Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-27-2014, 05:01 PM   #1
givie

Default oil leak.....please help

I have a stock 1931 model A Pickup that has jsut developed an enormous oil leak. After cleaning the area I noticed it was coming from the passenger side, between the bell housing and the block. Yet this leak is approximately 2 1/2" above the pan and is actually coming from inside this seam area between the block and the bell housing....and it continues to leak when the car is not running. The oil on the dip stick is low and there is very little if any oil under the cover plate or dripping off the bottom bolt with the carter key.
If you could help it would be greatly appreciated.
Givie
givie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:46 PM   #2
Larry Seemann

Default Re: oil leak.....please help

usually a leak like that is coming from the end of the cam shaft. There is supposed to be a gasket between the block and the bell housing because the hole in the block where the rear of the cam shaft rides just goes right through the block.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:11 PM   #3
James Rogers

I told him that this morning.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:15 PM   #4
givie

Yes you did James, and thank you. I was just able to post on the Barn so I want others to also evaluate my problem. Thanks everyone
Old 10-27-2014, 10:39 PM   #5
Flathead

Listen to Larry and James. That pretty much has to be the problem.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:25 PM   #6
700rpm

We're all telling him the same thing in each of his requests. I think he was having some computer difficulty and that may have been the cause of his multiple posts with the same request.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:53 PM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Did you do work on the engine or did this just happen on an already running engine?
Old 10-28-2014, 02:49 AM   #8
colin1928

camshaft
colin1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:41 AM   #9
givie

Yes, I have been working on the engine. I replaced the distributor with a new one. The new dizy had a internal condenser and a two piece shaft rather than the original. Could this have anything to do with my oil leak, there was never a leak before the new dizy instalation?
Old 10-28-2014, 11:08 AM   #10
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Givie,

I am assuming that in your initial question, you described an oil leak 2-1/2" up & above the oil pan; & that this leak is occurring between the rear of the engine block & the flywheel housing ..... as opposed to the leak happening between the rear of the flywheel housing & the front side of the bell housing where there is no seal or gasket.

If it were leaking profusely up high at the bell housing/flywheel housing joint, appears part of the oil would most likely drip downwards by gravity inside the bell housing & ultimately exit the center bottom hole in the flywheel housing where the cotter pin is placed.

Changing out to a new a distributor should have no effect on your previously described oil leak ..... unless there is more to this experience that what has already been described.

Providing more exacting details always helps when one is thousands of miles away trying to guess at what problems you are trying to resolve.

Just hope this helps.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:50 AM   #11
givie

I will try to explain the problem in more detail. I had been working on the engine and before this, the oil leak never existed. I replaced the distributor which has an internal condenser and is two piece (shaft and the dizy body), rather than the original. After setting the timing and points I took the truck for a ride and everything seemed fine until I noticed a 12" in diameter oil spot. I looked under the truck, cleaned the oil off the surface and noticed that the oil continued to leak with the truck not running. The oil was flowing out of the seam between the back of the engine block and the front of the flywheel housing, 2 1/2" above the pan. Could the dizy instalation have anything to do with my oil leak, there was never a leak before?
Old 10-28-2014, 11:54 AM   #12
hardtimes

Hey givie,
Welcome aboard !
Well, we all pretty much lined up behind the possible reason for your oil leaking engine. In PM, I told you about possible fix. Let us know what you do eventually find and fix,eh ! We also like pictures, when you figure that one out

No connection i.e.- betw oil leak and distributor. Although a stock A has not much oil pressure, it has it's most when oil is cold/thickest. So, pressure provided to cam..rear bearing areas..somewhat, ergo leaking situation when 'gasket' not proper.
Tell some about you vehicle and ownership. Is this an original, unrestored A, engine overhauled, what ??

Last edited by hardtimes; 10-28-2014 at 12:00 PM. Reason: ..........
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:28 PM   #13
Purdy Swoft

Parked with the front uphill ?
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 02:24 PM   #14
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Givie,

Mystery oil leak when engine is stopped?

1. Engine is tilted a slight bit from front to rear.

2. Behind the passenger side's valve cover is a valve chamber which can contain oil which was placed there by the oil pump when the engine was running.

3. In this valve chamber, at the rear, (where oil level is deepest), is a small hole which leads to the rear of the camshaft.

4. If the engine is suddenly stopped, the valve chamber still contains oil which can slowly drain through this rear hole down to the rear of the camshaft.

5. From the rear of the camshaft, oil can seep out between the rear of the block & the front face of the flywheel cover, & very, very slowly leak until the valve chamber is empty ................ if & only if there is no positive seal at the proper location of the proposed flywheel housing gasket.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:27 PM   #15
givie

Parked on a flat surface.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:42 PM   #16
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

If you did not have the engine out and apart and this problem just started with nothing being done except the distributer, you are going to need to take it out now. If it is the cam shaft gasket, something ripped it and even it it just somehow just failed on it's own due to age or the like, it has to come apart to replace the gasket.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:57 PM   #17
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Givie,

This sort of rear leak was most common on Model A's when Model A parts suppliers & parts became scarce around the mid 1950's.

Some people decided & tried to use the same old already compressed gasket.

Some tried no gasket, & some tried to form a gasket with the old Indian Head Shellac that used to come in a bottle.

With vibration, & hitting bumps, this hard shellac used with no gasket had no tensile strength could crack & begin to leak.

One can guess at what you have, but the joint has to come apart to actually "see" why it is leaking.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:06 PM   #18
Richard in Anaheim CA

It sounds like the rear cam journal BUT, check the upper connection to the drain down tube. Oil will flow like a river if the bolt comes loose. You said it came on suddenly. That doesn't sound like the cam.
Richard in Anaheim CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:22 AM   #19
Purdy Swoft

iI tried explaining that the other night on PMs
Old 10-29-2014, 12:17 PM   #20
Purdy Swoft

If its not something simple like an outside oil line or valve cover leak, its time to remove the engine and do exploritory surgery. Probably more than a newby mechanic will be prepared to do or know what the actual problem is if its stareing them in the face. Not trying to be brutal, just a fact. If Givie was a model A mechanic, he wouldn't be asking.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:12 PM   #21
larrys40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
If its not something simple like an outside oil line or valve cover leak, its time to remove the engine and do exploritory surgery. Probably more than a newby mechanic will be prepared to do or know what the actual problem is if its stareing them in the face. Not trying to be brutal, just a fact. If Givie was a model A mechanic, he wouldn't be asking.

I absolutely agree with that Purdy
Time to pull the engine but he needs another experienced a mechanic to assist or do it for him. If there's no gasket at the flywheel housing and no evidence of other leaks I'd be inclined to tell him to gasket the block/flywheel housing and reinstall . If the pan is leaking remove/clean/replace with new gaskets and reinstall
Givie , the fb replies have covered it well
Best of luck
Larry s
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 01:16 PM   #22
Y-Blockhead

Maybe before you go pulling the engine you MAY want to invest in a Leak Detection Kit that uses UV Rays and a florescent dye in your oil (or water, gas, etc) to determine where exactly it is leaking... maybe something simple.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/trl-tp-8621/overview/
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 06:27 PM   #23
givie

I want to thank everyone for all the valuable information that I will eventually utilize as soon as time is available. This is a wonderful club simply because of all the valued members. Thanks again for all the help.
Givie