Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-29-2017, 04:30 PM   #1
Ian1932

Default Paint formulas ??

I found this sheet(s) does anyone know if i can take this to get paint mixed. The colors i want o use "they" cant find the color. I normally get paint from napa auto parts. Im looking for a base coat clear coat system. I normally have a paint code from a more modern car...this is a little different than what im used too...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4683.jpg (65.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4684.jpg (57.2 KB, 23 views)
Ian1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:34 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Paint formulas ??

Doubt older codes will be of much value.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:52 PM   #3
jehagado

PPG and dupont have solid color books and card decks with all the shades.
You need to color match an original paint part to the color book, old codes are useless.
jehagado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:13 PM   #4
Tony, NY

You can try calling the PPG tech line (I did for Washington Blue) and see what late model color is the same. I was given a color off of an 1987 Isuzu Trooper.
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:29 PM   #5
Henry Hopper

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...936&manuf=Ford

Try this page...they list the colours and the codes.

My brother just had his 55 Chevy repainted the factory colour...he took a piece of trim with the original paint still on it and the paint supplier used their scanning machine and matched it perfectly.Could be worth asking if they could do likewise at your suppliers.
Henry Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:31 PM   #6
deuce_roadster

The tinting bases that are displayed on your sheets have no doubt been changed and they will be of little use.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:32 PM   #7
Ian1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony, NY View Post
You can try calling the PPG tech line (I did for Washington Blue) and see what late model color is the same. I was given a color off of an 1987 Isuzu Trooper.
I just talked to PPG. They said i can get acrylic lacquer or single stage urethane. I guess the urethane would be pretty good? I actually havent used a single stage urethane before but i have sprayed about everything else. The tech made it sound like the greatest thing ever...I guess thats what ill get...PPG dist. about 20 mins from home...Thanks!
Old 11-29-2017, 05:35 PM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

That's interesting, your color codes must not have been that old!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:39 PM   #9
Ian1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
That's interesting, your color codes must not have been that old!
winter leaf brown PPG code #986. They looked it up and found it. They did say they didnt have a formula for base / clear.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:54 PM   #10
mrtexas

I get my paint from here for $125/gallon vs $500 per gallon for name brand single stage paint. They can match. Of course any local paint store can match as well. For around $60 you can get a quart and spray it out to see if you like it. I painted 4 cars so far with it. Their paint is likely Valspar just not PPG or Dupont. You will need around 2 gallons so the savings is substantial.

http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/

Last edited by mrtexas; 11-29-2017 at 06:08 PM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:55 PM   #11
rotorwrench

If its a Ditzler/PPG color code then they can get a close match. It boils down to how good the local paint supplier is to matching. I've know guys that can look at a color and know exactly how much of what to make a match. Old car parts fade too so some matches could be off a bit depending on the sample quality. Computer scan matches can be as much as a shade off due to the way the scanner reads the light brightness. It's not as good as the human eye is.

If they still have a single stage urethane like Concept, you would be likely happy with the results if you have experience spraying with a gun. The stuff is very much like the old Deltron Acrylic urethane and it is very forgiving in application. It has a shine like wet paint after it cures. I like that stuff but I've heard rumors that they are fixing to drop it. If it's something else, I couldn't tell you much about it. Take precautions with any urethane product, ie good respirator. The stuff can give you a chemical induced form of pneumonia that is hard to shake. God forbid if a person is allergic to it. I don't like breathing paint anyway and most folks share the sentiment.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:34 PM   #12
vulture

Dither paint code info book for the 1928 -1936 I also have the later 1937 to 48. It has the color chips and paint codes so let me know how I can help with color or code
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (71.8 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by vulture; 11-29-2017 at 06:39 PM.
vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:44 PM   #13
vulture

Sorry don't know how to post more then one pic and this is 28-36 colors
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (56.4 KB, 17 views)
Old 11-29-2017, 06:44 PM   #14
vulture

Codes for one quart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (64.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 11-29-2017, 06:55 PM   #15
Ian1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post
Codes for one quart
I guess i can get the color from PPG in acrylic lacquer or single stage urethane.

What i really want is to use martin senior base coat & clear coat ACME Finish1 FC740. Im my mind this is the most forgiving system i have ever used! This system works so well in less than favorable conditions like, high or low humidity, or very cold or very hot. Thats what i really would like to get, but, it sounds like i just cant get it unless the guys just eyeball it or pick a swatch thats close...
Old 11-29-2017, 07:09 PM   #16
vulture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian1932 View Post
I guess i can get the color from PPG in acrylic lacquer or single stage urethane.

What i really want is to use martin senior base coat & clear coat ACME Finish1 FC740. Im my mind this is the most forgiving system i have ever used! This system works so well in less than favorable conditions like, high or low humidity, or very cold or very hot. Thats what i really would like to get, but, it sounds like i just cant get it unless the guys just eyeball it or pick a swatch thats close...

I am unsure if I have a old old Martin catalog most of my stuff is OLD shit. I am sure they can scan a chip with the gun and get you a new formula . I am sure it can't be for paint match but a full coat it would be darn close..
Old 11-29-2017, 08:13 PM   #17
Tony, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
If its a Ditzler/PPG color code then they can get a close match. It boils down to how good the local paint supplier is to matching. I've know guys that can look at a color and know exactly how much of what to make a match. Old car parts fade too so some matches could be off a bit depending on the sample quality. Computer scan matches can be as much as a shade off due to the way the scanner reads the light brightness. It's not as good as the human eye is.

If they still have a single stage urethane like Concept, you would be likely happy with the results if you have experience spraying with a gun. The stuff is very much like the old Deltron Acrylic urethane and it is very forgiving in application. It has a shine like wet paint after it cures. I like that stuff but I've heard rumors that they are fixing to drop it. If it's something else, I couldn't tell you much about it. Take precautions with any urethane product, ie good respirator. The stuff can give you a chemical induced form of pneumonia that is hard to shake. God forbid if a person is allergic to it. I don't like breathing paint anyway and most folks share the sentiment.
I know they're dropping the acrylic enamel. Doubt the single stage urethane would be dropped. But who knows?
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:13 AM   #18
Capn John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hopper View Post
http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...936&manuf=Ford

Try this page...they list the colours and the codes.

My brother just had his 55 Chevy repainted the factory colour...he took a piece of trim with the original paint still on it and the paint supplier used their scanning machine and matched it perfectly.Could be worth asking if they could do likewise at your suppliers.

Great site!!!
+1
Capn John is offline   Reply With Quote