Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-22-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
Ken Arms

Default 32-34 rear drum fit?

Can anyone tell me..I have a pair of used rear mech brake drums, when I put them on with a new bearing (dry no grease yet) no backing plate or shoes in the way and no key I can feel a wobble, its not a lot but its there. Is that normal or have I got worn race surfaces. I have a set of later ford juice drums that came off the car with grease in them and they have no wobble. Bearings are no name repops but im told they give no issues. Thanks so much Ken
Ken Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
Bruce in southern OH

Default Re: 32-34 rear drum fit?

Ken, I think you need the key and parts in place to check, the axle bolt torques to 100 to 110 that would take any wobble out, Bruce
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
Ken Arms

He Bruce, we seem to have alot of communication! I agree it might take the wobble away as you say but the bearing does not ride on a tapered surface, in other words you could possibly put the drum on with no bearing and it would feel tight. Just my 2cents. I may be over thinking it all. Ken
Ken Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
flatheadute1934
BANNED

Sounds like you need to shim the axle as the race is worn
flatheadute1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
David J

Not supposed to be tight . Not supposed to have excessive play either but you should grease it and check it then . The axle has NOTHING to do with tightening the bearing as it is a floating type rear . The axle drives the drum and keeps it from falling off but does NOT support any weight . If the housing doesn't show excessive wear on the BOTTOM and if the race in the hub doesn't show excessive wear and if the bearing isn't crapolla you should be good to go .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Arms View Post
Can anyone tell me..I have a pair of used rear mech brake drums, when I put them on with a new bearing (dry no grease yet) no backing plate or shoes in the way and no key I can feel a wobble, its not a lot but its there. Is that normal or have I got worn race surfaces. I have a set of later ford juice drums that came off the car with grease in them and they have no wobble. Bearings are no name repops but im told they give no issues. Thanks so much Ken
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:50 AM   #6
DICK SPADARO

There are two wear surfaces on a rear axle , the axle snout and the drum race. Either of these being worn will produce some issues, The wear on the axle snout is on the bottom so it is necessary to take a micrometer and measure the width and then rotate it around the clock of the snout to determine if it is worn. Determining the wear factor on the inner hub race is harder but you should check for pits or scores. Comparing the fit of non greased bearings to greased bearings is like apples to oranges.