Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
CA Victoria

Default Parkerizing

I'm about to jump into a new endevour to parkerize a bucket of bolts that I have cleaned. There is a lot of information on the gun forums regarding parkerizing, looks like there are a couple of different parkerizing methods.

Any words of wisedom or experience with the hot or cold methods?

Last edited by CA Victoria; 01-24-2013 at 11:54 PM.
CA Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
lindy williams

Default Re: Parkerizing

I have only used the hot method. I thought it worked well but the parts must be really clean of rust, oil, etc. The finish is a medium gray color, not black.
lindy williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
CA Victoria

There are two different effects, Matte Black and a Gray finish. The most accepted method is the "hot" process, which I will try.
I have purchased the Black Manganese solution and will give it a go, will post a few pictures in my album as the adventure progresses.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
butch

hi i think that you are the person that sent me the print of the vicky rear bumper, bracket, the print was very small, and i could not see the numbers, if you would send me the pitcure of the bracket and the number of the hole ect, i will send you $10.00 when i get them. let me know if you are the person that sent pitcure to me adress is orville butcher 3135 mott jackson michigan 49203 email [email protected] thanks
butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
wrndln

I have used the manganese phosphate parkerizing prossess a few times. The items need to be beadblasted to remove all the rust, grease and foreign material from them. The instructions say to parkerize them within a few hours after blasting them. I don't think it is quite as critical as the instructions state, but the sooner the better I would think. You have to heat the water/manganese phosphate solution to at least 190 degrees before putting the items in the solution. It takes about 10 minutes to parkerize. You then need to spray WD 40 on the parts to remove the solution from the parts. I have not had the stuff I did parkerized very long, so I don't now how well it hold up before rusting. The items come out with a matt black finish. I bought the quart of manganese phosphate on eBay for about 35 or $40 plus shipping. The fellow I bought it from is Vernon Owens. It will do quite a few parts.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote