Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-14-2021, 02:21 PM   #1
Kilohertz

Default Coolant flow diagram

I am trying to find a coolant flow diagram for a '49 Flathead, but probably any year would be fine. I have searched the web and shop manuals but can't find any info.

Does anyone here have one you could post please and thanks? I'm trying to find the best place for the fuel injection coolant temp sender.

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2021, 02:45 PM   #2
Lawson Cox

Default Re: Coolant flow diagram

Hey. Just put it anywhere, it damned sure ain't stock anyhow. Okay, coolant flows from top of radiator to the bottom of the radiator, that gravity thingie don't you know. From there it has to be pumped back to the top of the radiator, via the engine block. "Stuff" don't run up hill. Jeeezze. (The devil made me do it.)

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 03:13 PM   #3
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
Hey. Just put it anywhere, it damned sure ain't stock anyhow. Okay, coolant flows from top of radiator to the bottom of the radiator, that gravity thingie don't you know. From there it has to be pumped back to the top of the radiator, via the engine block. "Stuff" don't run up hill. Jeeezze. (The devil made me do it.)

You know Lawson, "Kilohertz" asked a legitimate & entirely serious question. He even gave a damned good reason for asking. And you want to 'poo' on the guy because it goes against STOCK? Why don't you tell us all about the "STOCK" brakes on YOUR pick-up? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 03:25 PM   #4
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilohertz View Post
I am trying to find a coolant flow diagram for a '49 Flathead, but probably any year would be fine. I have searched the web and shop manuals but can't find any info.

Does anyone here have one you could post please and thanks? I'm trying to find the best place for the fuel injection coolant temp sender.

Thanks!
Not of a flathead V8, but this diagram should give you some clarity....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 11-14-2021 at 03:37 PM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 04:28 PM   #5
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
You know Lawson, "Kilohertz" asked a legitimate & entirely serious question. He even gave a damned good reason for asking. And you want to 'poo' on the guy because it goes against STOCK? Why don't you tell us all about the "STOCK" brakes on YOUR pick-up? DD
Hey Coop. Lighten up a bit how's about it. I gave him a legitimate answer, albeit with a slightly twisted sense of humor, and even a "damned good reason" for responding as I did. Besides, my brakes are stock for a 39. LOL.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 04:35 PM   #6
51 MERC-CT

Most likely any one of the (4) ports on the top edge of the heads would serve the purpose. (closest to thermostat exit may be best) Keeping in mind that the flathead has two separate cooling systems.
Old 11-14-2021, 06:27 PM   #7
Kilohertz

Jeeez, for a minute there I thought I had accidentally posted on the HAMB , but I appreciate the responses.

The CTS is supposed to be just ahead of the T-stat in the coolant system so that the ECM reads the actual engine temperature. Like 51 Merc mentioned, I was thinking that the 2 pipe thread ports on the top of the head would be best but I wasn't sure which one or one(s) to use, and where the intake carb heat crossover was tied to.

Anyway, would still like to find the flathead coolant diagram, I know there has to one out there somewhere.

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2021, 06:49 PM   #8
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Jeeez, for a minute there I thought I had accidentally posted on the HAMB , but I appreciate the responses.

Anyway, would still like to find the flathead coolant diagram, I know there has to one out there somewhere.

Thanks!

It was obvious to MOST of us that you were asking for a sincere reply!

For what it's worth, it's fairly common knowledge that Ford re-designed the '49-'53 engines with the intent of flowing more water toward the REAR of the engine, for what that is worth. And as noted above, remember that with a flathead, the water on one side of the block is completely isolated from the water in the other side of block.....EXCEPT for any mixing going-on in the radiator. MANY flatheads tend to run just a smidge (VERY few degrees)warmer on the passenger side. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 07:00 PM   #9
Kilohertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
For what it's worth, it's fairly common knowledge that Ford re-designed the '49-'53 engines with the intent of flowing more water toward the REAR of the engine, for what that is worth. And as noted above, remember that with a flathead, the water on one side of the block is completely isolated from the water in the other side of block.....EXCEPT for any mixing going-on in the radiator. MANY flatheads tend to run just a smidge (VERY few degrees)warmer on the passenger side. DD
Thank you, didn't know about the redesign. I think I will just use the forward port on the top of the head on the passenger side, I'm guessing the flow would come from the back of the engine toward the T-stat, or maybe it comes from below, around the cylinders and then forward, either way, I think that location will be the closest I will get short of fabricating a spacer to go below the T-stat.

Cheers!
Old 11-14-2021, 07:12 PM   #10
Ronnieroadster

Something that may be of concern depending on how sensitive the temp sensor needs to be for an accurate reading. On every flathead and even Ardun over head valve conversions I have been involved with I always see a ten degrees higher reading on the right side {passenger side} of the engines. This has been overall consistent with different vehicles. There is a conversion made for the flathead block that uses one water pump the water pump is from the 348 Chevy this conversion may be more accurate for a temp sensor used for the injection. I doubt the difference between the front one and rear one would result in any measurable temp reading difference since there both in a high flow exit location.

