Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-21-2020, 10:47 PM   #1
alumcantandthd

Default '32 Rear hood latch location

Hi, could someone please give the the measurements, from the top 'inside' frame lip, out to the center of the two holes where the rear hood latch bolts through the fender?
I am making brackets to bolt into existing OEM frame holes, to be able to bolt the rear hood latches to, and could use a precise measurement from the frame lip out to the center of the holes, on both left and right side, please?
Thanks! [email protected]
alumcantandthd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:49 AM   #2
Pat/Ohio

Default Re: '32 Rear hood latch location

Hello, Attached are a couple of pictures of my right rear hood latch. Hopefully this will help you some. Good luck, Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32 hood latch a.jpg (49.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 32 hood latch b.jpg (35.6 KB, 53 views)
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:34 AM   #3
alumcantandthd

Thank you! 'If' I'm reading your 'siphern' right. 'Both' of the right (passenger) rear latch mounting bolts are 3 1/2" from the inside edge of the frame, correct?
Is the left (driver's) side the same measurement, or is it a little different?
Thank you again for the pictures!
Old 10-22-2020, 10:57 AM   #4
Pat/Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by alumcantandthd View Post
Thank you! 'If' I'm reading your 'siphern' right. 'Both' of the right (passenger) rear latch mounting bolts are 3 1/2" from the inside edge of the frame, correct?
Is the left (driver's) side the same measurement, or is it a little different?
Thank you again for the pictures!
The bracket will attach parallel to the frame, so the holes appear that the front hole is closer to the frame, but I believe they are the same distance from the frame rail. Left side should be the same. You probably don't have a front fender to measure the bracket from? Are you totally confused now! I will check again. LOL!

Okay! The confusion (to me) was because the frame rails are "pinched" in this area of the frame giving the illusion that one hole is closer to the frame rail than the other. Not so! The bracket holes should be drilled the same distance from the frame. I take it you are building without fenders...Hiboy?

Pat

Last edited by Pat/Ohio; 10-22-2020 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:19 AM   #5
DavidG

Pat,

They are not parallel to the frame, but rather parallel to the hood side panel which at the cowl end is outboard of the frame and at the front end it is on top of the frame. Your second photo reflects that.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 12:27 PM   #6
Pat/Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Pat,

They are not parallel to the frame, but rather parallel to the hood side panel which at the cowl end is outboard of the frame and at the front end it is on top of the frame. Your second photo reflects that.

Thanks David, You could tell I was struggling with that in my description!
Old 10-22-2020, 02:26 PM   #7
DavidG

Pat,

You're welcome! I hope that you and your family are doing well in these extraordinary times.
Old 10-22-2020, 02:35 PM   #8
Pat/Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Pat,

You're welcome! I hope that you and your family are doing well in these extraordinary times.
Thank you David...Yes, we are doing fine! Be ready to head back to Florida in December. Hope all is well with you & yours!

Regards,
Pat
Old 10-22-2020, 08:23 PM   #9
alumcantandthd

Okay! The confusion (to me) was because the frame rails are "pinched" in this area of the frame giving the illusion that one hole is closer to the frame rail than the other. Not so! The bracket holes should be drilled the same distance from the frame. I take it you are building without fenders...Hiboy?

Pat[/QUOTE]

Yes! A "VERY" traditional Hiboy! I am using a 99% original frame, gas tank, suspension, axles, 'bones' trans, 'hind' end, steering wheel, column, drop, dash, '52 SW tach and column mount, and only 3 body parts. (can't afford any more) > Re-pop, houldiallies (however you spell it) ductal front motor mounts, Hudson steering box and adjustable drag link, and a few other doo-dads and gee-haws that are 'original' re-productions.
I see where most of the Hiboys (traditional, and Hiboys that are 2" off the ground,,,,,,. How can a vehicle be called "Hi-boy" and have less than a pack of Camels or Luckys ground clearance!?) that have complete hoods, have a little 1/8th" thick 'tab' welded to the frame. >
I do NOT want to weld 'anything' to the frame, and only drill any extra holes if I absoultely 'have to'! >
I have made several parts out of stainless, and polished them, for 'old timey' bling. I am making a couple of stainless brackets that will incoperate OEM frame holes for the back hood latch brackets. >
The left, driver's, side is easy! Just come off the little triangle reinforcement 'washer' that bolts on the outside of the frame where the Hudson box bolts through, that I made out of stainless, with a 'tab.' Either weld the latch bracket 'tab' to the triangle piece, or make the hood latch mounting 'tab' and the steering box triangle piece all one piece,,,,.
The right, passenger, side the center of the 'tab' (23" back from the center of the front latch, (or center of front mounting holes to rear mounting holes) in the frame, is right smack dab in the middle of three OEM frame holes. 1/4", 5/16" and 11/16" and just under 4" spacing between them. >
I have made a couple of bracket styles outta sheet metal and cardboard. But I don't like looks of either one.
Oh well, I'll come up with something,,,,,,.
So you see it is very pertinent that I get the percise measurement of the rear mounting holes, 'outward' from the frame. Once the hood goes on, it's not coming back off! Meaning. It's gotta be correct the first time around!
Ok, 'update'. Guy in the next town down from me has a all (100%) original, (early '50's hot rod) full fendered 5-W body, on an aftermarket chassis suspension, steering. The left, driver's side, rear latch mounting hole center measurement is 3" out from the inside frame lip!
Question. Is the aftermarket (I forget the name of his chassis. It's one of the better brands. Big $$) throwing the driver's side off? Or! Is the driver's side a different measurement than the passenger side!?
As they say, "Inquiring Minds Want To Know"
Thanks again for the info!
Old 10-22-2020, 09:09 PM   #10
DavidG

The two sides are mirror images of one another; there's no dimensional difference.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:19 PM   #11
Pat/Ohio

Are you planning to use the original style hood latches? I have seen some folks use the "jeep" style hood latches on their '32 Hiboys. The rear latch was bent at the bottom of the latch at 90 degrees to attach to the frame rail.

If you use the original style latch, I don't see how you would attach it without some kind of homemade bracket ( I have seen some of those also). It sounds like you know what you want it to look like...and I believe you will eventually come up with something you like.

Have you asked over on the H.A.M.B. what they have used for that rear bracket on a '32 Hiboy? I bet they can show you several examples.

I found a few examples on the web: I believe most of them are using the "jeep" style reproduction latches.

Good luck!
Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hiboy rear hood latch.jpg (6.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Hiboy rear hood latch a.jpg (9.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Hiboy rear hood latch b.jpg (7.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Hiboy rear hood latch c.jpg (51.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Hiboy rear hood latch d.jpg (72.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Hiboy rear hood latch e.jpg (64.9 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Pat/Ohio; 10-22-2020 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:54 PM   #12
Pat/Ohio

You might look at this "vertical" style hood latch. It is available in black or chrome (S.S.?). You can also purchase aluminum mounting pads that will extend the latch out from the frame rail a little. Those are available at So-Cal.

https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Tri...re/PLR184.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hood_latch_spacer.jpg (54.0 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Pat/Ohio; 10-22-2020 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:24 AM   #13
alumcantandthd

,,,,,, good question. Re-popp original style, or re-popp 'Jeep' style?
What is ordered, was a 'complete' '32 hood hardware kit, all in polished stainless. The 4 latches look like the 'Jeep' latches.
The 'risers' above, I made out of stainless, just in case 'if' I would be needing them.
The 'homemade' polished stainless brackets in my description was what I described I was making for the latches to mount to. The driver's side will be an easy bracket to make and mount, while the passenger side will be more difficult.
My concern was, where to drill the two 1/4" holes in my 'homemade' stainless brackets to mount the latches to. Too far out, will 'pull' the hood away from the body line. Too far in, won't be able to latch the hood properly.
Thanks
Yes, I will go over on the HAMB site and see what 'their' measurements are.
Thanks again.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:06 AM   #14
glennpm

I just measured 3-5/16" for the front and 3-7/16" for the rear, inside top innermost frame rail top to center-line of bracket holes. I have a stock frame and fenders.

Glenn
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:07 AM   #15
alumcantandthd

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennpm View Post
I just measured 3-5/16" for the front and 3-7/16" for the rear, inside top innermost frame rail top to center-line of bracket holes. I have a stock frame and fenders.

Glenn
Thank you! Now one more question, please! Is that 3 and 5/16" front hole and 3 and 7/16" rear hole measurement the same on both sides of your car?

Thanks again for your time!
Old 10-25-2020, 06:27 AM   #16
glennpm

Just measured the other side (right side) and got 3-1/4" for front CL and the same 3-7/16" for the back.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:25 PM   #17
alumcantandthd

Mr. Glenn! Thank you for your precise information! It really helped.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:49 PM   #18
glennpm

Good!