Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-08-2018, 12:23 PM   #1
victorsee

Default Abrupt stop in reverse gear

A 'new' (to me) problem has emerged on my 28 Model A Tudor. I tried rolling the car out of the garage... it rolled about 2 feet and abruptly stopped; felt like a 'stick in the spokes'; I started the car and it moves forward in 1st gear; Put it in reverse and let out clutch gently and moves about 2' and jams/stops.
Turned off the engine; jacked up the rear end, and I could hand spin either/both rear wheels freely; left it jacked up, started engine, put car in 1st then second gear... wheels turned freely; put car in reverse, and wheels spin freely. Lowered rear off jack to ground, started engine, put in reverse and car abruptly stops after a 2' distance. OK, Could it be front wheels? doesn't feel like front; Jacked up front end, and both wheels spin easily forward and reverse.
Thought; suggestions; help?
Victor C
victorsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:30 PM   #2
Keith True

Default Re: Abrupt stop in reverse gear

Does the car have an overdrive installed?
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:00 PM   #3
JohnTee

Saw a similar problem several years ago. Opening the rear end revealed several teeth broken off the pinion and several damaged teeth on the ring gear. Further investigation revealed that although the pinion preload nut and its corresponding jam nut were locked together by the "winged washer" they had not been properly torqued together to lock them to the threads of the pinion and were moving as a unit allowing the pinion to move in relation to its mesh with the ring gear until its mechanical limits were exceeded.
JohnTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:01 PM   #4
victorsee

Thanks for the response. No. No overdrive.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:07 PM   #5
victorsee

RE: broken teeth on ring gear.. this happened suddenly; the car has been driven regularly.. as late as yesterday without incident.. including in reverse. I parked in garage.. last night and found the sudden stop in reverse..taking it out of garage this am. No strange or different noises when usoing it yesterday. Would the have been a whine or grind sound?
Old 08-08-2018, 03:43 PM   #6
MALAK

I'm thinking it [might] be something with the e-brake. I know that my car will lurch to a stop when just rolling the car backwards, when applying the e-brake. But it won't do that going forward. I think it's the construction of the e-brake that it self energizes in the reverse direction.
Something else to check. Hopefully you find it. When you figure it out be sure to post it so we-all know.
MALAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:17 PM   #7
Terry, NJ

I had a similar situation with my coupe only it was the pinion bearings. The bearing cages had disintegrated and the rollers were loose in the bottom of the banjo and now and then one would jump between the gears. I was driving 5mph and it almost put me through the windshield. I the embarked on one the most complex jobs one can do to an A. I put new rear gears in it! 3.54s to be exact and now I love it! Next time I try this, I will use 3.27s However, I have a set of 3.78s (Not the old, ruined ones) which I will sell for a reasonable price.
It's a lot of ball busting work and you can't do it overnight, but well worth the time and effort. Good Luck!
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTee View Post
Saw a similar problem several years ago. Opening the rear end revealed several teeth broken off the pinion and several damaged teeth on the ring gear. Further investigation revealed that although the pinion preload nut and its corresponding jam nut were locked together by the "winged washer" they had not been properly torqued together to lock them to the threads of the pinion and were moving as a unit allowing the pinion to move in relation to its mesh with the ring gear until its mechanical limits were exceeded.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:30 PM   #8
wmws
BANNED

When you have it jacked up will both rear wheels turn backwards at the same time.
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:13 PM   #9
Gary WA

I had same problem broken pinion teeth. I took magnet fished it in drain plug hole and brought out teeth.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:42 PM   #10
gustafson
BANNED

problem will be found in the diff, rest assured
gustafson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:03 AM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

My 29 Tudor did the same thing when I bought the car.
Found one parking brake lining held to the band by 1 rivet.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:38 AM   #12
victorsee

Thanks all for the suggestions; my first direction will be the rear brake /parking brake assembly.. its easier; if brakes check out, then pursuit of the rear end broken tooth or more. I cant recall if both rear wheels went turned together in reverse, i think they did. Is question related to broken teeth in pinion?
If rear end, I can't get to that until late September..

I will get back when its resolved with and update; In the meantime, thank you to all.. and happy driving!
Old 08-09-2018, 06:50 AM   #13
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
problem will be found in the diff, rest assured
I agree - drain the oil from the deeferenchul and look for hard, shiny bits.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:59 AM   #14
Hoop

Check the pins with their cotter pins that hold the brake assembly together and make sure they are not installed backwards.

Definitely will snag, engage the brake and make you think you backed into a brick wall.

(Of course, if you want to remove and disassemble the rear end first .... )
Old 08-09-2018, 08:33 AM   #15
JohnTee

You have a wise plan of action - check out the easy things first! For the benefit of everyone, please keep us posted on what you find. Have a great day.
JohnTee is offline   Reply With Quote