's no way to fix the constant rattle, and they drain your wallet fast.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:56 PM   #31
nick c

I like railcar's oil cooler idea, I would come off the engine water outlet with 3/8" steel brake line and go just above manifold then under cab, fasten 3/8" ball valve under floor board with the handle inside the floor board then a steel return line to water inlet side of engine, unit will set under seat.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 07:33 PM   #32
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

Not sure but if I kept a couple of those around my wife just might generate a lot of heat, plus she would have my guts for garters
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote