Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-19-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
d_Seymour

Default !929 Roadster Rumble Seat Pan asistance

The rumble seat pan rear flange is notched on either end. The inside rumble pan does not seal to the sub frame to keep weather out what is missing. Also the front pan flange overlaps the mounting bolt holes and there is a gap on either side of the pan and sub frame same question weather.
Question two does the rear corner align to the rear cross member with the body bead extend pass cross member.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0690.JPG (137.9 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0687.JPG (188.4 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0692.JPG (168.0 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0695.JPG (190.5 KB, 71 views)
d_Seymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:50 AM   #2
Randy in ca

Default Re: !929 Roadster Rumble Seat Pan asistance

Your Seat Pan is too far ahead - looks like it needs to go to the rear about an inch or so. Also the front of the rear curved inner panel should mount on top of the rear edge of the seat pan.

I re-attached one of your pictures with some labeling. Also a couple of coupe/cabriolet pictures that I saved from somewhere - setup is exactly the same with them.

Quarter panel should be flush with the rear sub frame cross-member and the "T" molding protrudes it's depth. The wheelwell arc on the quarter panel and the rear sub frame cross-member should align when viewed from the side. Hope this helps some, Good Luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roadster Floorpan placement.JPG (90.7 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpeg 1930 coupe - rear flooring, etc..jpeg (93.5 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg Cabriolet - rear body inner panels, flooring.jpg (33.0 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg Cabriolet - rear body panels, etc..jpg (34.8 KB, 99 views)
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:08 AM   #3
eeyore

Thanks that was very well done,from another 29 roadster , still being built
eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:01 AM   #4
d_Seymour

Randy Clear as mud with the pictures. What through me off is the replacement curved panel is not angled correctly to allow the pan to sit back far enough. Panel has no angle. Does anyone know correct angle required and how to mate to rumble pan top.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:01 AM   #5
Kevin in NJ

Have fun making it all fit together. Been there done that- here are some comments to help you avoid some pitfalls.

Find some original parts and stuff will just work. The repro stuff is not so good. You are going to have some fit issues! I went with not so good original pan to have some starting point in my car.

If you are doing a rumble seat do not forget to put the rumble stop bracing on the bottom side of the seat pan. They need to be welded down tight as it needs to keep a rumble lid in place.

You will need to bolt everything down very tight and test fit. A real pia to get functional.

Some minor details. The repro curved rear panel should have oval head screws. The repros are flat so you need round head screws. The front edge of the rumble panel was riveted to the top of the cross sill. The rear edge of the rumble floor pan is riveted to the front edge of the cross sill. If you have vol 6 of the How to Restore Your Model A you will find some details in the 68C article. All original lower rear outside panels would have a hole for the rear spare. It was plugged when side mounts were installed. You need to be careful on spacing the bottom edge of the rumble lid with repro panels. The original lid bottom curved up to the edges and the lower rear panel curved down.

At the shows most cars get all these part wrong and they do not function properly. No hole for spare means repro lower panel, they also have chipped paint at the corners where the rumble lid hits because the gap is too tight.

Some helpful picts are here: Rumble lids
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:54 PM   #6
pooch

Quote:
You need to be careful on spacing the bottom edge of the rumble lid with repro panels. The original lid bottom curved up to the edges and the lower rear panel curved down.
Any chance of a pic/s to show this clearly?
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:51 PM   #7
d_Seymour

Clearly shown angle of new panel open from manufacturer will not readily align with rumble seat platform. carp more work to create correct angle. Should the seat pan butt up against triangle side brackets to determine correct angle. Going to be a bugger to bend panel to correct angle. Anyone want to suggest angle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0698.JPG (222.4 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0700.JPG (153.3 KB, 48 views)
Old 09-20-2011, 06:25 PM   #8
Kevin in NJ

Do you have the correct panel?

There are 2 different curved inner panels. I know the cabriolet used the shorter one, but the roadster might have used a long one??? I do not know which is correct for your car. I thought the 28-29 roadster used a tall lower rear panel and that would need long curved inner panel. Please someone in the know speak up.

I did not get my 3 holes on the sides to line up with the original triangle brackets and so I drilled new ones.

You have to keep in mind that all the repro parts do not work well together. You have make it all work. You also need the rumble stops as you are going to have to make them fit that angle too. I had to adjust the repro rumble stops to fit the repro curved inner panel. I made the holes all match up to the original rumble platform holes at the back edge. If you know of an original rumble platform then you may want to make a template of the holes and copy them.

You are going to have side mounts, is that correct? I ask because you would need the banana brace that is riveted to the curved inner panel and a square hole cut in the curved inner panel.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:25 AM   #9
Randy in ca

All Roadsters and the 30-31 Coupes use the taller inner and outer panels (outer panels about 9 to 9-1/2" tall). The 30-31 outer panels have a bead along the bottom edge.

1928-29 Coupes and all cabriolets use shorter panels - the outer panel is about 2" shorter (7+ inches) and is plain, i.e. no bead on the lower edge.

Any chance you have either the wrong inner or outer panel? How do things line up with the triangle brackets - anywhere close? I'm pretty sure I have an original tall style inner panel - if all else fails I can check and take some pictures, dimensions, etc. for you.
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:32 AM   #10
d_Seymour

Appreciate your asistance I was a lttle worried my post would become stale. The Triangle panel holes align quit well to the curved panel. One hole on either side has enough overlap to prevent screw from going through.You can see the skin of your finger thou so minor ream job. In my first post the close up picture is with the cuvered panel mounted with two screws on either side. Looks to be right length as the curved panel rumble bend starts just before the end of the triangle brackets. I do have all braces on hand spare tire brackets and rumble stops, waiting to set the seat first othrwise I am type of guy who gets myself side tracked. Believe based on Randy's pictures the curved panel need to be tweaked increase the angle of attack. Big question is angle. Going to try out a metal brake tomorrow night see if I can jerry rig increasig curved panel angle.
As long as I have some attention my plan was to use a thearded rod to set the distance between rumble decklid mounting bracket any ideas as to distance to target for proper fit.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:38 AM   #11
d_Seymour

Appreciate your asistance I was a lttle worried my post would become stale. The Triangle panel holes align quit well to the curved panel. One hole on either side has enough overlap to prevent screw from going through.You can see the skin of your finger thou so minor ream job. In my first post the close up picture is with the cuvered panel mounted with two screws on either side. Looks to be right length as the curved panel rumble bend starts just before the end of the triangle brackets. I do have all braces on hand spare tire brackets and rumble stops, waiting to set the seat first othrwise I am type of guy who gets myself side tracked. Believe based on Randy's pictures the curved panel need to be tweaked increase the angle of attack. Big question is angle. Going to try out a metal brake tomorrow night see if I can jerry rig increasig curved panel angle.
As long as I have some attention my plan was to use a thearded rod to set the distance between rumble decklid mounting bracket any ideas as to distance to target for proper fit.