Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-25-2017, 07:35 PM   #1
rbullockv8

Default 1932 Serial Number List needed

Went to California DMV today to verify the VIN/Serial Number on my '32 Roadster PU. Hasn't been registered since 1975, and is still in my deceased dad's name. So I need to do a title transfer and then register.

Unfortunately, the original pink slip Dad received states it is a 1939 model, first sold in 1932. I know...that's kind of impossible. They agreed and were nice, but would like me to find proof that it is a 1932 before the mod the pink slip.

After searching the forum, I'm still not coming up with any kind of list that shows Serial numbers in a chart form that I can print out and show them my '32 was indeed manufactured in '32. http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/ABenginenumbers.htm#C1 has it, but the website is a colored background and overall refuses to print for me. Plus, it's really long.
Followed another FB suggested link, but it only shows Model 18 (V-8s), no 4-cyls.

I have a copy of the 1932 Ford Judging & Restoration Standards book by David Rehor. On page 1 it shows what I think I need. But was wondering if there is anything online that I can print out with a page header/footer date. The more info the next time I go in, the better.

I also have an official appraisal, from a few years back by a certified appraiser, but they didn't think that would do it.

VIN/Serial Number is B5144xxx. Clearly visible on both the frame and the bell housing, so no problem verifying it with the original pink slip.

Suggestions?
Old 04-25-2017, 08:02 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: 1932 Serial Number List needed

Any reason you can't carry a laptop in and show them online? Or have them pull up the site? If you need a hard copy of what is there you need to use a screen capture program. I use the snipping tool app. Looks to me like your looking at July or August 1932.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Serial Numbers.jpg (75.4 KB, 63 views)
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:07 PM   #3
34fordy

The 1933-34 Ford Book from the Early Ford V8 Club of America on page 2-6
has the information you want for V8 and 4 cylinder models--

1932 4 cylinder numbers began 5,001,864 and ended 5,179,579--

Excellent book for you to own---Don

Last edited by 34fordy; 04-25-2017 at 08:10 PM. Reason: spelling
34fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:39 PM   #4
DavidG

Don,

With respect, I believe that you meant page 2-3 and that the numbers began with AB-5000001. The 'A' was dropped starting with engine number B-5062387. The log at the Rouge engine plant is not definitive as to the last four-cylinder engine configured for installation in a '32 chassis, but the best guesstimate is between B-5178212 and B-5178484.

Don,

You have my apologies as I now note that you were referring the '33-'34 book. Notwithstanding, the information on page 2-6 is very misleading in that one might assume that vehicle production time frames were the same as engine production time frames. The first '32 model four-cylinder engine/transmission assembly was manufactured in November, 1931, but the first '32 model vehicle built with a four-cylinder engine did not occur until early March, 1932. Further, '32 four-cylinder engine production ended in the U.S. in mid-December, a month and a half before that last '32 was assembled in the U.S. That chart will not reappear in the forthcoming revision of the '33-'34 book, but rather one where the distinction between engine production and vehicle production will be clear.

Last edited by DavidG; 04-25-2017 at 09:24 PM.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:56 PM   #5
Charlie Stephens

I would show up with "The 1932 Ford Book" and a copy of the page that they can keep in their file.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:10 PM   #6
rbullockv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Any reason you can't carry a laptop in and show them online? Or have them pull up the site? If you need a hard copy of what is there you need to use a screen capture program. I use the snipping tool app. Looks to me like your looking at July or August 1932.
Good idea, Jerry. I CAN take a snippet of the right section as well as the page header to show the link between the two.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:37 PM   #7
rbullockv8

Thanks, all. I finally found my box of auto books hidden away after our last move. There were a couple that mentioned the serial number range. I'm going to use those plus the fordgarage pages screenshots.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:12 AM   #8
Charlie Stephens

Rich,

Since this probably came through your father's estate I doubt there will be any sales tax due to the franchise tax board but be ready for them. They will try anything to get money to build "the train to nowhere".

Charlie Stephens
Old 04-26-2017, 05:38 AM   #9
Capn John

And of course Van Pelt's site:

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...ialnumbers.htm

and

http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/ABenginenumbers.htm
as you mention

Last edited by Capn John; 04-26-2017 at 05:45 AM.
Capn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:34 AM   #10
Terry,OH

I do not believe a lot of information is good for the DMV. I would show them one piece of documentation then and only then, if they want more, show them confirming documentation. Just My Opinion.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:00 AM   #11
V8ER

Pennsylvania wanted sales tax on the appraised value to transfer a title from my father's name to mine.
V8ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:47 PM   #12
1937pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
I do not believe a lot of information is good for the DMV. I would show them one piece of documentation then and only then, if they want more, show them confirming documentation. Just My Opinion.
I agree, the minimum amount of information is the best. Additional information can bring up questions that you never thought of. One thing that comes to mind is the disclaimer at the bottom of Van Pelts information about Ford not being the best record keepers.
1937pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:12 PM   #13
rbullockv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
I agree.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:13 PM   #14
rbullockv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Rich,

Since this probably came through your father's estate I doubt there will be any sales tax due to the franchise tax board but be ready for them. They will try anything to get money to build "the train to nowhere".

Charlie Stephens
I do have the original estate appraisal for my dad's property and cars. It lists the truck at $700. I can live with that!! :-)
Old 04-26-2017, 03:15 PM   #15
DavidG

Ford records are excellent as long as you look at the right records. A lot of the data floating around is not the product of someone rolling up their sleeves and slogging their way through the Rouge Plant Engine Log, which is an outstanding record of daily engine production including notations as to when running changes adopted by engine number.

The world of these numbers would be a lot simpler if Ford U.S. had adopted unique series of numbers for each model year's engine numbers like Ford of Canada, but they did not. The result is a lot of confusion, such as in this thread where calendar years and model years are implied to be the same thing (such as in the interpretation of the data in the '33-'34 book) and that simply is not even close to being factual.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:34 PM   #16
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullockv8 View Post
I do have the original estate appraisal for my dad's property and cars. It lists the truck at $700. I can live with that!! :-)
Rich,
Since it came through the estate I don't expect they will collect anything. Also since it is a transfer in the family I don't expect them to collect anything. They may try. They might also try to charge penalties for not reporting the transfer within a certain number of days. I hope it has been on a nonop status. I am definitely not an expert and don't know what you are going to encounter but I just wanted to add my thoughts on the subject, good luck, it sure looks good.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 04-26-2017 at 04:21 PM.