Using either one of the two pipe thread holes at the top of the heads would certainly give you a good location prior to the thermostat locations.

For carb heating the cross over is located at the base of the intake the heat is from the exhaust there's a small diameter hole on the top of the block where the heat rises into the receiving holes in the base of the intake manifold.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 07:23 PM   #11
Kilohertz

Thanks Ronnie, good info.

While we are talking cooling, could somebody please tell me how the truck heater core would be connected? I assume one end of the hose should go to the passenger side pump where the shutoff valve is, but does that go to the top of the core or the bottom, or does it matter, and also assume the other hose goes to the rear port on the top of the head??

Cheers!
Old 11-14-2021, 11:32 PM   #12
Brian

Okay, coolant flows from top of radiator to the bottom of the radiator, that gravity thingie don't you know. From there it has to be pumped back to the top of the radiator, via the engine block. "Stuff" don't run up hill. Jeeezze.
Actually Lawson, water does run uphill when its temperature rises...it's known as thermosyphon effect. The waterpumps are only there to assist this process....gravity has nothing to do with it.
Old 11-14-2021, 11:55 PM   #13
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post

Water flows up hill. Or something like that, I know you are being sarcastic. Just looking at the basic fluid dynamics most engines are not adapt to maximum flow. But fatheads have a special place in that design low river spots. In/out flow points and the block. Most motors of the age really didn't do a great job. Maybe the cad motors.

Hot water rises so going from the top of tank to input to the lower tank works. But it wouldn't work on its own without pumps or flow. All you would have is steam going to the upper rad with out pumps and pressure, so liquid water doesn't flow uphill.

I suppose you could entertain the idea of water cohesive properties. Like adding a rag to a glass of water and letting one end lower outside the glass. It will travel up the rag from the inside of the glass to the outside the glass down the rag.

The in/out water locations in flatheads leave the rear of the block a bit starving. But you know that and seeing the same thing over and over.

Last edited by Tinker; 11-15-2021 at 03:51 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 12:02 AM   #14
Tinker

Even a sbc has the intakes/exits in the front of the block. No way the back of the block doesn't suffer from flow. Why pressure is important. But like a river over time, deposits gather.
Old 11-15-2021, 12:09 AM   #15
Tinker

A heater core does a wonderful job of cooling the system as it adds more fluid mass and diverts heat. It's just another rad.
Old 11-15-2021, 01:59 AM   #16
ford38v8

Quote:
Thanks Ronnie, good info.

While we are talking cooling, could somebody please tell me how the truck heater core would be connected? I assume one end of the hose should go to the passenger side pump where the shutoff valve is, but does that go to the top of the core or the bottom, or does it matter, and also assume the other hose goes to the rear port on the top of the head??

Cheers!

I don't know of a difference with a truck's system, but the passenger car and light commercials have the valve on the head at the output to the heater hose, which then routes to the bottom of the heater core, then out the top and down to the lower radiator hose. This routing is important for two reasons: 1, to receive the hottest water possible, and 2, to prevent air pockets in the heater core.
Old 11-15-2021, 03:02 AM   #17
Tinker

good follow up alan.
Old 11-15-2021, 08:42 AM   #18
Frank Miller

Do you need extreme accuracy or does the efi just need to know when to go to warmed up mode? If you take a laser thermometer you can pinpoint temps in certain areas. Ford put the sensors in the middle of the head and my thought is that is the hottest part of the engine seeing how that's the water over the siamesed exhaust port.
If it is easy to use that as a starting point then do so and use the thermometer after you have it running to see how optimal it is.
Old 11-15-2021, 09:39 AM   #19
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
Do you need extreme accuracy or does the efi just need to know when to go to warmed up mode? If you take a laser thermometer you can pinpoint temps in certain areas. Ford put the sensors in the middle of the head and my thought is that is the hottest part of the engine seeing how that's the water over the siamesed exhaust port.
If it is easy to use that as a starting point then do so and use the thermometer after you have it running to see how optimal it is.
When flatheads were built there was no need for fuel injection temperature sensors.
Most if not all modern vehicles with fuel injection sensors have them located just before the thermostat in the thermostat housing, not necessarily the hottest spot in the system.
Old 11-15-2021, 10:04 AM   #20
19Fordy

Kilohertz: Here's the 8BA (2nd photo)and also the Lincoln (3rd photo) coolant flow pictorial as taken from the Merc Manual shown. 8BA is the same. Click on the photo. Hope it helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8282b.jpg (69.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8283b.jpg (49.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8284b.jpg (44.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8285b.jpg (58.6 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 11-15-2021 at 10:17 AM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote