Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-25-2018, 02:37 PM   #1
midgetracer

Default MAFCA renewal

I just received my renewal for MAFCA. $50 seems a lot for 4 magazines. While the magazines are nice, I do not believe that they are worth $12.50 per issue. There is no club in our state and so no other service is available to me. Does anyone have a convincing argument that would make me change my mind. I am on a fixed income and always short of operating cash. This forum answers all my questions missing only the pretty color pictures.
Undecided on renewal.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 02:49 PM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: MAFCA renewal

I get six Restorers.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:47 PM   #3
modelAsteve

Your club and it's officers get great coverage!
modelAsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:48 PM   #4
Ted Duke

IMHO supporting MAFCA and MARC keep the Model A alive. I own other antiques and there is nothing holding the owners together. The more of us that support the clubs and support the vendors the better off we all will be (and our children or grandchildren will be able to connect through the clubs). On-line is great, but it is NOT the same. Join a club.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:05 PM   #5
Cape Codder

Well, to be precise it cost $8.33 because you do get 6 issuses, one issue every two months BUT I can see your point about NO club in N.D. I was going to suggest to go over the state line but by gosh you are smack in the middle of N.D. Only other thing to do is to start a club in your area or maybe between you and someone else you know that owns an A. Just my cent and a half!
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:54 PM   #6
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetracer View Post
I just received my renewal for MAFCA. $50 seems a lot for 4 magazines. While the magazines are nice, I do not believe that they are worth $12.50 per issue. There is no club in our state and so no other service is available to me. Does anyone have a convincing argument that would make me change my mind. I am on a fixed income and always short of operating cash. This forum answers all my questions missing only the pretty color pictures.
Undecided on renewal.
6 issues...$8.33/issue...So just what would YOU like to see in a Model A magazine to make it worth just $8.33/issue????

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 10:31 PM   #7
daveymc29

I wrote a little book and published it. Selling for $18.00+ on Amazon and I will be over 100 years old before I break even. Creating a magazine is costly and I'm sure our subscriptions alone would not have MAFCA able to support the Restorer for very long. They sell advertising to help with expenses. Still it is probably a loser financially for the club of just breaks even. This is a quality publication and is professionally done, though by volunteers. I buy membership in Mark as well to get their magazine also as well as subscribing to the Model A Times and a couple of the other old car and classic car publications. This forum is free and I understand that I am more fortunate than some financially but I do enjoy the reading of these publications so it it part of the cost of the hobby for me. This forum is definitely a bargain. The suggestion to start a chapter is a good one and many of the members you sign up will be ever so grateful you made the effort. Just meet formally once a month in someones home or garage until it gets off the ground. Have someone make a newsletter that you can send to all the members and exchange with other clubs. These generally just cost time now that they can be sent out as attachments to email. Has saved our local club from insolvency as mailing is costly also. Beg; borrow or steal a roster of mafca members and call the ones in your area and see if they have entertained thoughts of a local club. You may be surprised at the response. Let us know how it goes.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:29 PM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelAsteve View Post
Your club and it's officers get great coverage!

I know MARC covers it's members as well on club events/outings. I don't know about MAFCA. Give the office a call.
Old 08-26-2018, 01:21 AM   #9
john charlton

I have belonged to both clubs for over 30 years and regard the cost as very well worth it even if I pay more as I am a foreign member .I am a member of the AA truck club and the AZ restorers club both require that I belong to one of the national clubs which is logical.My MARC magazine comes in a nice sturdy envelope but the MAFCA comes in cellophane which might be a foreign postage thing.I like to store the mags in the envelope but the cellophane does not work for me !!!

John in very heavy rain on the way Suffolk County England.
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:53 AM   #10
Oldbluoval

It is/should be more than cost "per issue"
It supports a commons effort.
However, if it has to be calculated per issue.....I'd let it go.
It is for a "common cause/good"
Imho
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:08 AM   #11
1931 flamingo

I'm lucky, my son and his wife "spring" for it for my birthday .
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:46 AM   #12
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by john charlton View Post
I have belonged to both clubs for over 30 years and regard the cost as very well worth it even if I pay more as I am a foreign member .I am a member of the AA truck club and the AZ restorers club both require that I belong to one of the national clubs which is logical.My MARC magazine comes in a nice sturdy envelope but the MAFCA comes in cellophane which might be a foreign postage thing.I like to store the mags in the envelope but the cellophane does not work for me !!!

John in very heavy rain on the way Suffolk County England.
John-
I use these slip case storage boxes to hold 2 years of The Restorer for longer term storage:

https://mafca.com/cart/index.php?productID=145

They keep the magazines organized and help me get back to a specific issue any time I need one. There is a very comprehensive index available for all issues that I look things up in, and then pull the box with the issue I'm looking for.

Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:05 AM   #13
Bob-A

Smile Re: MAFCA renewal

I'm sure more than a few of the older members here. Remember the arguments for (or against) combining the two national clubs. I for one think it would be a great idea. Unfortunately politics and most importantly ego's
are involved. So I doubt we will see that anytime soon....

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:50 AM   #14
jimalabam

Bob-A I don't disagree with you, BUT the idea has never worked or never will. Pluck: It is all there. Jim...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:27 PM   #15
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-A View Post
..... Unfortunately politics and most importantly ego's
are involved. So I doubt we will see that anytime soon....

Bob-A

I believe you are correct, Bob.

At the MAFCA convention, I walked up to the MAFCA table in the hospitality/pick-a-prize room and said, "What role do you perform for MAFCA?" (only, I pronounce the hard A like 'may-f-ka'. The guy from MAFCA looked at me weird and said, "No, it's maw-f-ka". I said, "I don't drive a Model aww, I drive a Model Aye". The guy actually started to get angry and was about to get physical (I couldn't believe it myself). A lady behind the table took his arm and told him to calm down. No, I am not kidding!

Apparently, there are some pretty thin skinned people on the MAFCA board (or at least at the MAFCA booth). I have been doing the mah-f-ka/may-f-ka schtick for years and usually draw a chuckle, never before been in fear of an actual fist thrown my way except from the guy with the MAFCA polo shirt on at the MAFCA table in Reno.

And they wonder why they cannot get more young people like me involved...
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:58 PM   #16
M2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
At the MAFCA convention, I walked up to the MAFCA table in the hospitality/pick-a-prize room and said, "What role do you perform for MAFCA?" (only, I pronounce the hard A like 'may-f-ka'. The guy from MAFCA looked at me weird and said, "No, it's maw-f-ka". I said, "I don't drive a Model aww, I drive a Model Aye". The guy actually started to get angry and was about to get physical (I couldn't believe it myself). A lady behind the table took his arm and told him to calm down. No, I am not kidding!

I can understand a fist fight over the which engine oil question, but what you describe is crazy.

Last edited by M2M; 08-26-2018 at 03:48 PM.
M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:14 PM   #17
oldman - NorCal

I can certainly understand your frustration with not having a local club nearby that offers like-minded Model A enthusiasts with an active membership and activity calendar. That said, I would be willing to bet that there are at least a dozen old Fords in the Bismarck area so I would encourage you to reach out to your community and try to find those individuals and attempt to form a club. I was in Iceland 2 years ago and saw 2 Model A's on the road...….If they are in Iceland they are in Bismarck, North Dakota. Both MAFCA and MARC are concerned with their respective clubs loosing membership as the old guys die off...…..if there not, they should be. Every member has to figure out for themselves why they belong, what they want from their membership and if the club is ultimately satisfying them. I'm pretty confident in saying that Fordbarn would not exist without the Model A clubs. Without the clubs and individuals like you, there is no hobby. I'm hoping you decide to renew your membership and discover over the course of the next 12 months, that you can get more out of it than the magazine.
oldman - NorCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:29 PM   #18
Jeff/Illinois

[QUOTE=P.S.;1667636]only, I pronounce the hard A like 'may-f-ka'. The guy from MAFCA looked at me weird and said, "No, it's maw-f-ka". I said, "I don't drive a Model aww, I drive a Model Aye". The guy actually started to get angry and was about to get physical (I couldn't believe it myself). A lady behind the table took his arm and told him to calm down. No, I am not kidding!

/QUOTE]

Here in Illinois and especially the Chi-caaaaago area we pronounce this MAAAAAA-FKA that would really trip his trigger!

Da Bears
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 03:07 PM   #19
BILL WILLIAMSON

[QUOTE=Jeff/Illinois;1667668]
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
only, I pronounce the hard A like 'may-f-ka'. The guy from MAFCA looked at me weird and said, "No, it's maw-f-ka". I said, "I don't drive a Model aww, I drive a Model Aye". The guy actually started to get angry and was about to get physical (I couldn't believe it myself). A lady behind the table took his arm and told him to calm down. No, I am not kidding!

/QUOTE]

Here in Illinois and especially the Chi-caaaaago area we pronounce this MAAAAAA-FKA that would really trip his trigger!

Da Bears
Jeff,
That WOULDN'T trip his trigger, if the firing pin had been filed! Have I been watchin' TOO MANY Old Westerns?????
Bill Cowpoke
Old 08-26-2018, 06:40 PM   #20
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post

Da Bears
Oh, yes!! Like MAAAAAAFKA!! Hilarious! "Da Bears" Also!

I was the M.C. for the Hubleys at the MAFCA Reno nationals and was tempted to work the may-f-ka thing in, but decided not to do it there. I did it on mic at the Apple Hill meet a few years ago and 90% of the crowd was less than amused. However, everyone under the age of 50 was in hysterics.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote