Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-27-2016, 08:31 AM   #21
Terry, NJ

Default Re: Model A Fordor?

And that doesn't include the seats and doors. We'll be scaring the heck to of him! I don't want to do that.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Just look, this is from Brent's site,
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:34 AM   #22
Hotrodfil

I had no desire to own a Fordor.
Here's the '30 RHD Briggs that changed my mind.

Hotrodfil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:56 AM   #23
jeep44

Terry NJ: Your Fordor looks very similar to mine! Fortunately, the wood structure in mine was solid, other than in a rear door where mice had built a nest for 30 years-there the wood just crumbled away. I was able to find another door at a swap meet. Even if you don't have the cost of a wood kit, there is the very high cost of the upholstery kit-I always joke that it would be like totally re-doing my Great-grandmothers parlor. I expect I'm just going to drive my '30 Briggs around just like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1404.jpg (105.4 KB, 53 views)
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:59 AM   #24
Brianfrench65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
Who is putting it in?
Carl Snearson, Rochester, NH
Old 01-27-2016, 10:14 AM   #25
Pat Martone

My understanding is as follows.
The 1931 Slant Windshield (S/W) Fordor models 160A, 160B (Town Sedan), and 160C (Blindback), do not use structural wood like the previous years' Fordors. They do however, have a wood windshield header and wood-ribbed roof, just as the touted all-steel Tudors. I wanted a Fordor, but didn't want the risk of bad/rotten/missing structural wood, so I got a 160B.
Pat Martone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:17 AM   #26
burner31

'31 SW town sedan 160-B...the only way to go
Very little wood, lots of room in back and cozy up front
But then again...My view is "slanted" toward that model
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:21 AM   #27
eagle

The roomy interior of the Fordor is really nice, my inlaws are in their late 70's and can get in/out of the back seat easily. My wife and I, our two young daughters, and "grandma and grandpa" can take the car out to eat, sometimes 45 miles one way. We all fit in quite comfortably and with that many people in, rides great. If buying one though make sure to check the wood. Easiest quick check is to see if the doors sag. I got lucky, didn't have a clue what I was buying but the wood is like new, and is original.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:55 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep44 View Post
All four doors have a wood framework,too.
The 31 Slant window two?
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:56 AM   #29
mike657894

lots of wood. mine was pretty good. had to search with the nails and longer nails to make my soft top recover work and my car lived its life inside for many many years. if i have to do the top again i will have to rewood the roof. i love my car! her name is Betsy.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:56 PM   #30
Pat Martone

No, the 31 Slant Window Fordors do not use door and body wood.
Pat Martone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 02:05 AM   #31
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Martone View Post
No, the 31 Slant Window Fordors do not use door and body wood.
You have the wood for the roof of course, but then there is little wood pieces around the door posts used for tacking the fabric, other then that all you have is the front floor board, and that's it.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 02:13 PM   #32
Terry, NJ

Thank you for your kind words! Mice will do that (Imagine what they do to aluminum airplanes, mouse pee can disintegrate that very well too) It's a Briggs 1930 Town Sedan. (Cowl lights, rear interior light, rear armrest, etc. Mine was sitting in a falling down barn, which leaked at the wall and roof next to the right side and pretty much rotted everything away. I bought it at a farm auction, Had I known more about Mod A s, I would have left it there or bought it for parts, but I'm too far into it now. I just have to paint it and marry the body to the frame and I can move on to just assy and get it back together.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep44 View Post
Terry NJ: Your Fordor looks very similar to mine! Fortunately, the wood structure in mine was solid, other than in a rear door where mice had built a nest for 30 years-there the wood just crumbled away. I was able to find another door at a swap meet. Even if you don't have the cost of a wood kit, there is the very high cost of the upholstery kit-I always joke that it would be like totally re-doing my Great-grandmothers parlor. I expect I'm just going to drive my '30 Briggs around just like this:
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:36 AM   #33
freak

Bought my fordor to easily haul my family. Everyone has their own door. Never regretted it once.
freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 02:05 AM   #34
H. L. Chauvin

Just one opinion from actual vintage experiences:

Had a 1930 coupe for 58 years.

Quite comfortable for two passengers.

However, when young, we would jam three (3) fairly normal width young behinds on the front seat with end passengers having elbows out of windows.

In a crunch, (when young), a fourth passenger would sit on the passenger's lap that is sitting next to the passenger side's door -- worked for double dating going to dances back then -- who sat on who ..... always caused giggles.

Fodors can very comfortably seat two passengers in front and two in the rear seat; and three (normal width) behinds in back seat, depending perhaps on carbohydrate consumption.

Prior to seat belt laws, packing passengers in cars & trucks like sardines over 50 years ago was far more acceptable than today.

Appears only natural that there will "always" be people today who like to travel comfortably in a Model A with more than one (1) adult passenger and hence would prefer a Fordor.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 01-30-2016 at 02:11 AM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 07:45 AM   #35
Aerocraft

Have had a very comfortable '30 Coupe for 57 years. Although it is still my favorite, there is nothing like a Fordor sedan, my '29 Murray Town sedan, to carry friends and family around. Once had 8 of my grandkids in the car for a "mystery" trip to the local ice cream store for treats. I have labeled my Fordor the "Queen of the Fleet" Great fun !!

Gar Williams
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1929 155A 6.jpg (62.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 10470854_10202670005256862_4650753449278149153_o.jpg (48.1 KB, 52 views)
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:50 AM   #36
Y-Blockhead

Aerocraft, Great "selfie". Lotsa room to spare.https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attach...0&d=1454157894
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:50 AM   #37
MichaelSchwarzer

Replacing the wood is a very rewarding job, but does take its time. My brother is a cabinet maker and was of great help. See www.fordmodela.com

Michael
Old 01-30-2016, 11:57 AM   #38
mshmodela

When I was looking for a Model A I wanted a Fordor but did not find one that was in good shape for what I wanted to spend. I think they are very classy and has already been mentioned, you have to really inspect the wood on these as they have more of it..

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:57 AM   #39
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelSchwarzer View Post
Replacing the wood is a very rewarding job, but does take its time. My brother is a cabinet maker and was of great help. See www.fordmodela.com

Michael
Michael, As I also have a 1930 Briggs Town Sedan I have visited your site often for reference on various items of interest and thoroughly enjoyed following your "adventure". Thanks for posting.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 01:27 PM   #40
H. L. Chauvin

One (1) worthwhile Fodor purchasing experience:

Even if one owned one (1) or more particular models/year built Model A's for many years, prior to purchasing a particular different year, body style, and type of Model A., it is never a bad idea to ask former Model A owners questions, especially when unfamiliar with other Model A body styles, and different Model A mechanical and accessory items.

Before driving out quite a distance to buy my 1930 Briggs Town Sedan, I was advised by Mr.Marco and Mr. Ron Cloat, (Rainmaker Ron), that this particular Model A had a wood frame; hence, a few things to look for with caution:

1. Is or was the car ever parked and stored out-of-doors; water can get in through side glasses and rot all (4) wood doors; and through a slightly leaking top and rot the perimeter wood structure.

2. As mentioned above; check door belt rail for horizontal alignment to see if any door is sagging.

3. From Mr. Marco: Place one foot on the running board with knee placed against bottom of door, and apply slight pressure with one hand at top of door, to verify door wobble, and/or if door wood substructure is solid without squeaking and rattling.

4. Black high gloss or satin paint looks good on rotted wood; however, crawl under car to see if wood is painted and if exposed wood on door bottoms is painted ...... if so, insert the pointed tip of a pocket knife into paint in several areas to verify if wood is solid or if some former owner even years ago painted over rotten wood.

5. Start car, drive car, apply brakes, look inside radiator, look at oil "after" driving, look for oil/water leaks on concrete, (not grass), after parking "after" driving ...... verify if all lights and horn work, verify that the interior lights work; windshield wiper. Many times, when everything works, vehicle was at the very least was well maintained by former owners.

6. Ask owner questions about vehicle's history, repairs, etc.

7. Everything checked out ..... car had been stored in two (2) former owner collections for past 30 years and had always been stored indoors ....... plus, former owner was very honest.

As Mr. Rainmaker Ron advised ..... there are more Model A's for sale than Model A buyers ...... shop locally and on line; and one always has a choice to either enjoy riding in his already serviceable Model A ..... or enjoy spending tons of money while working in a garage restoring his un-restored Model A ....... and finally, after inspecting same, we usually get what we pay for when buying a Model A.

Hope this helps in buying a wood framed Fodor ...... complete Model A wood kits are most expensive and very time consuming to install.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote